What's going on here? Uneven window trim

Slunkie

VIP Member
The previous owner of my van fitted side windows 'kombi' style but the interior 'u' trim sits very uneven.

I'm not sure but suspect not quite enough of the metal panel was removed. Can anyone confirm and provide a picture of where the metal should be trimmed to please?

I'm thinking it's going to be very tricky to trim extra now the window is boned in but I'm tempted to try as it looks awful as it is.

PXL_20230927_091121383.jpg
PXL_20230927_091132765.jpg

What does the rest of the "boned" :whistle: edge look like ie the sides and top?
I'm thinking you could take it further back with maybe an oscillating tool with a D shaped metal blade, either way wider U section rubber trim would look better when the metal edge has the corrugation from the pillar metalwork.

Haha I meant bonded...

There's the same problem at the top with a few kinks along the edge but the rest, sides etc look fine.

PXL_20230927_101406975.jpg

So you think trim the bumpy area back a touch and then use thicker u trim?

Anyone have any examples pictures of the correct extent of metal trimming in this area? I've watched some YouTube guides but they never seem to show the finer details like this.

Not the best pic, but does show outer skin flush with inner skin.
We don't use the knock on edging, much better with carpet wrapped over the 2 skins.
It's possible to wrap carpet once window is fitted, but much harder. ( we generally do this on kombis has they arrive with glass In )
I can't see easy way to trim that steel down. Personally I'd remove window and trim or make oversized surround to cover the mess ( not ideal )
Have the cut edges been primed ? If not if definitely remove.
This is what happens when some people watch YouTube

Screenshot_20230927_141730_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20230927_141749_Facebook.jpg

Back