Wheel sizes and tyres for T6.1 T32 4 Motion

kingi01

My apologies if this is an item that has been posted before but as a new VW owner and forum rookie I hope someone can help. I have a 2024 T6.1 4Motion T32 and would like to upgrade to other wheels than the standard 17". What size wheels and tyres would be usable (I need to tow a caravan around Europe) and what changes should I make to fit larger wheels and tyres (it seems many people have suspension changes - why?). I have been looking at 20" but unsure if 19" is better and as to wheel width I should buy, and what tyres are compatible (I have seen used wheels for sale but usually with 275 but when I look at many vans they seem to use 265 or 255 rather than 275?

You can use 18, 19 or 20 inch wheels, I believe people have even gone bigger but 20" is about the biggest commonly used size.
Many people upgrade their vans suspension to give a better ride and handling and often to reduce the "arch gap", but you can fit most tyre sizes without changing the suspension. How you decide to go down this route will be determined by what you want to achieve and your budget.
In order to know what rim width to buy and what tyres to fit, you need to understand the basics of offset or "poke"and aspect ratio.
The simplest part of tyre purchasing in your case is that as the owner of a T32 your new tyres must have a load rating of at least 103.

Have a browse through some of these threads, there is a wealth of information on here!

Reactions: Bav
For more help it's easier for us if you already have a style or use in mind. Ie. do you want bigger wheels, are you after a better ride, does it need to perform on muddy tracks or are you just trying to change the look?
As @DaveD mentions above, for the T32 you'll need a 103 load rated tyre as a minimum but also the wheels must be rated to 860 kg. Again, this is a minimum.
The last critical item is that for your 4 motion, all 4 tyres must have an as good as identical circumference. Obviously if you go for the same wheel and tyre package all round this is easy. If you go for a staggered set up with wider rears then you'd need to ensure that any combination of widths and profiles give you a circumference as close as possible.

It's good just to search the forum for names and sizes of wheels/tyres/suspension that you're considering. There will usually be someone who has been there before and they will usually have lots to say about the experience!

Some more background reading for you...

For more help it's easier for us if you already have a style or use in mind. Ie. do you want bigger wheels, are you after a better ride, does it need to perform on muddy tracks or are you just trying to change the look?
As @DaveD mentions above, for the T32 you'll need a 103 load rated tyre as a minimum but also the wheels must be rated to 860 kg. Again, this is a minimum.
The last critical item is that for your 4 motion, all 4 tyres must have an as good as identical circumference. Obviously if you go for the same wheel and tyre package all round this is easy. If you go for a staggered set up with wider rears then you'd need to ensure that any combination of widths and profiles give you a circumference as close as possible.

It's good just to search the forum for names and sizes of wheels/tyres/suspension that you're considering. There will usually be someone who has been there before and they will usually have lots to say about the experience!
Thanks for the advice, just cosmetic upgrade really. As I plan to tour and tow a caravan need to make sure my aspirations are compatible. I assume as long as the profile is the same then width differences front and back are not an issue?

You must have the same circumferance for 4 Motion, so if you have different widths then you must adjust the ratio accordingly.

Tire Size Comparison is a useful tool.

However the general advice is same tyres all round.

I assume as long as the profile is the same then width differences front and back are not an issue?
The profile is a percentage of the width, if you change the width then that percentage is the same percentage of a bigger number.
Unless you've set your heart on a staggered setup I'd keep all four wheels and tyres identical.

You must have the same circumferance for 4 Motion, so if you have different widths then you must adjust the ratio accordingly.

Tire Size Comparison is a useful tool.

However the general advice is same tyres all round.

Thank you

The profile is a percentage of the width, if you change the width then that percentage is the same percentage of a bigger number.
Unless you've set your heart on a staggered setup I'd keep all four wheels and tyres identical.
Thank you!

Back