Wheeliams Barn Door spare wheel carrier

Greenhouse

Has anyone fitted a Wheeliams T6.1 Barn Door spare wheel carrier.
Looking for any feedback, before ordering.
Thanks

Hiya Greenhouse. I notice that your post got no replies. I've just joined the forum, and came across this post, and would be interested to know if you went ahead and ordered a carrier.

I have recently bought a lwb T30 that has a carrier fitted (I'm not sure what make it is, but very similar to the one on the Wheeliams website for use on a T4.) This has been allowed to come slightly loose after fitting, which I hadn't noticed before purchase, and movement with the wheel in place has caused slight but noticable creasing in the lower panel where it's bolted through.

I took the van to a local company to have an awning rail fitted, and at the same time they looked at the carrier and took it off to install a larger backing plate, and tighten up where it was loose. Hopefully it'll prevent more damage......

I also noted on the Wheeliams site that they do a swing away version that fits to the barn door hinges, which sounds a better idea, and might be less prone to problems. As above, I'd be interested to know if you went ahead with the purchase, and if so then which type of carrier, and if you've fitted it. Pics on the website are a bit hard to see whether or not the wheel obscures the light cluster, but I guess that depends on wheel size, maybe?

I did post to a Facebook group about my problem, but didn't get a response...

Last edited:
Reactions: CAB
Have not ordered one yet.
I really wanted to know how it bolts to the barn door hinges.
Contacted William Smith at Wheeliams (very helpful) who explained, You remove the rubber bumper out of the hinge. Open the hole out to 8.5mm and bolt into the back of the hinge.
Bolting through the van door not a problem, would fit a substantial spreader plate.
Think this one could be the best option.

Many thanks for the update. I'd looked at Wheeliams website, but all the info and fitting instructions seemed to be missing, or links not working, so contacting them directly seemed the thing to do. I'm hanging fire for the moment to see if the larger backing pad put in yesterday stops the lower panel damage from getting worse. Fingers crossed!

If you do go ahead, please post again saying how you got on, with pics too if you can. That would be much appreciated.

Recently come back from Skye and took a 20" 8.5J spare on a tow bar holder called a Bak-Rak which worked really well with no issues. 1400+ miles.
Fold it down to open both doors, very secure, no drama, pleased to say we didn't need the spare after all. £165 made in the UK.

20240806_112239.jpg

20240806_173738.jpg

I've just posted a thread and on the Wheeliams bracket and my experience etc, not sure how to add or link it here - sorry, hopefully the search will help.

Back