Which ‘mods’ will affect trade-in valuation?

t6blo

Ex-owner
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Some of the mods on my van are irreversible e.g. the coilovers due to selling the OEM suspension, rear spoiler and headlining in the rear due to carpet lining. But others are reversible e.g. roof rails, alloys, side bars, front splitter etc.

Am I going to see a reduced valuation/reluctance to deal or the same as a stock van from main dealers/motorway/webuyanyvan and others?

On my last van I returned it to as close to standard as possible when selling but this time I’m not sure I can be bothered.

Not expecting to greatly inflate the value due to ‘mods’ as that is rarely what happens.

Last edited:
I would think it depends whether your taste aligns with the general public or whether you are a unique individual ;)

Most of the things you’ve listed are what people look for in a van that’s not used as a commercial. So I think they should help it sell and not detract but it all depends on how extreme you’ve gone. From what I’ve seen of your van it all looks quite tastefully done, but that’s just means what’s been done aligns to my taste (not normally good according to my kids) and for now at least I’m not in the market for a van!

I guess the quality of the work done will play a part when any prospective buyer comes to view and sees it close up. Selling to a dealer I’m guessing they would look for stuff that appears oem

The biggest MOD i did to my ID Buzz was BUY it instead of Contract Hiring it . that cost me 30 K pounds in 4000 miles depreciation only enjoyed by Land Rover and Porsche i thought . Its gone never to be replaced . Dealers have no idea how to value electric cars and they are scared of them .

I have seen vans listed on approved used with mods such as yours and seam to be the same price as non modded. your mods are pretty subtle so I would not expect them to make much difference however thats just based on what i have seen im by no means am expert.

The other thing to consider is they probably wont add value either, particularly as they will have cost you a few pounds!
financially you would probably be better off selling the mods you can, such as the wheels and putting devonports back on as they are significantly cheaper for a used set to your 19's.
internal lining etc would just remain as cant really take it out.
If you can fit suspension yourself you might be quids in going back to OEM but probably not much in it for the hassle.
any leisue equipment etc you would probably be best to take out and sell.

the above only really applies to main dealer etc as you mentioned. If you are selling to an enthusiast then the mods could add some valve, however I doubt as much as they cost you. Plus you will always get more for a private sale!

Back