Hi all. Newbie here so sorry if this is all abit basic.

My question is... Which Engine would you recommend for a camper conversion? 110, 150 manual or 150 DSG?

My main concern is mpg. I am not going to be racing it around, so long as it keeps up well with traffic and can manage the extra weight of a camper.

I've heard rumors of gear box issues with the 5 speed.

Any advice would be great!
Thank you
Ross

Welcome to the forum. All well be fine, but my choice would be (was) the 150 DSG.

I'd also suggest you go for a T30. A T28 can work as a camper (but you'll be close to your GVW) and a T32 is problematic off you want to go down the 20" wheel route.

What kind mpg are you averaging? VW say the 150 manual is the most economical but from what I've read on here I'm not too sure.
I drive quite gently - average seems to be 36 to 38 mpg on the MFD. That of course might not be a true MPG! I have never actually measured full to empty against odometer.

LWB T32 Camper conversion BTW.

The 150 for sure. Had a 110 previously and its a bit gutless going uphill with a full conversion. My now 150 T32 breezes along compared to it

I have 150 manual T32 ( and 4motion), driven like a campervan rather than a Mk11 Golf.
Extra power over the previous T5 I had is useful on the hills.

T32 very welcome if I have camper fully loaded with bikes on the back and boats on top.

DSG I didn’t spec to keep some budget for the 4Motion. I’m happy with manual, but DSG would be nice to have.

Edit: LWB was the first thing on the list!

What kind mpg are you averaging? VW say the 150 manual is the most economical but from what I've read on here I'm not too sure.
I've got a 150tdi DSG caravelle so comparable weight to a camper.

Just got 42-43mpg on a 450 mile round trip from Kent to Wales, mostly sitting at 65-67mph on the motorway, with some enforced 50mph sections. 600+ miles out of the 70l tank.

Welcome to the forum. All well be fine, but my choice would be (was) the 150 DSG.

I'd also suggest you go for a T30. A T28 can work as a camper (but you'll be close to your GVW) and a T32 is problematic off you want to go down the 20" wheel route.
True, but the choice is way better now than it was a few years ago.

Hi all. Newbie here so sorry if this is all abit basic.

My question is... Which Engine would you recommend for a camper conversion? 110, 150 manual or 150 DSG?

My main concern is mpg. I am not going to be racing it around, so long as it keeps up well with traffic and can manage the extra weight of a camper.

I've heard rumors of gear box issues with the 5 speed.

Any advice would be great!
Thank you
Ross
140 or 150 manual, DSG is lovely, regular servicing is essential, until it goes wrong, both my vans are six speed manual, I know I can get a reliable fix should the box ever give problems.

Thanks Robin.

I ended up going for the 150 six speed manual. For exactly your reasoning.
I've never had a DSG so don't really know what I'm missing.
The 150 manual is the most economical according to VW.
And hopefully the cost for repairs will be lower.

Yeah a DSG would of been nice. But the budget wouldn't stretch/ the right van wasn't on the market

Love it! It's my first Van and hopefully will last me a long time. It's in for camper conversation early next year so hopefully next year we'll be putting a lot of miles on it around the uk

Back