Which van should I buy? Value vs Premium

sam_glasgow

VIP Member
Hi all,

Firstly thank you for the resource that is this forum. Been lurking for 6 months or so as my van dream has gradually turned into a reality and now a scary decision (and debate with the wife!).

We have narrowed it down to 2 options that we are both happy with and are looking for advice and opinions on which van is a 'better' pick. Naturally this is very subjective but the more opinions we have the better. Both are private sales we have found online and have been engaged in conversations and viewing with the owners who seem like nice people who have taken great care of their vehicles.

Option A - £35k
2018 T6 T28 Trendline TDI, 60k miles
110ps remapped to 160
Full VW service history
Converted by YourCamper
Poptop roof (unsure of brand) and roof rails
Isotherm fridge, panasonic microwave
Underslung water tank with lcd level indicator
Double front passenger seat
Chinese diesel heater
Rear parking sensors, aircon cruise control etc
Churchill summer tyres
Fiamma side awning

Option B - £44k
2019 T6 T30 Highline, 40k miles
150PS 6 speed
Full VW service history
Leighton Vans conversion with ABT bodykit and rims
Storm pop top
Dometic kitchen stuff
Underslung LPG tank with propex night heater
Twin captain seats with passenger swivel
Front and rear parking sensors, reversing camera
New Landsail all season tyres
Tracker

Both have RIB bed and storage cupboards etc that we are happy with.

Pros of option A are price, location (local), roof rack (I need this), side awning, less 'flashy'
Cons of option A are converter (YourCamper has very mixed reviews), cheap chinese heater (we would change this), age, milage, lower spec base vehicle, double seat up front (we would change this to a single), summer tyres

Pros of option B are age, milage, higher spec base vehicle, converter has better reputation, captains chairs up front, possibly easier to sell in future(?)
Cons of option B are price, location (4hrs drive), no awning, big rims, big water tank under bed, a bit more flashy than we were planning

Option B is objectively the better van but does it justify the extra cost when part of this is attributed to aspects that are not so important to us like the bodykit and rims? The money saved would make a healthy 'van fund' for future repairs etc!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and feedback - what would you do?

Hi Sam.

I won't attempt to address your choice directly - other forum members are more qualified to do that - but the mention of a remap on the 110PS engine caught my eye.

Do you know (or can you find out) what the torque figures are for that remap? The reason I ask is that it's not unknown for the 5-speed gearbox (which is what I presume that van has) to fail when a remap with a dramatic increase in torque has been applied. Of course, the remap applied may be 'sympathetic', keeping torque increases reasonable, but it's worth asking the question of the current owner and, if they don't know, asking yourself if you want to take that risk.

If the numbers add up it would be B all day long for me.

Newer, lower milage, better base van and quality upgrades. It's got all the big hitters (and more) anything you need to add should be on the lower end.

If you plan to keep and enjoy it, personally I'd always go for the absolute best I could at the time.

I'd be inclined option B.

However, the mileage is a touch high for the price and I'm not sure I'd want to drop that amount of money on a vehicle where there is evidence of penny pinching in its maintenance history (landsails - what else may have been done on the cheap?) so id probably pass.

I'd want to know more about the remap before even considering option A. The 5 speed box has a 340NM torque capacity and a supposed 50bhp increase is liable to have a significant torque increase as well, so I'd want to know who did the map, is it torque limited in the lower gears, etc.

Ultimately I'd probably not choose either. It took me about 10 weeks of searching, driving all over to look, etc, before finding one I was happy with and with so many out there those two seem a less than stellar choice, although it is completely your call.

Last edited:
No question option B- and remember that when it comes to sell in the future someone else will be looking at it in the same way you are. I would not consider a remapped van, and I guess you are going to spend (?) >£1000 on a decent heater, so starting to climb towards that higher price anyway.

Also, and this was 2019 so prices change, for not much more I got a base van with 13k miles and had it converted with loads of extras and bespoke designs so might be worth going that route

Out of the two it would be option B.
‘A’ just sounds like a cheap conversion on a lower spec base van with a remap. Factor in the cost of a new gearbox and it’s not such a bargain.
Once you get a van that looks great (LV) you’ll be glad you did. Most people (me included) start off saying I’m happy with how it looks. Then net thing you’ve spent big on new lower suspension and big wheels etc etc.
So, onto tyre choice. I get what people are saying about cost cutting, but sometimes a no brainer saving is worth making.
My van gets maintained in advance of any problems arising where possible, or as soon as something starts to manifest.
Uprated brakes all round pre Norway trip, additional oil changes, current plan to get inlet walnut blasted and dpf cleaned for no reason other than preventative maintenance.
Always been on Pirellis, but cost of major service plus oil switches plus upcoming planned maintenance plus MOT, plus service and MOT on car all in one month made me question tyre choice v price. Pirelli at £230 each and Lanvigator (who?) at £87 for the MOT.
I have to say that I’ve not noticed any difference in road noise or steering/handling or braking in wet or dry.
I don’t ever push the van so maybe the limit will be found earlier on these tyres, I’ll probably never find out.
How long they last remains to be seen.
It’s not always an indicator of a poorly maintained van though.

It’s not always an indicator of a poorly maintained van though.

It's an indicator of low expenditure being a priority in the maintenance of the vehicle. Nothing more, nothing less.

The problem is, once a buyer sees an indicator of penny pinching they start suspecting there may be attempts to save shekels elsewhere. If you're happy with Wang Tang Woosongs then all power to you.

However, if you ever come to sell you've instantly either alienated a segment of buyers (Id simply walk and find another, and have done so - its not like theres a shortage of vans out there so why even waste breath haggling?), or simply give others a lever to try and chip the price southwards, thus negating your saving.

But the fundamental quedtion is thus - Why spend 50 odd large, or far more with many of these vans, on a vehicle only to then penny pinching on keeping it on the road? If saving a few hundred quid is a priority they've bought the wrong vehidle to begin with.

VW could easily save themselves a few hundred quid on every van by fitting such tyres at the factory, but they don't. Why is that?

Hi Sam.

I won't attempt to address your choice directly - other forum members are more qualified to do that - but the mention of a remap on the 110PS engine caught my eye.

Do you know (or can you find out) what the torque figures are for that remap? The reason I ask is that it's not unknown for the 5-speed gearbox (which is what I presume that van has) to fail when a remap with a dramatic increase in torque has been applied. Of course, the remap applied may be 'sympathetic', keeping torque increases reasonable, but it's worth asking the question of the current owner and, if they don't know, asking yourself if you want to take that risk.
Great point, thanks.

I'd be inclined option B.

However, the mileage is a touch high for the price and I'm not sure I'd want to drop that amount of money on a vehicle where there is evidence of penny pinching in its maintenance history (landsails - what else may have been done on the cheap?) so id probably pass.

I'd want to know more about the remap before even considering option A. The 5 speed box has a 340NM torque capacity and a supposed 50bhp increase is liable to have a significant torque increase as well, so I'd want to know who did the map, is it torque limited in the lower gears, etc.

Ultimately I'd probably not choose either. It took me about 10 weeks of searching, driving all over to look, etc, before finding one I was happy with and with so many out there those two seem a less than stellar choice, although it is completely your call.
Thank you. Didn't realise how much of a minefield the remap could be.

I've been looking all summer (all the hours spend on fb, autotrader.co.uk, ebay) but only started viewings in October. Lots of Fred in a shed vans, some that look great, others not so, and tons of converters who only popped up in the last few years, largely unmentioned on the forums so fairly little to speak to their quality etc. I admit we are really keen to buy something now, but maybe need to take it slower. Thank you for your input.

Also, and this was 2019 so prices change, for not much more I got a base van with 13k miles and had it converted with loads of extras and bespoke designs so might be worth going that route
Thanks. To he honest this is quite over our initial budget but maybe we were naive about what we could get for 30k my wife leans towards option A purely because it's cheaper but she's also asked around and being encouraged towards option B

If option B is going to stretch you and leave you with nothing spare then bear in mind you need a pot behind you in case of unexpected expenses.
A four figure hit isn’t unusual.
If you are swayed towards van B then use that as a base spec and look at what else is available at a better price. There are loads of great vans that pop up for sale on this forum.

Thanks. To he honest this is quite over our initial budget but maybe we were naive about what we could get for 30k my wife leans towards option A purely because it's cheaper but she's also asked around and being encouraged towards option B
It’s a lot of money, fortunately I had enough to get it as new as possible at the time but left me with nothing in case anything happens or changes wanted.

Hope you find the best van and there’s loads more people on here with much more knowledge so keep asking as I always get helpful replies

Back