window wiper problemo

Tony Abbott

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi,

I have a front window wiper issue. As you can see from the pictures, both wipers are 2feet in length but when they are active, the dvrs side wiper goes off the window screen onto the vehicle body, any ideas?

IMG_2365 (1).jpg

IMG_2366.jpg

Blades are correct length.

Its pretty obvious the arm has been removed at some point and not fitted back in the correct position, Just remove and refit,

I agree, it's not the length of the blades that's the problem, it looks like the wiper arm has moved on the splined shaft, I guess the arm doesn't rest where it should when the wipers have been switched off.

Thank you for your replies guys, ill have a play once this crazy rain has died and report back.

I had this opposite issue after getting my suspension upgraded first time, when I took it the second time I mentioned it and they either over compensated or one spline was enough to start it making a knocking sound on the a pillar when on high setting (like yours). Never looked at it from outside the van though and it looks like yours is off the screen at the top as well as the side, adjusting on the splines won’t help that (if indeed it is an issue)

I had this opposite issue after getting my suspension upgraded first time, when I took it the second time I mentioned it and they either over compensated or one spline was enough to start it making a knocking sound on the a pillar when on high setting (like yours). Never looked at it from outside the van though and it looks like yours is off the screen at the top as well as the side, adjusting on the splines won’t help that (if indeed it is an issue)

The arms might be the wrong way round too.

I asked a similar question as when my wipers are at regular speed the arms seem quite noisy and the tips of the wipers hit the bottom of the edge of the screen, however the drivers side one also goes right to the upright pillar (so repositioning on the spline would have them ending up like @Tony Abbott. They seem a bit 'flingy' almost as if its the momentum of them that takes them to the extreme. I bought new wiper blades (although it looks like VW fitted new ones at the last service for previous owner). I dont really know what else to consider

I asked a similar question as when my wipers are at regular speed the arms seem quite noisy and the tips of the wipers hit the bottom of the edge of the screen, however the drivers side one also goes right to the upright pillar (so repositioning on the spline would have them ending up like @Tony Abbott. They seem a bit 'flingy' almost as if its the momentum of them that takes them to the extreme. I bought new wiper blades (although it looks like VW fitted new ones at the last service for previous owner). I dont really know what else to consider

Hi,

As @MK2Golf24v said, I removed, (press down on hinge to remove from the screw thread) and re positioned the wiper arm and blade so it looks like the pic @Dellmassive put on this thread 5 MSG up.

Blades are correct length.

Its pretty obvious the arm has been removed at some point and not fitted back in the correct position, Just remove and refit,

Cheer @Dellmassive, that helps a lot, mine are now perfectly wiping my wondow.

The tips of the blades are between 15mm & 20mm from the plastic trim when they are in the parked position on my T6.

It isn't normally difficult to lose them from the tapered shaft and re-seat them in the correct position.

I still have my issue. The main thing is they are noisy at the top end and bottom end of their stroke, like a springy metal sound. The change of direction is very sudden and flingy
I have put new blades on.
Is there a wrong way of fitting the wiper arms? Is there a left and right?

I still have my issue. The main thing is they are noisy at the top end and bottom end of their stroke, like a springy metal sound. The change of direction is very sudden and flingy
I have put new blades on.
Is there a wrong way of fitting the wiper arms? Is there a left and right?
I would suggest that you take the whole mechanism out and make sure that none of the joints / shafts are seizing. It sounds to me as though the mechanism is struggling to move / change direction.

Take the arm off by undoing the bolt(use some Zx54 0r WD40), remove the arm and you will see it sits on a round set of teeth, try re sitting it a bit further round the teeth. this is what I did and it worked okay.

Back