Worn control arm bushes

Dm85

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all,

So I’ve been getting a horrendous rough ride lately, vibrations through the floor and steering wheel. The van feels twitchy and unstable.

I got my camera under the van and found the rear arm bushes have splits in them.

I am assuming this is not normal?

IMG_2014.png

The bushes have cavities in top and bottom. I changed mine while doing other suspension upgrades as they are not all that convincing and had light shining through. But since there’s only thin rubber by the cavity I don’t think it makes really much difference if they’re split or not. I didn’t have problems with them, just upgraded as the are known to wear out sooner than later.

Reactions: mmi
The bushes have cavities in top and bottom. I changed mine while doing other suspension upgrades as they are not all that convincing and had light shining through. But since there’s only thin rubber by the cavity I don’t think it makes really much difference if they’re split or not. I didn’t have problems with them, just upgraded as the are known to wear out sooner than later.

That’s what I thought, it’s just the void. I’m hoping it is them that’s causing me issues tbh. Had 2 engine mounts done, new top mounts and bearings and it’s worse than ever! ‍

I fitted Meyle HD bottom arms - they come with solid bushes. I also fitted new bottom ball joints as easier to undo the two bolts attaching to the hub than split the taper! In my defence I was doing outside on the drive!

(2018 T30 SWB)

I fitted Meyle HD bottom arms - they come with solid bushes. I also fitted new bottom ball joints as easier to undo the two bolts attaching to the hub than split the taper! In my defence I was doing outside on the drive!a

(2018 T30 SWB)
I have bought the Meyle arms and ball joints. But chickened out doing it myself as I just don’t trust Jack stands or myself

did you get any symptoms of needing to do it? Maybe because I am 50mm lowered on 20” alloys it just makes it way more noticeable!

At the time I replaced them, the van was very low mileage but there seemed to be a lot of fore / aft movement under braking, initially one way then when you came to a stop it sprung back the other way, so I changed them.

I’m well into my fifties and got on fine changing them - axle stands under the tubular subframe - solid as a rock!

Back