907 gas refill cost

Yes as you need the liquid gas to transfer from one bottle to the other.
What your trying to do here is to move a liquid under pressure from one vessel to another.

A good way to think about that is to imagine trying to refill a small lunch time coke bottle from a nice new 2l coke bottle by connecting the two of them with a hose, as that's also a liquid under pressure (though much less)

If you orient the containers so none of the liquid reaches the valve (bottle neck) then the only transfer you're going to get is the gas...

OK, so Auntie Google says it's OK to mix Propane and Butane, erm, is it? I have a pretty full Butane and Propane 15kg cylinder down the garden...
Not for these 907 bottles that only say Butane on them...

Ie mine say Butane only.

But apparently some older cans say you can add Propane at much lower volumes as propane is a higher pressure.

Basically the BLUE regulator on top of the 907 you have is for BUTANE. (Butane is a safer gas to have in the van as it's lower pressure when at higher temps - like mid summer in a hot, sun baked van)

But technically you can have butane/propane mixes ... Like the colman c500 cans that have a 70/30 mix.. but use a regulator setup for that.

Or they also do full propane which uses the RED regulator...

But I think to keep things simple and as safe as possible let's just say that the 907 is Butane only.

And if you want to use propane you need to swap bottles to the small caravan red/yellow/green bottle and swap to the appropriate regulator.

Last edited:
These guys show the various bottles and sizes available... And what gas they contain.

And Attwoolls Mike runs through the options also...

Nice one BES - Next day delivery.

1715274784589.png

bish bash bosh . . .

1715274810065.png

with this fo rthe big blue end . . .

1715274830324.png1715274842658.png

and this for the little blue end...

1715274874988.png

so first task will be to refill my original 907 . .

++++
my original bottle thats assumed running out - 4.1Kg - 15%

so i was right to look at getting a replacement . . . this wont last the next 4dayer.

++++

1715275014131.png

+++

going by this chart . . . a full bottle is 6.4kg

1715275094345.png

+++

my current bottle OLD is 4.1kg(15%)

so i need to add (6.1kg - 4.1kg) = 2.0Kg of liquid gas. which should take me back up to 90% full.

+++

just need to work out how/where ill be hanging the bottle up yet.

+++

If you're going to refill I'd look less at the chart and look at the tare weight stamped on the cylinder - that's the exact weight of the empty cylinder and they will vary.

I'd also not aim to go over 2kg total gas to start with. If you can refill any time you want you only actually need the cylinder to be as full as one trip so no need to push the envelope.

Out of interest, how little gas could be left in the 907 before there was insufficient pressure to use for cooking.
My cylinder weighs 4.0kg, and the empty weight is 3.5kg, so currently 0.5kg of gas remaining.
Obviously at today’s prices I don’t want to change too soon.

The pressure depends on how fast the gas evaporates from the liquid; the evaporation chills the liquid the issue as you get close to empty is that the less liquid there is the more impact it has. If you can keep the cylinder warm you'll be able to use more off it. I use the aerosol style butane cartridges and on cold days the last 20% or so is often unusable.

Out of interest, how little gas could be left in the 907 before there was insufficient pressure to use for cooking.
My cylinder weighs 4.0kg, and the empty weight is 3.5kg, so currently 0.5kg of gas remaining.
Obviously at today’s prices I don’t want to change too soon.
Once the liquid has gone that's it... So 3.5kg.

If you shake the bottle you can feel the slosh about.

Mine run out of pressure when it was down to just a few spoon fulls of liquid.

So the slightest amount of liquid inside.....then that was it.. done. (For reference that was when using a cadac 2 cook pro)

I think when the pressure is too low the blue regulator has a spring that closes off the gas supply.

ok here we go. . .

1715428360550.png

can is at 4.1kg and around 15% . . .

1715428401247.png

donna bottle upside down, and above receiver bottle. - gravity assistance.

1715428532547.png

both valves open. . . . . . . . .

1715428564194.png

and. . . . . .

and. . . . . . .

well, wait, . . . it was very slow.

took around 3mins or longer. - i was surprised.

i kept checking . . .

1715428639431.png

i think my main 14kg is running low. . . it feels like there is maybe 10% liquid sloshing about?

maybe thats why its very slow?

either way, i stopped at 5.4kg.

1715428729951.png

which, when the hose assembly was removed gave as a final weight of 5.0kg.

im happy with that. . .

1715428773458.png

that should be around 50% . .

1715428893315.png

so in theory i should be able to add another 1kg. . .

but it just wasn't flowing. . .? - the bottles were connected, but the weight just wasn't going up anymore.

assuming that both bottles now had equal pressure,

we need to rely on pure gravity to get more liquid in the bottom bottle,?

as gas vapour/bubbles travel up to the top bottle.?

either way . . . i got board waiting.

so ended the test.

++++

the final out come and slosh test.. . . . . ?

yep the 907 now defo has at least half the volume now full of liquid gas,

verses the small amount before.

so id say that was a success. . .

now i just need to work out how empty my 14kg bottle is and look at getting a replacement refill.

:mexican wave:

++++++

and a note to anyone doing this. . .

remember to purge the link line after, as its full of liquid gas when removed from both bottles, . . . i just opened the 907 valve end and let the pipe vent off, as the liquid boils off to gas instantly.

+++++++

15kg calor Butane

1715429748590.png

Last edited:
i just need to work out how empty my 14kg bottle is and look at getting a replacement refill.
It will have a tare weight on it too so so long as you have a set of scales in the range you should be able to work out?

Bathroom scales?

Luggage scales?

Remember my analogy of two coke bottles with a pipe, you do need to think about where the "air" is going when you fill, you might find manipulating the larger tank to try and allow the gas phase to equalise helps and then try to get more liquid phase in.

the 15kg bottle has this ALU ring on top.

which says 31 / 14

and the bottle is almost empty,

and its weighing 16kg atm.

++++++

wondering is thats 31kg full,

and 14kg empty?

as mine is 16kg now and feels almost empty?

++++++

1715431107110.png

++++++

edit:

looks like a wide full/empty range. (suppose depending on bottle design)

Specifications
More Information
Product Code110150
Cylinder TypeMedium
Cylinder usagePortable Heaters
Cylinder ColourBlue
Capacity15kg
Height580mm
Diameter318mm
Tare weight (empty)12.7-21.9kg
Gross weight (full)25-35kg
Rec. offtake (approx)9.9Kw

1715431307405.png

ok, just to add to this. . .

i have another manky 907. . . that weighs 3.8kg,

so empty.

1715432832724.png

done another re-fill job,

1715432850056.png

final result. the 907 now weighs 5.3kg,

1715432871929.png

so a 1.5kg gain, and i feel 1/3rd liquid gas in the can..

now the 15kg bottle weighs, 14.8kg.

1715432958553.png1715432970152.png

there is a tiny amount of liquid left. . .

so i think what's happening is that, this union / valve is screwed in to the tank.

and a small portion of it is protruding inside the tank,

causing a lip inside, that's stopping every last drop, from draining out.

1715433081818.png

so if i added 1.5kg to this bottle,

i can only assume its down to the pressure difference, as in the empty one had much lower static pressure, which helped the larger bottle push the liquid in. .

where as the other 907 had equalised pressure, so only gravity to push the liquid gas down into the 907. . .

+++

im also assuming that the proper filling stations etc are using much higher pressure to charge the bottles, to force the liquid in.

+++

anyway - now going to get that 15kg bottle swapped out for new shiney one.

Back