Best way to find camper spots in Europe ?

matt_ew

Might be a noooby question but I’m planning my first small trip now I’ve finally (nearly) finished my conversion! What’s the best way to find camping spots (or just anywhere I can park up over night)? Im finding loooads of places that look cool so any experience people have of nice places would be great insight! Specifically looking in Bruges, somewhere between Antwerp and Amsterdam, and then somewhere around Amsterdam? Is there a britstops for these places?

I use Search4 Sites and Park4 Nite…. Good info with some pics and reviews too. Good luck!

I spent 3 months in Spain over the last winter (did it finish yet?)
First you can stop, park and sleep without the BBQ, chairs etc just about anywhere, just be discreet.
There are paid app’s like SearchforSites, Park4Night and a few quite naff others that will take your subscription fee.
There are others like Vicarious Books that do the Aires books, again you pay.
ACSI does much the same as Vicarious Books but just campsites.
Off season in southern Europe is easy, just park up and don’t be a pain in the ass.
All businesses want $£ so why not approach a pub / restaurant and ask if you can stay the night in return for some trade.

I use the free version of Park4nite and get some good ideas from that & then double check on Googlemaps.
Good info you get from P4N is things like if there is a WC or free wifi or height restrictions or noise from trains / planes.
Found a car park in Italy that had a 24h WC & free wifi via info from free version of P4N.
Campsite down the road was charging €30 a night for v similar.

P4N, Search for Sites, ACSI card& app (well worth it if you mainly camp out of season in Europe.) job done. As others have said, France/Spain/Portugal/Italy are all easy, just park up & don’t be a tw4t. Usually there will be clear signage if they don’t want you. Germany & Austria are stricter on where you can stay, stick to the recognised areas. Just because the locals are parked there, doesn’t mean it’s permitted. You don’t want to start arguing the toss with a cop with a gun, in his language, on his turf at 2am.
In 20 odd years, we’ve never had a problem.

Last winter in Spain I started to notice a form of extreme motorhome snobbery which made parking offsite more difficult than it should be for others in modest sized vans.
The 7m + luxury MHs with trailer / car were parking up in free beach car parks often blocking access, getting the BBQ, portable solar panels and chairs out, arguing with the Police.
Some don’t even try to be considerate to the local population.

We use search for sites. I’ve used it for Ypres but that’s about it in Belgium/Netherlands. Currently on week 7 of Spain/Portugal and it’s all I’ve used for free aires, paid aires and also campsites.
It’s well worth the £5 for the app. Although you get a free 1 month trial, so if you download just before your trip you can use the free month.

Most of the app’s have the option to provide feedback. Aside from the mundane stuff about bog roll in toilets it’s good to feedback important stuff like if the water supply is still available.
If you’ve been in Andalusia lately you’ll know that the public water supplies are rapidly being withdrawn due to the ongoing serious drought. Don’t panic you can still use the car wash and fill your swimming pool, you just can’t find 50L to fill your van tank!
It takes 30 seconds to feedback that the waters off and save somebody a 60Km wasted trip.

I use the free version of Park4nite and get some good ideas from that & then double check on Googlemaps.
Good info you get from P4N is things like if there is a WC or free wifi or height restrictions or noise from trains / planes.
Found a car park in Italy that had a 24h WC & free wifi via info from free version of P4N.
Campsite down the road was charging €30 a night for v similar.
I thought wild camping is not allowed in Italy and you get big fines if caught?

Never had any trouble myself & saw lots of others doing similar. Based on what peeps say on P4N seems not to be a problem to wild camp…maybe some areas are stricter?

Most of the app’s have the option to provide feedback. Aside from the mundane stuff about bog roll in toilets it’s good to feedback important stuff like if the water supply is still available.
If you’ve been in Andalusia lately you’ll know that the public water supplies are rapidly being withdrawn due to the ongoing serious drought. Don’t panic you can still use the car wash and fill your swimming pool, you just can’t find 50L to fill your van tank!
It takes 30 seconds to feedback that the waters off and save somebody a 60Km wasted trip.
Agreed about the water on areas de autocaravanas, although we only read of a few where it had been turned off and haven’t encountered any ourselves.
But you can no longer fill your swimming pool. The order came in while we were at our friend’s villa. Only pools on a complex that has a tourist licence can top their pools up as of about 3 weeks ago. So people who rent out their apartment etc on a private complex are going to have some unhappy customers. Hotels etc will be ok.

Reactions: DXX
Another vote for Park4Night

Have to take it with a pinch of salt sometimes as random streets can sometimes be labeled as 'legit camping spots'. But it's great for a quick stop and getting you out of trouble

Definitely a challenge in Northern Italy, especially in South Tyrol.
I’ve found a few places that are possible in the late Autumn during the period between the summer and winter sports season.

My wild camp spot in Pinzolo when I went skiing for 5 days…notice the gondola on the left. I could pick up the free wifi from the gondola station parked here :)
Saw the Police a few times & never had anyone raise even an eyebrow.0596F84C-2A97-4635-A1D9-8E0CA9BCDC80.jpeg

Last edited:
Might be a noooby question but I’m planning my first small trip now I’ve finally (nearly) finished my conversion! What’s the best way to find camping spots (or just anywhere I can park up over night)? Im finding loooads of places that look cool so any experience people have of nice places would be great insight! Specifically looking in Bruges, somewhere between Antwerp and Amsterdam, and then somewhere around Amsterdam? Is there a britstops for these places?
I stayed here a few years ago Home - camping-memling.be There is a bus stop just outside the campsite that takes you into the centre of Bruges.

Back