BT-2 bluetooth communication

slocumjoseph

The Ancient Mariner
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Has anyone had a problem pairing a Renogy BT-2 bluetooth device to an Android phone. I’ve just installed and connected their 50a DC-DC charger and MPPT controller. It powers up ok and I’ve downloaded the app but it cuts off and closes down a couple of seconds after opening. The app stays open if I’m out of range and has the name of the device on the first page.

As I write this back indoors with the body and brain warming up I’m thinking this little monitor has sixteen feet of wire but I’ve fixed it close to the main device so most of the wire is bundled up behind the van panels. Could this be causing problems for communication?

i have my cable bundled up so that's not an issue,

the range is fairly good, , , but stick with inside the van to start.

the app should open and stay open, even not connecting to anything.

there are 2 APPs.

DC Home is the new one . . .

you need to create an account via the APP. - then you will get the home screen.

as for the BT2, you dont connect to it via the phone like normal,

you open the APP first, then the APP will connect to the BT2.

1642145493849.png

the Blue LED will stay lit when the APP is connected.

when you add your devices make sure its not via the HUB mode,

just plain add (+) mode.

++++

press the ADD button and the APP will search for the device.

1642145743495.png

then click the device its found to open the link. .

1642145774610.png

I've found that if i get connection problems. . .

i just switch off the phones BT and back on . . . . or restart the phone.

also you need to make sure that you have given the APP all the permissions it needs when installing. . . like location, photo access etc etc etc.

if you block any permissions it will stop the APP working.

++++++++

here is a vid clip of me deleting a battery and re-adding it, then connecting to it.

FYI . . . these are the permissions my Renogy DC Home APP has on my phone/tablet.

++++++

1642146428629.png1642146437157.png

+++++++

these are the APPS.

New APP - DC Home

1642146367272.png

old APP.

Renogy BT . . .

1642146408227.png

Thanks for all that Lee. Im still working on getting the fuse box sorted but the first thing I had to do this morning was move the vehicle off the road as the tipper lorries were getting too close to my legs. I think I’ve found the place where the fuse I dropped came from which by coincidence appears to be the tail lights again. I’m waiting on a piggy back lead which should arrive today to use for the ignition connection. Everything you suggested has been tried as I also believe it’s one of those things. The blue page with the wavy line comes up and actually shows the name of the charger/controller but almost immediately disconnects and leaves a notice saying the app has stopped with the option to send a report, retry or cancel. I’m stubborn though. It must be something simple or obvious I’ve missed so I’ll keep trying, maybe that other app and all the permissions again. It’s frustrating that things have gone a bit pear shaped when the job was coming to the end but my priority has now become to give the van a good run to get the starter charged properly and check the actual system is ok. My son is viewing a house in Reading tomorrow so I’m trying to clear it enough for him to use. I might sit in the back with the fire extinguisher ready! Watch this space

ok, try uninstalling and re-installing. etc etc

try another device.?

ie a tablet or something.

I've got the APP installed on about 5 different devices.

provided the APP has the correct permissions it works on all devices (android)

I appreciate all your attention Lee. I’ve just come inside as I’m having bit of a meltdown. I’m now working on the big earth point on the wheel arch, which should be simple. I cut off the converters original one as it would get too crowded with the new fittings. I’m using a bus bar to rationalise it with just one cable down from it and the other to the battery. I bought two new 70-10 lugs matching the original but now realise they had drilled the bolt hole to 12mm and the large set of crimpers I bought that give a nice hex shaped squash. Unfortunately my mistakes are getting more and more expensive as those crimpers only go up to 50mm. I’ll be collecting some more lugs today, with bigger holes for another go but can’t keep buying tools for a one off job. However it's important I don't bodge this connection. All I can think of is to hit it with a hammer and cold chisel but that could turn into another mess. Meanwhile the BT-2 connection is on hold until I get this circuit finished.

FYI and particularly @Dellmassive who worked hard to try and help me get into Renogys DC Home app for a bluetooth connection to their the BT-2 module. I thought my son with his IT knowledge might be able to help so sent him this....
"Went through three more reinstalls and once managed to log on and follow the permissions prompts. Just when I thought I’d cracked it the app switched off again. After reading all the negative feedback I’ve decided I’m wasting my time. As a consolation prize I’ve managed to get a bluetooth link with their Renogy BT app but it’s not so comprehensive as the BT-2 Home app.
First screen shots are the error message and some of the analysis.
Second screen shot shows typical of the bad feedback
Third screenshot shows what the new app looks like…a list of data, no spreadsheet type of view and no live graphs like that little BM2 battery monitor I was using yesterday.
I’ll buy another one of those little BM2s for the starter battery and have to make do with what I’ve got for the controller." So it seems like they've released a nice little monitor with a nice little associated app without enough R and D. I've used beta versions of apps that are far less buggy.

Screenshot_2022-01-16-16-29-26-080_com.android.vending.jpg

Screenshot_2022-01-16-16-30-56-603_com.miui.bugreport.jpg

Screenshot_2022-01-16-16-41-39-152_com.android.vending.jpg

Screenshot_2022-01-16-17-05-11-758_com.bt.renogy.jpg

If the app version is buggy they will role it back or bring out a new version.

So leave the BT-2 installed.

Did you try powering down the DC-DC to reboot everything?

Either way I'll try to connect to yours next time I see you.

Yes that's it Lee but it wont get past the blue wavy page. My son and his girlfriend both have iphones and connected no problem..making me feeI very old but apparently androids shouldn't be a problem. Meanwhile fingers crossed they get it sorted soon. The main system is in place now with just the panels and cupboards to sort and the Reading test yesterday went well. Perhaps I can arrange a meet soon for a quick once over.

Back