Cancelled my 2 weeks in Tenerife

The Flying Scotsman

VIP Member
T6 Guru
After over 3 decades of visiting Spain every year and spending hundreds of thousands of pounds there in that time I’m now no longer welcome apparently.
So I’ve just cancelled my 2 weeks in July in the roof top apartment we hire every year.
Instead we are off around Scotland in our camper again.
Everyone agreed they enjoyed that more last year than Tenerife anyway.
So I will put my money back into Scotland instead and have a load more money to spend on the van haha.
The term biting the hand that feeds you springs to mind.

nice,

but,

what makes you say " I’m now no longer welcome "

i know there has been stuff in the news recently, but i also know the News people are "click-bait" merchants.

so is it real news or just click bait spin?

a buddy of mine is off to Tenerife next week for 14days, he also goes every year. ( sometimes twice) and has no problem heading out there.

We go to Fuerteventura every November, same apartment, similar week. I haven’t seen or heard anything that tells me I’m not welcome, care to elaborate?

I take it you guys totally missed the huge anti tourist protests in Tenerife and main land Spain lately?
And the new taxes being put in place where a family of four will have to prove they have at least £2750 spending money for their weeks holiday. Or all the other new rules being implemented.

Just some my wife sent me. Granted they’re all from a crap paper but gives you an idea

After over 3 decades of visiting Spain every year and spending hundreds of thousands of pounds there in that time I’m now no longer welcome apparently.
So I’ve just cancelled my 2 weeks in July in the roof top apartment we hire every year.
So I will put my money back into Scotland instead and have a load more money to spend on the van haha.
Yeah, we chose to given Tenerife a miss for exactly the same reasons and "biting the hand that feeds you" is exactly the phrase that sprung to mind. Perhaps if they have no tourists, there'll be more homes for the workers... except there'll be a whole lot less income for the workers to be able to afford said homes. :rolleyes:

My wife and her sister came back Thursday after a week in Gran Canaria, via Tui from Bristol.
Weren’t asked re their availability of funds.
Andy

Spains loss is the UK'S gain then I suppose.

We're UK only this year, no fly aways booked. Just Uk camping & festival's.

I've read the same stories in other newspapers, I bet there are plenty of Spanish business owners who rely on tourism who won't be happy if British tourists stay away.
As usual it's the uncivilised minority of tourists who don't know how to behave wherever they are who spoil things for everybody.

Will they be stopping people at the road border crossings to check funds availability as well? That may cause some issues.

Not wanting tourists happens everywhere locals moan about them tourist trade want them Cornwall, North Wales, Scotland NC500 not just Tenerife

I've read the same stories in other newspapers, I bet there are plenty of Spanish business owners who rely on tourism who won't be happy if British tourists stay away.
As usual it's the uncivilised minority of tourists who don't know how to behave wherever they are who spoil things for everybody.
The Canarians/Spaniards need to be very careful how they frame their grievances - sending out the message of "none are welcome" would be disastrous for their economies.

The sole reason the vast majority of the local population is there in the first place is to work in the hotels, bars restaurants etc. that are there purely for the tourists.
The canary’s have absolutely bugger all else in the way of income bar the sun that brings the tourists.
The whole island of Tenerife was built solely for making money from tourism.
I always liked the Spanish because at least they smiled at you when taking your money and appreciated it.
Plenty other sunny countries just as close that will actually welcome you with open arms and be delighted your spending your hard earned that you’ve saved all year for there with them.

From what I have understood it is the expansion of tourism especially in Tenerife by big businesses that is the main gripe not the banning of tourists.
It’s the fact that most rentable properties that used to house locals have been turned into Airb&bs and tourists properties.
But do you think telling the tourists to go home and rebelling against tourism is the way to deal with that problem?

Reactions: Bav
I just decided against a trip to Fuerteventura for this very reason, heard the locals are not being particularly friendly even in the hotels and decided it just wasn't worth the hassle. :(

From what I have understood it is the expansion of tourism especially in Tenerife by big businesses that is the main gripe not the banning of tourists.
That's a local governance issue though, not a tourism issue.

To be fair, I think this started out as a protest against the government, but the government saw a cash-generating opportunity and decided a tourist tax would solve their abject lack of local building control and planning consent - add to the mix a few local hot-heads with a grievance, et voila! - the focus turns to the tourist.

The Great British idiot has been ruining travel for the Great British traveller for decades, it would seem that most of the latest gripes would mirror those of the 80s and 90s I.e. drunken louts, too noisy etc etc. Tenerife (other islands are available) has the same extremes, some areas are too loud, with drunks everywhere, others areas are among some of the most beautifully serene places on earth.
I guess what I'm saying is its horses for courses.
As an aside, the media has a penchant for "whooping it up" due to the fact that 'they hate us' is a more interesting story than ' someone in Tenerife wrote something on a wall about us once'

That's a local governance issue though, not a tourism issue.

To be fair, I think this started out as a protest against the government, but the government saw a cash-generating opportunity and decided a tourist tax would solve their abject lack of local building control and planning consent - add to the mix a few local hot-heads with a grievance, et voila! - the focus turns to the tourist.
As previously mentioned we've been going to the same apartment in Fuerte for yonks. It's a private apartment owned by a chap who rents it out to friends & family. We've got to know the ins & outs of Canaries life over the years. The government is utterly corrupt, it's literally a banana republic. One government oversees the whole of the Canaries with local councils on each Island & they run it as a personal fiefdom. There's no wonder the locals are pissed off, they never get to see any of the profits of the tourism. Half of them are living in poverty whilst rich tourists whoop it up in 5 star all inclusive resorts & hardly spend a penny outside.
For the record, the apartment we rent is self catering & we buy local food & eat & drink at local bars & restaurants.

Back