[Guide] Fitting door mirror repair mounting

Just fixed my drivers mirror thanks to this forum and youtube.

Another van hit it while I was out the van for a couple of minutes last week. Checked the dash cam and watched him hit the mirror then park up further down the street and run into his house! He agreed to pay without going through insurance so hit him for £380 for a full replacement. Would have been nearer £600 through insurance who would have just replaced the whole unit so he got a good deal!

Got the bush for £7 and fitted it this afternoon. Good as new.

A quick tip for anyone attempting this. The large multiplug wont pull through the bush. The wires for this run to the heated mirror (which you unplug anyway) and a white plug inside the mirror. Unplug the the white plug and pull both wires the other way through the bush.

I'm now getting a flush sliding window, bonding kit, J trim and a vanshades pod for my NS slider and only have to add another £30 for the lot. Happy as larry. :)

Hi guys,
I've Just replaced my T6 drivers mirror, with a new mirror body from VW (£155 inc) and swapped all the additional bits over from the broken one
I did however ,as a back- up buy the replacement Aluminium knuckle joint from Travelling Lite . So now I have a spare complete mirror for future use.Living in the South Hams is proper nice but not very mirror friendly!

I've posted a few snaps to show my home made spring compressor to replace the broken shaft. It comprises of a bath tap spanner and a Sash cramp.

Does anyone else have an easier method??

View attachment 75107

View attachment 75108

View attachment 75109

View attachment 75110
Yes. Use zip ties to compress the spring

Just to add a quick tip on this job which I've found super handy.
If you cut the electric mirror control cable to get the mirror off, use bullet connectors to re-join it.
Might seem obvious but I've not seen a youtube video yet that shows this

Reason is, if you do a permanent joint in the cable its a nightmare to cut and rejoin.
Bullet connectors mean you can take it apart super easy next time...........and there is always a next time

Hi
About to attempt this on passenger side mirror few questions

1. The bush I bought came with instructions to cut the heated wing mirror wire and no need to remove the door card etc mentioned - this seems much easier any drawbacks ?
2. It seems that it is unavoidable dismantling the wing mirror itself although mine has only broken the bush - wing mirror housing and glass are intact - I am nervous having read here how easy it is to break the clips dismantling this so if their is a way to avoid this even if it involves removing the door card I would consider it

appreciate any links to vids or tips anyone has seems all a bit fiddly and easy to break bits

Hi
About to attempt this on passenger side mirror few questions

1. The bush I bought came with instructions to cut the heated wing mirror wire and no need to remove the door card etc mentioned - this seems much easier any drawbacks ?
2. It seems that it is unavoidable dismantling the wing mirror itself although mine has only broken the bush - wing mirror housing and glass are intact - I am nervous having read here how easy it is to break the clips dismantling this so if their is a way to avoid this even if it involves removing the door card I would consider it

appreciate any links to vids or tips anyone has seems all a bit fiddly and easy to break bits
1) yes cut the cable but make sure you have bullet connectors and a crimping tool to re-attach the cable because if you ever have to do it again you can just disconnect the connectors and not have to cut the cable again.
Taking the door card off is an absolutely mental amount of work for this job

2) you will always break the odd clip because they are absolutely shite.
Done this job 2000 times....always broken the odd clip. One or two won't make much difference

3) chill. Dont be nervous. We've all been there with this kind of thing. If your not sure you can pay VW £60 an hour to do a 30 minute driveway job

Fantastic thanks

Hopefully this will help a newbie doing this job like me please correct me if I've got anything wrong

From what I understand I need to

1. Remove Wing mirror glass which I guess have to do on the. vehicle
2. Remove wing mirror cover using some trim tools (I will need to buy these)
3. Cut heated wing mirror wire and undo clipper the other wire thread through broken bush
4. remove remaining wing mirror coupling from van undoing torx screws

can continue indoors

5 remove bush and spring combo from wing mirror assembly
6 use cable ties and muscle to keep spring compressed
7 reassemble on new bush

go back to van

8 thread wires back and clip and then use bullet connectors to re connect wing mirror heater wire
9 put wing mirror cap on trying not to break clips
10 reattach to van

any recommendations on bullet connector kits taken

Last edited:
Fantastic thanks

Hopefully this will help a newbie doing this job like me please correct me if I've got anything wrong

From what I understand I need to

1. Remove Wing mirror glass which I guess have to do on the. vehicle
2. Remove wing mirror cover using some trim tools (I will need to buy these)
3. Cut heated wing mirror wire and undo clipper the other wire thread through broken bush
4. remove remaining wing mirror coupling from van undoing torx screws

can continue indoors

5 remove bush and spring combo from wing mirror assembly
6 use cable ties and muscle to keep spring compressed
7 reassemble on new bush

go back to van

8 thread wires back and clip and then use bullet connectors to re connect wing mirror heater wire
9 put wing mirror cap on trying not to break clips
10 reattach to van

any recommendations on bullet connector kits taken
Have all the bits you need before you start including all torx screw bits (pref hand held as power drill bits shear the heads off screws)

I use the blue 12v bullet connectors, a proper wire stripper and a crimping tool.
Dont try to bodge it.

Cable ties to compress the spring are fine, but thicker ties will prevent you sliding the spring over the mounting, there really isn't much between the spring and the mounting...a millimeter or two.. And remember that compressing the spring in the first place will require a clamp, you dont do it with the cable ties alone and you won't be able to do it by hand.

Its a straight forward job that requires care, alot of patience and a few hours on your first try.

My advice would be to watch the below video and learn from his mistakes.

Thanks again --- Just checking - passenger side Kombi Highline it should just be the one plug and heated mirror wire shouldn't it

Thanks again --- Just checking - passenger side Kombi Highline it should just be the one plug and heated mirror wire shouldn't it
Yes.
Same year as my T6 highline.

So the two single heater connectors wires attached to the mirror glass at the back when you pop the glass out (think mine were black and white) will come off with a little wiggling....but be careful not to snap the little metal prongs off.

Also,

Do you have electric mirrors? If so you'll find the little plug for the heater a b*****d to get to at first and you will almost definately snap the little tabs off when you push them in to slide the connector out.

But don't worry....it will slide back in and stay put after.

ALSO....TAKE PHOTOS OF EVERYTHING AS IT COMES APART!!!
this way, if you forget where things go....you'll be able to find your way back.

Our drivers side mirror was 'removed' by a large motorhome travelling towards us on the wrong side of the road .
It was smashed clean off and then bounced off the side of the van and run over by the 3 cars behind .
Swapped them out for powerfold which has probably saved them countless times since .

Thanks - not quite got the energy for an upgrade will attempt. And take pictures if they are any good will post them here to this guide

I think people are putting the cable ties on before dismantling the spring completely ? Thus reducing the need to compress the spring with a spanner/clamp arrangement

Thanks - not quite got the energy for an upgrade will attempt. And take pictures if they are any good will post them here to this guide

I think people are putting the cable ties on before dismantling the spring completely ? Thus reducing the need to compress the spring with a spanner/clamp arrangement
Again...if the ties are too thick they won't slide between the mounting and the spring. There are millimeters if that between. I dont know how you would get them in before removing the C clip anyway

Hi

Have started this and come across a hiccup - I think this is the DAB aerial can I cut and bullet this or is it not that easy - halfway so any advice appreciated

IMG_5622.jpeg

There’s no need to cut any cables, just take a photo, make a sketch and de-pin the connector that won’t fit through. It takes less time than cutting and joining cables.

their is nothing to de-pin on that black plastic molded unit - I was trying to avoid removing the door card to be honest

So I managed this which should give hope to others

1 popped off the glass by levering gently with my fingers
2 used flat head screw driver to remove the connectors for the wires to heated wing mirror and undid the white plug
3 used trim tools to prise apart the mirror top casing from bottom - found this trickiest bit
4. In my vehicle had an aerial wire which could not pass through the new part so I did remove the door card and simple job to unclip this connector I threaded through on some string as it had a couple of other connections that made me think it might be irritating to thread back through so that just made pulling it back through at the end easier

5.undid the torx screws on the inside of the door to allow this to come away and threaded. the mirtor side wires back
6 took the long screws out and removed the assembly from the wing mirror then mole grips to squash the spring and take the u clip off
7 used mole grips again to compress the spring and put 3 thin cable ties on to hold it compressed
8. Reversed the steps and Reassembled it

Impossible without the guides on here and wish I had looked at the wing mirror disassembly guide better to save that clip although it’s gone back together ok

IMG_5614.jpeg

IMG_5613.jpeg

IMG_5615.jpeg

IMG_5616.jpeg

IMG_5617.jpeg

IMG_5621.jpeg

IMG_5620.jpeg

IMG_5618.jpeg

IMG_5622.jpeg

IMG_5623.jpeg

IMG_5624.jpeg

IMG_5627.jpeg

IMG_5626.jpeg

IMG_5628.jpeg

The best thing VW ever did was make the mounting lugs out of cheap alloy.... one bang and they snap off....but it absorbs the energy of the impact and sacrifices itself to protect the casing.
If that bracket were made of stainless it would rip your panel to pieces instead of just snapping

Back