Help with coding or wiring please

T6 Syd

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi, I have an aftermarket bumper/grille with additional 'DRL' type LEDs. They come on with ignition and stay on for a while after the ignition key is removed. I have coded my light unit DRLs to be off when the handbrake is on, but the extra ones are clearly not wired into the DRL power supply. Does anyone know where/how they are wired and whether or not there is some way of coding them to be off, or to go off straight away when ignition is off. I'm hoping to avoid having to take the bumper off to trace the wiring and potentially install a switch!

Thanks.IMG_5011.jpg

Are you a T6 or T6.1?

What type of headlight switch do you have and what position is it in?

Just for clarity do you have OE DRLs as well as the bumper ones?

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I have a 2017 T6, upgraded to H7 headlights with integral DRLs.

Headlight switch has auto setting. The extra leds have the same behaviour whether the main headlight switch is off, manual, sides or auto.

I have coded the ‘OE’ DRLs to be off when handbrake on.

OK so your OE DRLs are behaving as you expect.

It feels like they are just tapped into an ignition circuit but it's the delay after ignition off that's intriguing - how long is it? Is it a short while that could be an LED driver circuit having some stored charge or is it a significant number of seconds?

The only obvious things that would stay on after ignition are interior lighting. It wouldn't be sensible to tap into the courtesy light as that goes of on ignition start - but possibly it could be off the ambient footwell lights if you have those?

Hang on, the BCM controlled +12v feed to the courtesy lights is live from unlock to a short while after locking - is that the behaviour you are seeing?

I haven’t timed it but the leds stay on for 10s of seconds, feels an age if triggered on the campsite.

They go off some time after ignition off regardless of taking the key out or locking. Don’t think they are linked to courtesy light operation.

If it was the courtesy lights feed I'd expect them to stay on either until shortly after locking or around 20 minutes.

I guess it's also possible they may have a driving circuit that has a permanent feed and an ignition feed to trigger them that might have a delay.

Is there any clue as to the advised wiring in the instructions for the bumper (if you have them or can identify the supplier?)

They will be tapped into an ignition feed in the fuse box beside the battery.
All the ignition lives in that fuse box stay live for 20-30 secs after you remove your key.
Mines does the same

Thanks, they were on the van when I got it so I don't have any manufacturer's info.

I'll time how long the legs stay on for after switching off the ignition and look in the fusebox/wiring to see if I can isolate the circuit to a particular fuse.

Back