How.... how do you afford a van?

And what happens when gas prices go up? more people start burning wood.
To keep warm. Yet if houses were properly insulated they would not need huge amounts of heat input at all saving the occupier money on fuel (and healthcare costs) while reducing pollution.

As for ‘That's when you realise this is more about some people being anti-car.’ I think that’s a bit of a generalisation and over exaggeration.
Many of us love our cars, vans, motorcycles and the freedom they provide. Doesn’t mean we all love the idea of an early death with either cancer or heart disease or stroke though. See it as some people being anti-disease, not anti-car.

19% from industrial processes - imagine what it would be if we didn’t offset our pollution by getting others to do most of the dirty processes for us now
Headline figure is still 52% coming from transport. I expect politicians would want to prioritise somehow and with 25% of car journies being under 1 mile, and 72% under five miles, how people use cars needs consideration before you start closing industry that brings in money/jobs.

I'm new. I have ogled and desperately wanted T4's, T5's and T6's for over a decade. A super fan to say the least. I have a well paid job and a good credit score. I simply cannot figure out how to finance actually obtaining my first van though.

Am 44yrs old and i can feel the time ebbing away each day on this mill wheel of an existance. I need to bus up and get my weekend day trip/stop over thing happening with the wife.

I have all the skills and tools to convert a base vehicle barring electrics and have literally watched ALL of youtube...

All i can think to do is get a 100k miles autotrader base vehicle maybe a 2016 T6 highline 2.0TDI SWB for something like £18k... if i can somehow scrape a deposit together of £4k I'd proabably be able to manage just over £300 a month for 5 years...or somehow get a loan and do it that way. does that sound right? I've never had a loan...

Something like this

Meh - well done to each and every one of you for owning one and living the dream x
Joanna and I waited until we were 73 and 72 respectively until we decided we would go for it and down loaded the money off the house ! Best thing we ever did, just wish we could have done it earlier !!!

All depends on the pollutant. Transport is by far the biggest producer of NOx in the UK with 35% coming from road transport and 17% from other transport forms. 22% is from power generation (all those filthy EVs ;)) and ‘only’ 19% comes from industrial processes.

As for particulate matter - the stuff that is even found in our internal organs, then people with log burners in their homes (2.5 million of them apparently ) are the main source - 3 times higher than road transport. But mention insulating homes and it’s like you’re offering to spread the plague.
To keep warm. Yet if houses were properly insulated they would not need huge amounts of heat input at all saving the occupier money on fuel (and healthcare costs) while reducing pollution.

As for ‘That's when you realise this is more about some people being anti-car.’ I think that’s a bit of a generalisation and over exaggeration.
Many of us love our cars, vans, motorcycles and the freedom they provide. Doesn’t mean we all love the idea of an early death with either cancer or heart disease or stroke though. See it as some people being anti-disease, not anti-car.
Headline figure is still 52% coming from transport. I expect politicians would want to prioritise somehow and with 25% of car journies being under 1 mile, and 72% under five miles, how people use cars needs consideration before you start closing industry that brings in money/jobs.
@Lubrown, your social gatherings must be riveting, laugh-a-minute affairs, with all the fun of a suicide pact.

Doesn't look bad, although advert says it has adaptive cruise control which it doesn't (in case that was a deciding factor).

Adaptive cruise on the MFSW will have the distance button in the middle on the left hand buttons, std cruise doesn't have this button.
1000007451.png

Doesn't look bad, although advert says it has adaptive cruise control which it doesn't (in case that was a deciding factor).

Adaptive cruise on the MFSW will have the distance button in the middle on the left hand buttons, std cruise doesn't have this button.
View attachment 238364
That's really helpful. It's not a dealbreaker but good to know. I'm assuming you can't code it in aftermarket...

Looks like a nice van. From the photos it looks like it’s better than I would imagine for the mileage.

It’s actually quite similar to my base van in spec and price when I bought it in 2019 with 40 miles on (sorry, it doesn’t help to say this and rub it in but I’m smiling like a Cheshire Cat here :p ).

Looks like a nice van. From the photos it looks like it’s better than I would imagine for the mileage.

It’s actually quite similar to my base van in spec and price when I bought it in 2019 with 40 miles on (sorry, it doesn’t help to say this and rub it in but I’m smiling like a Cheshire Cat here :p ).
Do not apologise. You deserve it. Keep smiling hehe

I had ACC coded in on my Caravelle, you need the city assist braking which comes with the front radar, and obviously the buttons need to be replaced.

Do you do any/much driving at night?

LED headlights are a MASSIVE upgrade over the incredibly poor std halogen lights and one thing that is far too costly to have retrofitted, so you might want to consider that. Obviously it'll cut down your choice by a lot.

I had ACC coded in on my Caravelle, you need the city assist braking which comes with the front radar, and obviously the buttons need to be replaced.

Do you do any/much driving at night?

LED headlights are a MASSIVE upgrade over the incredibly poor std halogen lights and ones thing that is far too costly to have retrofitted, so you might want to consider that. Obviously it'll cut down your choice by a lot.
I think there will be trip driving at night on b roads etc like NC500... although why would I drive when I can't see the views... my mondeo has candle headlights so am used to it to a certain extent. Can't I just get better bulbs? Phillips vision bulbs maybe?

You can upgrade the bulbs but they'll never match the, quite frankly bloody brilliant, factory LED headlights.

It's just a matter of what's important to you, they might not be a deal-breaker but it's better to know before you buy that it's not something you can easily upgrade to the same standard.

The van is no longer available. Autotrader fail. That's very disappointing. I thought I'd alligned the cash and van... what a kick in the plums. The search continues. Thanks all for input x

Back