How noisy is a poptop to drive

Freaky. That's just driven past me as I was walking home in Worthing. Couldn't hear the roof, but did have my headphones in :whistle:

Should it go up all the way by itself with the struts or do you need to give it a final push for the last bit to make tight - sorry for what might be an obvious question but not had a Campervan before?

Yes. Should go all the way up under its own steam. Looks like it is hitting the roof of the showroom in your photos. When unrestricted the canvas should be taut all round.

20240403_182501.jpg

Freaky. That's just driven past me as I was walking home in Worthing. Couldn't hear the roof, but did have my headphones in :whistle:
Hi PaulR83

Yes it’s at a Worthing garage - how funny :)

And why want to join the VW community as everyone looks out for others - scary as first Campervan.

Reactions: CAB
How noisy overall should we expect the van to be compared to a large estate car?
My previous car was a Skoda Superb, so a big estate with full leather, 18" wheels with normal sized tyres, 150bhp TDI engine. Supremely comfortable over long journeys and nice and quiet.

My current 'van' is a 2018 Caravelle 150bhp TDI, with acoustic windscreen and front door windows (double glazed).

Sound-wise - they're not that different tbh. At 60 or 70mph my Caravelle is as quiet as my old Skoda.

Ride-wise, I'm on stock suspension but with 20mm lower springs, so 30mm lower than standard. Std 17" wheels and tyres. The ride isn't as good, that's for sure - and compared to my dad's Volvo with air suspension (even with 20" wheels) it's a completely different animal and not even comparable.

The vans definitely ride better when they have some weight in the back.

Hi PaulR83

Yes it’s at a Worthing garage - how funny :)
Just looked and it's 5 mins from me. Noticed they have been selling campers lately. Sorry I cant be of any actual use though ;)
Van did look smart as I did admire it in the traffic by the station.

Mine makes no noise, squeaks, rattles or wind noise, even up to 100mph.
On those photos is the roof all the way up as the canvas looks saggy. It might just be that everything needs adjusting and it will be ok.
But as mentioned before some pop tops have a frame made of 4 seperate pieces just riveted in the corners. I can’t see how those can be strong enough to prevent the van structure from flexing and squeaking.
Some have a fully welded pre made steel frame that is fully riveted into the van. From my experience that won’t squeak.
Much respect for having the balls to go 100mph in your camper Si
:D :cool:

Hi Bigsidavies,

I think it is all the way up - but can’t remember 100% when we looked at it - but will have a better look when we go back to re-test - guessing from your comment it should be tight?
Yeah, it should be reasonably taut.

Thanks Bav, as a novice about to spend the grandkids inheritance all a bit worrying - but will take a better test - not sure what to compare it to as only tent camped - any advice?

Just looked at the pictures on their website as still there. I noticed round where the hookup cable goes in it's rusting as the paint is bubbling where the hole is cut. I'd want that sorted or money off.

Thanks Bav, as a novice about to spend the grandkids inheritance all a bit worrying - but will take a better test - not sure what to compare it to as only tent camped - any advice?
This is mine...
1712167768026.jpeg

As you can see, it's not exactly as taut as a drumskin, but there's no bagginess when fully deployed. However, as mentioned by others, in your pic it looks like the ceiling of the showroom is preventing the roof from fully lifting, so this may be a complete non-issue.

Personally, I'd give the seller a chance to remedy the squeaking, but I'd walk away if they failed to fully resolve.

Just looked at the pictures on their website as still there. I noticed round where the hookup cable goes in it's rusting as the paint is bubbling where the hole is cut. I'd want that sorted or money off.
Hi PaulR83 - factored that into the P/x I think - got an extra £1k more than value - hope that covers it?

This is mine...
View attachment 235440

As you can see, it's not exactly as taut as a drumskin, but there's no bagginess when fully deployed. However, as mentioned by others, in your pic it looks like the ceiling of the showroom is preventing the roof from fully lifting, so this may be a complete non-issue.

Personally, I'd give the seller a chance to remedy the squeaking, but I'd walk away if they failed to fully resolve.

loving all the advice :)

One odd thing was all three internal window curtains in the poptop have tape (looks like duck tape) running vertically - don’t understand why?

loving all the advice :)

One odd thing was all three internal window curtains in the poptop have tape (looks like duck tape) running vertically - don’t understand why?
Ask seller, get pics, share here. :thumbsup:

Back