Immobilser Installation On 2017 T6 - Yay or Nay?

GProud

Forgive me if this is well-trodden ground, but I was about to book the installation of a ghost immobiliser but after doing some reading, it sounds like the van may already have a decent level of factory-fitted security by way of an alarm and an immobiliser

I can't see in the manual what Thatcham rating is included with a 2017 T6 from the factory

Any info, greatly appreciated

Many thanks in advance

It depends on your view of the risk.

The T6 T6.1 has a decent level of OEM security without some of the risks that come with "convenience" of more modern security.

But being OEM it will be expected by anyone targeting your van who will have had time to consider work arounds and bypasses.

If you feel the risk is high due to location, trade tools on board or additional customisation then beefing up the physical security (steering wheel locks, pedal locks, side locks) or electronic security (and the ghost is well regarded around these parts) may be a good idea.

If nothing else might be worth having a chat with your insurer to find out what would bring premiums down for you?

Thanks
It depends on your view of the risk.

The T6 T6.1 has a decent level of OEM security without some of the risks that come with "convenience" of more modern security.

But being OEM it will be expected by anyone targeting your van who will have had time to consider work arounds and bypasses.

If you feel the risk is high due to location, trade tools on board or additional customisation then beefing up the physical security (steering wheel locks, pedal locks, side locks) or electronic security (and the ghost is well regarded around these parts) may be a good idea.

If nothing else might be worth having a chat with your insurer to find out what would bring premiums down for you?
Thanks @roadtripper

It's a fully converted Camper and I live in East London so have found out that most insurance companies won't touch me with a barge pole, the additional layer of security makes sense to me

The other way of looking at it is this. If the additional security doesn't get in your way then it can only help and it adds to your peace of mind as well.

For the Caravelle we look stock and (hopefully) unremarkable so all I've done is the spare wheel lock and an Stoplock for visible "not worth your bother" deterrent when we leave it parked at places for the day.

I'm tempted by the ghost, but for now I think the additional small hassle of turning it off isn't worth it against the risks. I would say it would be my next step though.

Last edited:
YAY !!!

100% deffo get a Ghost fitted. - even if just for peace of mind.

its the only way to make sure the van wont start if/when they steal your keys.

because the T6 security is very good.

the thieves will attempt to get hold of the keys to steel the van - normally via house break-in or assault robbery.

with a Ghost they can get your keys - but wont drive away in the van.

Ah yes, following advice we now make a point of storing the van keys in a hidden place in the house, and the Stoplock key is not on the same keyring.

YAY !!!

the thieves will attempt to get hold of the keys to steel the van - normally via house break-in or assault robbery.

Signed up today for Advance In-Car Tech of Poole to do my Ghost installation as they have experience of T6 fits but they are so busy they can’t do mine until the end of Sep. 2hr drive for me but reckon it will be worth it.

YAY !!!

Just for accuracy, this is not the only way to make sure your van won't start if they steal your key.
I have the MetaTrak S5 Deadlock Pro installed which allows me to disable the ODB port and/or the engine start using the phone app, so even if I have the tag nearby and the key in the ignition it will not start unless I enable it with my phone. I also use the steering wheel stoplock every time it is parked and keep my van key hidden away in the house on its own away from my house keys/immobiliser tag. I was considering the ghost also......

Just for accuracy, this is not the only way to make sure your van won't start if they steal your key.
I have the MetaTrak S5 Deadlock Pro installed which allows me to disable the ODB port and/or the engine start using the phone app, so even if I have the tag nearby and the key in the ignition it will not start unless I enable it with my phone. I also use the steering wheel stoplock every time it is parked and keep my van key hidden away in the house on its own away from my house keys/immobiliser tag. I was considering the ghost also......
yes very true.

i also have the MetaTrak S5 (but the previous version without the fob - but has the secondary immobiliser via the APP).

this is assuming you have the BT function enabled where the Metatrak needs to see your phone for the van to start, (the Ghost has this feature as well but personally i prefer not to use it - i use the code method)

and it also assumes that your Metatrak TAG is not on your vans keyring (should be separate from the vans keys). (which a lot of people don't do, this effectively disables the point of having the Fob in the first place)

and it assumes that you have manually immobilised the van remotely.

so technically you are correct, but there are procedures users need to be aware of to ensure that the van is immobilised correctly.

++++++++++++

so i use the Ghost as well as a failsafe measure - the only way to start the van is to enter your own secret code,

you can change the code as you like and you can enable/disable the Valet mode as you like

++++++++++++

Any difference in the Scorpion Vs the Ghost?

@dcpen43. It’s a bit late now but my Ghost 2 was fitted by a guy named Greg who runs Autolec: A U T O L E C - Automotive Electrical Installation. He came to me and fitted it on my drive (which is just down the road from you in Frampton on Severn!). That was nearly 4 years ago but he's still in business.
It’s my fault @Ayjay for not asking the community if they know of any local fitters in Gloucester. I would have gone to Greg knowing he did yours. Have you used the Apple app with your G2?

Will combine the fit with a stay at the Back of Beyond campsite in St Leonard’s. Great secure site with quirky bar and very modern and clean facilities.

Back