Pop top internal wiring

aidanhudd1878

VIP Member
Hello everyone,

I've recently had a Westdubs pop top fitted to my van and I am now wanting to fit my solar panel which I have already bought.

It's a 150w flexi solar panel with a rear cable that will come through a hole in my new roof towards the back of the pop top with the cable coming through on the inside of the canvas to the back of the pop top bed area.

I understand how to attach it to the roof and now I just want advise/hints/tips even and to see how others have run the cabling on the inside where they have a pop top roof.

Yes, hindsight is a wonderful thing and it would have been easier getting it all done at the same time as the pop top and carpeting but I'm still going ahead with it.

Have people just drilled a hole through the new strengthening frame in their van, to get it to a place to run down and behind the panel above the rear wheel arch? Please send your pictures! :)

IMG_20240331_133949_526.jpg

Thanks,

Aidan

Hello everyone,

I've recently had a Westdubs pop top fitted to my van and I am now wanting to fit my solar panel which I have already bought.

It's a 150w flexi solar panel with a rear cable that will come through a hole in my new roof towards the back of the pop top with the cable coming through on the inside of the canvas to the back of the pop top bed area.

I understand how to attach it to the roof and now I just want advise/hints/tips even and to see how others have run the cabling on the inside where they have a pop top roof.

Yes, hindsight is a wonderful thing and it would have been easier getting it all done at the same time as the pop top and carpeting but I'm still going ahead with it.

Have people just drilled a hole through the new strengthening frame in their van, to get it to a place to run down and behind the panel above the rear wheel arch? Please send your pictures! :)

View attachment 235483

Thanks,

Aidan
I’m in exactly the same place Aidan.
I’m thinking to either route the cables through the rear ‘open’ end of the pop top ie not into the interior via a deck gland, securing the cables via my pop top fabric bungee and then through the tailgate hinge bungs using short glands, or directly through the pop top into the roof space, routing the cables through the rear of the fixed upstairs bed board base into a little cupboard above the bed and route onward to below the sink. Both are a faff but I think the latter will make a cleaner job‍♂️

Back