Rust on sidebars, how to fix?

VanMan48

T6 Pro
I have black side bars which have started to rust in places and so wanted to ask how to go about sorting this? Not done this before, but can it be sanding back and then resprayed?

If so can anyone recommend a type of sandpaper and matt black paint? Or is there a better way of sorting it, just didn't want to spend much to get it done. Is it the sort of stuff I can get from the local Halfords?

Thanks.

Take them off. Take to a powdercoater. The result will be far more durable than any rattle can finish.

..but if you did decide to go down the paint route, use stone guard/stone chip paint, its more durable than regular rattle cans.

I'm selling these Sidebar Protectors on eBay if anyone is interested. Had them on my own van for a couple of years now and had no stone chips since. If it's standard slash cut or rounded they are £20 a pair or £35 for 4 front and back. Contact me via eBay with your sidebar measurements for a quote if anyone is interested.

Take them off. Take to a powdercoater. The result will be far more durable than any rattle can finish.
I'd say this also. We used to make Stainless bars and leave raw, these never rusted.. however many want black these days.

I found a bit of a sand using a fine paper followed by satin black hammerite rattle can and it’s a pretty good match

Back