T6.1 Heater blowing Hot-Air only

It’s not a full dash out. The lower trims and the gear selector trim need to be removed then access is possible to the servo motors and linkages. Speaking to the VW technicians it is a fiddly job

Hi it could be the control arm or the servo motor. I think there is a fuse for the whole heater control panel and fan but not the individual motors. So I doubt it will be a fuse.

It will be the plastic star shaped spindle bit that sits in the heater flap motor that has snapped. You can remove the motor from underneath by removing the trim under the steering wheel. I have removed mine to fix, but on looking at the motor close up, with the new replacement spindle bit fitted (bought from ebay), you can see the motor trying to move past the stops, which is why it broke in the first place. So replacing the broken star plastic bit, may fix it for a while, but it will snap again. I have connected vcds and ran IDE01546-Adapt door end stops. But it still tries to push past the stops. I'm scratching my head, I don't want to refit it and have it snap again, I'm thinking it may be a faulty HVAC control console sending it dodgy instructions? Attached is photo of the removed motor and the 3d printed replacement plastic star lever about to be installed.

435447506_389773967265036_7261515127671910470_n.jpg

Here a picture of the motor after I removed it with part of the old plastic star bit snapped inside of it. Unfortunately, I didn't take a photo of the other bit attached to the linkage, and after I prized it off, it fell down into the abyss.

436826381_2375355635982304_4487788048298829093_n.jpg

Brilliant - once i get some time i'll take out the motor and perhaps send an image and try to order the correct part. Thanks for the responses. Steve

Hi can someone help me to find a climate flap position motor for a T6? I believe mine is faulty/siezed it is responding to full dial movements with arounds 4mm of travel which i believe is not correct and could be the cause of the issue. All the linkage seems correct. By working the linkage manually we get full climate control. I found a motor for a T5 which looks similar however i doubting this will work on the T6 too? :D

Two years on from when I started this thread , I think mine has broke yet again. Not under warranty now but if I can get it done I will. They did say they'll cover it if it ever did go again but I've not got this in writing

I’ve been under the dash and videoed the motor moving and clearly shows the broken lever. Hope this is enough to save the van being in all day to diagnose what we all know is wrong. Especially as they’ve already done this recently. View attachment 215647
Mine costs 650 +vat to fix van is just 3 year old it's an absolute joke never buy a vw again

Mine costs 650 +vat to fix van is just 3 year old it's an absolute joke never buy a vw again
That’s a total rip off. I waited whilst mine was fixed for hot air only - under warranty and less than two hours work parts costing under £120.
VW will be losing the loyal fan base by taking the proverbial !

So with the factory warranty expiring at the end of the month driving back from an outing last night our 21 T6.1 Caravelle was making some distinctly odd noises behind the dash.

It sounded like a small flock of birds trapped, or possibly something like a thread trapped around a motor spindle.

It would come and go but was loud enough MrsRT noticed it (she's famed for "of course it rattles, it's a van" comments whenever I ask her about odd noises that seemingly only I can hear)

Tried changing the blower speed in case something had got trapped (instinct from the XC70) but not really had time to investigate and wanted to see if it range a bell with anyone.

I will try and check for correct operation of the cold/warm air in a bit as slightly paranoid this might be the infamous 6.1 servo motor issues that there are many threads about, if it is I wanted it noted/investigated before end of warranty...

I emailed VW customer care earlier this week but still haven't had a reply.

I was told by the dealer who fixed it 2 years ago that if it broke again they'd fix it. We'll see if they honour that. Trouble is I wouldn't return to that dealer as they damaged my van.

VW have finally got back to me via email. They want to book it in for a diagnostic and warn that if it's out of warranty or it's not a manufacturing defect then I may get charged. They've asked me for a preferred dealer to book it in, but I'm struggling to decide. The dealer where I bought it and who did the original dash out fix for the heating 2 years ago are a complete cowboy outfit. When I searched around most dealers have terrible reviews.

God knows what I do next

Firstly it is a well documented manufacturing defect so keep telling them by email that you know about the defective part. For VW it is a virtual no cost repair. If outside warranty you will struggle to get them to pay 100% Go directly to customer services and give them hell. I’ve found they will offer a contribution which in reality costs them nothing but you pay the bare costs. Good luck.

OK so took the van for a drive to get it warmed up and then when the start stop kicks in I can definitely hear moving flaps behind the dash when set to moderate temperature that seems to stop at lower or higher temperatures, as if the van can't decide where to put the blend door.

Sticking the borescope camera up behind the steering wheel it's this arm that's moving oddly, it seems to have periods where it seems to just judder between 2 positions:

2024-05-06-181824262.jpg

I've got some video of it doing it as well but no easy way to share that here currently.

Does this look like the 6.1 servo motor issues starting?

Would be useful to know any service bulletins or part numbers as it's going in for it's end of warranty inspection on Thursday and it would be good to be forewarned...

I remembered I had a trial account at Vimeo...

It was hard to get a clip of it doing the judder on video but in this clip the climate control is on a fixed temperature and direction and I didn't touch any controls, yet the arm still moves about after about 10 seconds

When I've seen it doing the much more noticeable judder the arm just seems to seek back and forth every second or so, sometimes lasting for a minute or more.

Back