What are you growing at the moment?

Apples, pears, blackcurrants, gooseberries, raspberries, blueberries, rhubarb, sugar snap peas, runner beans, spaghetti squash, gherkin cucumbers, purple sprouting broccoli, black kale, beetroot, lettuce, herbs and the inevitable radish.

Apples, Pears, Plums, Figs, Hazelnuts, and Rhubarb.

Got to keep it self regulating until I stop working away. They'd never get watered!

Apples, pears, blackcurrants, gooseberries, raspberries, blueberries, rhubarb, sugar snap peas, runner beans, spaghetti squash, gherkin cucumbers, purple sprouting broccoli, black kale, beetroot, lettuce, herbs and the inevitable radish.
We started out with those but apparently we're mostly growing slugs and pigeons now. :confused:

i built a sleeper raised bed back in January, and am growing the food items we eat the most. Garlic, onions and spuds. Also have an apple tree (great for apple pies) and a pear tree that the wasps get pizzed on :sneaky:
IMG_5346.jpeg

Rhubarb.... 3 crowns and already amount of fruit off is mad. Pear tree, blackcurrant bush, 3 apple trees and a plum tree. Also a raised strawberry bed made out of half pallets. In summer will get approx 1 small ice-cream tub full every morning. That's throwing the overripe ones or ones with small insects in to the hens!

Too many strawberry plants. Approx 60 in bed... Lots of flowers appearing so fingers crossed for a bumper crop!

IMG20230509175747.jpg

Last edited:
One thing the Covid-19 virus has brought home to me is my reliance on the easy availability of things, such as food, fruit, veg etc.

It would appear that we could now well be facing the real likelihood of certain shortages of our staples in the near future as lockdown rules means the farms might not be able to get the staff they need to plant, pick and process the food stuff we all take for granted everyday. It's not a localised thing, it stretches right across the EU where we import a lot of the fruit and veg we eat, and it's something we should maybe think about a bit.

On that basis I decided to consider viewing my garden more as a means of production rather than a means of leisure. I'm very lucky to have a garden but, unfortunate in that it's pointing in the wrong direction to the sun to effectively/successfully grow veg/fruit etc. However, it does get full sun in certain places so I decided on a huge plant-pot veg garden where I could move the pots around the garden to get maximum sun. I've so far managed to plant a load of stuff so far, including: potatoes, carrots, celery, parsnips, cabbage, onions, spring onions, red onions, parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme, :) cauliflower, coriander, Cos lettuce, rocket, scotch bonnet, jalapeno chilli, Tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, and peppers + +. That should hopefully reduce my reliance on the supermarkets and, if successful, I might well be able to donate any surplus to my friends and neighbours. That's the plan. All of these things can be grown from a window box if needs be.

If you don't have a garden you could maybe consider "gorilla growing". Simply find a patch of land, public or private (be sensible), and start growing on it. Who's going to object? The main point is, if you can grow it, you most definitely should. It's good for the environment too, considering the logistical issues of getting your veg to your plates. If you can get your community to get involved in some sort of "community grow", you could certainly grow a heap. .

So, are you growing anything? Can you give us any hints and tips of growing veg in your garden, or in containers?

Let us know.
Basil......im growing basil.
My friend is Sicilian and his mother recently showed me how to make a marinara sauce two ways.... the first way took 3 hours and the second way too 30 minutes... both great. The key apparently is fresh basil. 10 leaves per batch.....so I'm having to grow alot because somehow I've become hooked on it.

At 17 if you had told me at 44 I would be growing basil, id have told you where to go lol

Back