What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

I cleaned the flexible Solar panel on my pop top by hand with t-cut. It's now putting out 12V again instead of less than 1V
A problem I have with garden lights is the solar panel getting more opaque on the surface due to UV degradation. If things improve with TCut then you may be polishing this haze layer off but you may also be removing the UV protection. I'd try and use some of the UV protection compound for headlights to see if it slows things down.

For the garden ones I often use a bit of clear oil on them to make the haze less of a problem. I've yet to try it but apparently spray lacquer works well so long as it's clean.

Not done by me but Autoglass came today and fitted a new OEM heated windscreen (the crack on the old one was almost top to bottom). They should have done it a couple of months ago but managed to break the first one that they received - that took a month to get and this one two months. The nice chap who did the job also refixed my dash cam as well.

Autoglass.jpg

I've opened the pop top for the first time this year to check whether the canvas was ok after the winter. Whilst it was up I put the new duvalay 5cm freshtec mattress up in the pop top to see if the pop top (a Skyline Aurora) would close with it in place - the answer was an emphatic NO. It will pull down and I can lock it but the sides and back are far from pulled own, there is a large gap all the way around. Oh well. The duvalay will have to come out and travel in the van when we're on the move.
The other thing I did was remove the spare wheel from the carrier ready for the 'new' tyre that is on a steel wheel to be changed onto the alloy with the tyre that is low on tread depth. That is booked in for Tuesday morning then it will have a hunter 4 wheel alignment done to make sure everything is facing forwards and the irritating offset on the steering wheel can be straightened out.
Then I've completely unpacked the van ready to repack it ahead of our 3 week road trip through Wales to the T6F camp at Bala and back. We've never done a long road trip living out of the van so this will be a learning experience. Adventure awaits! :D :thumbsup:

I've opened the pop top for the first time this year to check whether the canvas was ok after the winter. Whilst it was up I put the new duvalay 5cm freshtec mattress up in the pop top to see if the pop top (a Skyline Aurora) would close with it in place - the answer was an emphatic NO. It will pull down and I can lock it but the sides and back are far from pulled own, there is a large gap all the way around. Oh well. The duvalay will have to come out and travel in the van when we're on the move.
The other thing I did was remove the spare wheel from the carrier ready for the 'new' tyre that is on a steel wheel to be changed onto the alloy with the tyre that is low on tread depth. That is booked in for Tuesday morning then it will have a hunter 4 wheel alignment done to make sure everything is facing forwards and the irritating offset on the steering wheel can be straightened out.
Then I've completely unpacked the van ready to repack it ahead of our 3 week road trip through Wales to the T6F camp at Bala and back. We've never done a long road trip living out of the van so this will be a learning experience. Adventure awaits! :D :thumbsup:
i have a 5cm thick memory foam mattress and it does create a side gap too but not overly big. I take the mattress out in the winter but have had not damp issues through the other seasons while it remains in the pop top.

i was going to do that but ended up putting a subwoofer there and safe under the Rib seat.
My music makes Mrs G very angry - so I am not permitted to waste money on a subwoofer when there are other things I can be wasting my money on instead.
I blame Son2. We put one in his first car and then his first day van that I drove to work for the last few years. I am a child at heart.

I'm wondering by applying pressure to the panel you may have re-established a connection somewhere. Even a dirty dirty panel will still get a voltage of more than 1v. Keep your eye on it! There shouldn't be a need for T-Cut. We have a bird loving neighbour who extensively feeds our feathered friends who show their gratitude by bombing our vehicles, most upsetting, I use an occasional wet wipe to remove the 'product'!
Use an air rifle for a better result!

My music makes Mrs G very angry - so I am not permitted to waste money on a subwoofer when there are other things I can be wasting my money on instead.
I blame Son2. We put one in his first car and then his first day van that I drove to work for the last few years. I am a child at heart.
you will have to play music Mrs G likes and then say this would sound amazing with a bit more bass

Or if your going to Bala get a Mrs G playlist together and all the Dubs who have squandered money on subs can play it :) :)

i have a 5cm thick memory foam mattress and it does create a side gap too but not overly big. I take the mattress out in the winter but have had not damp issues through the other seasons while it remains in the pop top.
The gap around my roof was very large, most of the 5cm depth of the mattress! I didn’t want to put any additional stress on the closure and locking system on my Aurora roof whilst they are given to opening on the road.
What roof do you have?

Last edited:
The gap around my roof was very large, most of the 5cm depth of the mattress! I didn’t want to put any additional stress on the closure and locking system on my Aurora roof whilst they are given to opening on the road.
What roof do you have?
not sure bought the Van after the conversion. Yours must quite streamlined

Fitted the Rokk monitor stand - 5 minute job.
Any advice on what monitor to use ? May laptop fits however would rather use something else maybe not as expensive as an iPad

1000014729.jpg

Fitted the Rokk monitor stand - 5 minute job.
Any advice on what monitor to use ? May laptop fits however would rather use something else maybe not as expensive as an iPad

View attachment 238322
I use one in my van with an Ipad Pro, Rokk stuff isn’t cheap but I haven’t seen anything that comes close to it.
Plenty of secondhand Ipads available, I have a Generation 1, ancient but still does the job.

Back