102 Capable of pulling horse trailer weighing 2,200kg?

LOULABEAU

Hello all, I have joined as I my T6 T30 Highline 140bhp was recently written off by another driver. I used it a lot to pull a horse trailer that weighed 2,200-2,300Kg and it was great at it. I have to now find a replacement and my husband doesn't trust most dealers so am limited to Private ads and most of those are 102BHP. If you google it you can apparently pull 2,500Kg but wondered what anyone's experience was? I don't need speed when towing but do want to be able to get up a hill if need be without breaking out in a cold sweat!!

You will need to check for the specific age/model of vehicle but I just looked in the 2019 VW T6 brochure and all of the 102ps variants are listed with a manufacturers recommended max tow limit of 2200kg. All the other engines are listed at 2500kg. It is perfectly possible that this changed depending on model year, but you'd be well advised to check thoroughly first or it will be an expensive mistake.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.
Good advice is given above. If your van is approved for towing that sort of weight you'd still be near the maximum and although there are plenty who tow trailers with a 102 you'd certainly notice the difference between that and your old 140.
There isn't a right or wrong answer but personally I'd want a 150Hp output or more, others are free to differ, obviously.

Thank you if there's even the slightest doubt I won't go there. Once got stuck on Edge Hill behind a bunch of cyclists with 2 horses in the back... my van was fine but sounds like I might not have been in a 102. Thanks very much - I will just have to be patient and wait for the right van to come up.

Check the V5 Reg’ Doc’ for max’ trailer loads, braked and unbraked. I have a T32 and my max’ unbraked is 750Kg and max’ braked 2500Kg.
As for drivability obviously the engine will be under substantial load and there will be more gear changing than with a more powerful engine. The 5 speed manual gearbox isn’t re known for robustness, towing heavy loads isn’t going to help.
I think I would opt for a more powerful engine, 6 speed gear box and 340mm front brakes.

For perspective, I tow a 2000kg boat with my 204/4mot/DSG. I wouldn’t want to be towing anything heavier with fewer horses. And that’s before you start looking at brakes & clutches.

Back