20’s any regrets?

Parabola

Hi,

I’ve just purchased a t6.1 and I’m thinking of upgrading to a set of 20’s. Once the van is converted, I’ll be using it in a rural-ish area, campsites, bit of commuting on the roads etc.

I’ve seen one or two comments on here about people ditching their 20’s and going back to 17’s, 18’s, 19’s with a bigger tyre.

Just interested to hear your thoughts.

Are you happy with 20’s? Any drawbacks? Did you go with 20’s then swap out for something smaller?

I went from stock 16s & stock suspension to 20s & STX Coilovers at the same time. I can definitely feel more of the road imperfections but it’s very minimal - The upgraded suspension plays a huge part in that.

I’m often back & forth over whether to go down the Low Swamper route as I also live in the countryside (Wiltshire) and wouldn’t totally discount it as an option in the future should I fancy a change. But that’s the only reason I’d do it, just a change to see what the other end of the spectrum is like, as opposed to there being a problem with running the 20s. I prefer the Sporty look myself but as with everything, that’s just personal preference.

We’ve had our T6.1 LWB since January and covered circa 5k miles on 20’s with Cobra springs. I struggle to find the sweet spot for tyre pressure. We’ve had a cracked wheel and yesterday (while on the NC500) a huge tyre bulge / bubble on the sidewall. I am serially considering dropping to 18’s for more rubber. We’ve been camping lots since Jan but the NC500 has been the harshest on the wheels / tyres so far. I’m no expert, could be my cheap Lanvigator Catch Power tyres? I’m going to spend a good week researching my options when we get home. If I do decide to bin the 20’s, they’ll be on here for sale. :)

There is an enormous amount of discussion on this forum regarding wheels tyres and suspension. For my ten penny worth ride quality is always a combination of a good suspension set up and good quality tyres at the optimal pressure.
In my case I have had CRS work wonders with the suspension which has dramatically improved ride quality and handling.
I run 20” wheels all the same width, with the best premium tyres - currently Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 265 40 at 36.5 psi all round. Michelin and Bridgestone are equally as good
The ride quality is probably as good as I can get without going to Air suspension.
Steve at CRS did advise me not to go more than 255 which I will try next time tyres are due.
We are all trying to get a commercial vehicle to be a comfortable as a car but not many cars have a certified gross weight of 3200kg - as the designer of the McLaren road car said weight IS the enemy

Last edited:
Got 20" on my bmw i3s but these actually have a decent side wall compared to my old 335 that had rubber bands for tyres. Was a nightmare and said I would never have wheels with very small side walls again. 18" on my T6 and wouldn't really want to go any larger.

Got 20" on my bmw i3s but these actually have a decent side wall compared to my old 335 that had rubber bands for tyres. Was a nightmare and said I would never have wheels with very small side walls again. 18" on my T6 and wouldn't really want to go any larger.
Same on my Polestar 2 and that’s a heavy beast for a wee car. They are perfect. 18” steelies for me with some retro hubs. Just have to brave the near 5 hour drive home with this 16” spare.

Just spotted this thread. My van came new to me with 20 inch RotiForms. The ride is harsh and replacement tyres are expensive, they rub on full lock and they're also curb magnets, despite my care. They look great, but I think some nice 18s will look just as fine. After a couple of sets of premium tyres and a refurb, I'm trading down to a nice set of 18s. Just trying to find ones I like. I don't think 20 inch wheels suit a van practically in the real world.

Obvs I'm a month late to the party here, what did you do if anything OP?

I’ve mellowed ever so slightly since my rage when stuck miles from home. I’ve been setting the tyres to around 40psi and the comfort is better and not had any major issues (with the wheels and tyres anyway). I’m running 255/35 on my 20’s but I’ll be stepping up to 235/40 on next tyre change. Mine is lowered by 40mm and don’t get any rubbing.

I do agree that 18’s seem to be the sweet spot TBF. I’ll stick with the 20’s until my next rage though.

I’ve got 20’s with 275’s all round.
Standard suspension and have zero rubbing and it handles fine. I’ve no plans to touch my suspension and done the NC500 plus another 700 miles around Scotland twice with no problems. And I prefer to park off grid.
Love my 20’s and they are going nowhere

I’ve got 20’s with 275’s all round.
Standard suspension and have zero rubbing and it handles fine. I’ve no plans to touch my suspension and done the NC500 plus another 700 miles around Scotland twice with no problems. And I prefer to park off grid.
Love my 20’s and they are going nowhere
Quick one, what profile? 35?

Right, thought I’d update. Done with my 20’s, they’ll be on here and gumtree next week. I have a feeling it’s the cheap tyres or I’m running wrong pressure or the roads or my suspension… either way, totally done with them. Left to drive from central belt to Aviemore yesterday for the night. Once again, felt vibration through the van, just past House of Bruar, pulled over and both rear tyres had blisters on the inner tyre wall. Just a reminder, I’m running 20x8 Velare alloys with Lanvigator 255/35 that are allegedly 102 load rated. Buying a new set of 18’s first thing Monday. I’ve been running 41psi and the van was hardly loaded.

I reckon its the cheap tyres that aint helping things here .
I've run 19's for a while with premium tyres and these were pretty good before stepping down to about 5 different lots of 17's with bigger profile tyres ( for comfort and less chances of curbing) .
I do much prefer the look of a bigger wheel but personally i need at very least a 40 profile tyre .

I reckon its the cheap tyres that aint helping things here .
I've run 19's for a while with premium tyres and these were pretty good before stepping down to about 5 different lots of 17's with bigger profile tyres ( for comfort and less chances of curbing) .
I do much prefer the look of a bigger wheel but personally i need at very least a 40 profile tyre .
I have a theory that before I bought the van it was sitting in the forecourt for too long on too low pressures… it seems to be the original tyres that were on it when bought that are failing.

When I bought my van, it had 20" Velare VLR-07's, 275/35's all round, no rubbing, but very crashy, saggy arse syndrome, front pointing at the sky.
Steve at CRS performed a suspension miracle and recommended 245/45 on the fronts and 275/40 on the rears. A nice set of Michelin CC2 suv's was purchased thanks to my wifes NHS bonus she received over a year ago.
10k miles in on them now, recently come back from Skye, home of the Pothole, straight after that a trip the other way to Weymouth. Those tyres have been fabulous, no signs of wear yet, they stop well when necessary and aren't in any way noisy. Wet campsite grass hasn't been a problem either.
40 psi all round, going up to 42 when fully loaded. I will certainly have another set in due course, totally recommended to all.

When I bought my van, it had 20" Velare VLR-07's, 275/35's all round, no rubbing, but very crashy, saggy arse syndrome, front pointing at the sky.
Steve at CRS performed a suspension miracle and recommended 245/45 on the fronts and 275/40 on the rears. A nice set of Michelin CC2 suv's was purchased thanks to my wifes NHS bonus she received over a year ago.
10k miles in on them now, recently come back from Skye, home of the Pothole, straight after that a trip the other way to Weymouth. Those tyres have been fabulous, no signs of wear yet, they stop well when necessary and aren't in any way noisy. Wet campsite grass hasn't been a problem either.
40 psi all round, going up to 42 when fully loaded. I will certainly have another set in due course, totally recommended to all.
Mate, I know I’ve asked this before, are your Velare’s 8” wide?

8.5's on the front, 10's on the back. I have a spare of each welded up in the garage for every eventuality! Those initial 35 profile tyres killed two of them!
I’m 8’s all round. Need to seriously rethink tyres or wheels… looking at a £1k bill minimum either way :(

Are you still on 20's? Or did you move them on?
It’s currently sitting in the drive with a spare on the drivers rear and a blistered tyre on the passenger rear. I’m leaving it until Monday to decide what I’m doing with these 20’s.

Back