2015 Caravelle 180ps engine using oil

Rv.

Hi all, I’m new here and not too technical I’m afraid. We have a 2015 Caravelle 180ps bi-tdi -(70k miles), that has been swallowing a lot of oil
for about a year.
Last week it completely lost power and we were recovered to a garage who thought there was a fuel pipe problem and replaced it. We were on the road agin for a couple of days and then same issue but all lights on dashboard lit up. Recovered again and now garage say turbo has blown and both need to be replaced - £3500 projected cost, potentially more if the find other problems. Just wanted some advice if this sounds fair / normal? Can’t drive it to another garage for a second opinion so just looking for guidance really. Thanks in advance, Rich.

Welcome to the Forum.
Turbo failure isn't unusual and often with lower mileage than yours, but I'd be a little cautious in your case. You say it's been using a lot of oil.
Has the garage conducted more investigations, for example, you might want a compression test carried out before fitting new turbos because if you have serious bore wear you may want to make an informed decision before spending a ton of cash on turbos.

Run as many tests as you can before going for a big spend. Compression test , oil analysis, fault codes etc.

What’s a lot of oil?
If it’s been swallowing lots of oil for a year I’d be concerned where it’s gone! That engine is know for failure, I fear that new turbo’s may just be the tip of the iceberg. DPF, EGR, turbos and a new engine come to mind.
Have a search of the forum and make sure the garage are competent to diagnose and fix all issues to avoid premature failure of any replacement parts.

Hi all, I’m new here and not too technical I’m afraid. We have a 2015 Caravelle 180ps bi-tdi -(70k miles), that has been swallowing a lot of oil
for about a year.
Last week it completely lost power and we were recovered to a garage who thought there was a fuel pipe problem and replaced it. We were on the road agin for a couple of days and then same issue but all lights on dashboard lit up. Recovered again and now garage say turbo has blown and both need to be replaced - £3500 projected cost, potentially more if the find other problems. Just wanted some advice if this sounds fair / normal? Can’t drive it to another garage for a second opinion so just looking for guidance really. Thanks in advance, Rich.
If you do a search on bitdi 180 lots of issues reported with egr failure lead to engine damage and wear.

Been here....done that. Got a 14 plate T5.1 bitdi. Started drinking oil about 18 months ago...like a lot. 1 litre every 500 miles towards the end and the DPF needing to be regened lots. Did a millers oil test which showed there was lots of aluminum from the EGR in the oil....and this was after the oil effectively being replaced/diluted with fresh oil as it was topped up so frequently. Honeslty, it was actaully driving quite nice. Did it feel like it was down on power vs when i bought it 4 years ago...maybe.

I ended up getting a new crate engine fitted by retro resus, blanked EGR and no DPF. Runs SOOO much better. Probably 20% better fuel economy (vs. where i was), noticeable power improvement etc. Obvs i'm comparing to an engine that was probably on it's knees (but i'll never truely know). I got to the point of either trading it in and letting VW deal with it (but swapping was an extra £30k) or a new engine. Didn't want to have ti break down in me towing up a hill on holiday, and coudn't sell it privately knowing of the issues.

based on the better fuel and oil consumption, it's a no brainer. It will pay for itself by 2092

Wow! You sure had a bad BTDi. I had exactly the same issues with mine and ending up with a new short motor. The strangest thing was, like you said, the performance was still great even with self changing oil :cool:
Plenty of other threads here on a truly bad engine

Back