3rd Row Triple Bench Seat

Bognor,

In the middle photo you can see the nut is not fully onto the stud of the bracket due to the thickness of bodywork at that point. Adding another bracket I believe would compromise the fixing due to the reduction in the number of threads engaged by the nut.

If VW deem it unnecessary to fit extra brackets why would you add them? (Assuming the production line operative didn’t forgot mine!!)

Ian

Hi Ian

Slightly crossed wires here.

Yours is a factory kombi, as you can see the extra reinforcing is there in your first pic - The brackets are for the aftermarket only.

If we ever move kombi seats (from triple to 2+1 or vice versa) or fit a third row in a factory kombi, and every time we convert a panel van, we always fit the extra 'aftermarket' brackets where possible. This is our company policy to be over safe with seat fitting. We wouldn't fit them where the thread isn't long enough, as per your pic 2.

I hope this clarifies our company position on this

Sorry. I think you are slightly wrong here. VW do not and would not make a completely different chassis for a Kombi, Shuttle, Panel or Caravelle etc.
The chassis will all be the same. What your trying to suggest is the rear cross beam is completely different on a shuttle to a kombi for the rear 3rd row seats. I find that incredibly hard to believe. It would be completely uneconomical for VW to design it this way.
They use the strengthening plates on the 2nd row in a few places both at factory or aftermarket and that is because they cannot use the cross member at that section. Mine had brackets in a few places on a factory shuttle.
The 3rd row uses the cross member and no extra brackets, I expect this is the same on all the models. If you add a bracket and your nuts dont go all the way home it will be weaker. I will say though in all fairness it will probably not make too much difference in an accident if you use an extra bracket or dont but if you add a bracket and lose threads, you wont be all the way home and this could loosen over the years.
However your position/opinion is always welcome but I find it wrong that VW would have completely different chassis's.

4976D7ED-4AE4-48B1-A9C9-F26640E31D91.jpeg

There really is no pattern with VW. As can be seen from the pic above, there are plenty of variations under the vehicle, as well as within, with the third row seat belt mounting different on different vehicles. This is a panel van with the aftermarket reinforcement brackets in place, which we’ve fitted. You can see the difference between this and the 2nd picture above which is chunkier and has the lip.

There is plenty of thread on the nuts to allow a reinforcement bracket, even on the chunkier crossmembers. There are a couple that can’t but we have it covered elsewhere.

Over the next few days I will try and get some comparison pictures up of different vehicles.

HTH

Hi all I’m new to this but am currently trying to find out how to fit third row seat belts to my t5 combo..
Wondered if anyone on here had a picture of how the seat belt hanger fixes to the roof bars..
many thanks
Andy

Hi all I’m new to this but am currently trying to find out how to fit third row seat belts to my t5 combo..
Wondered if anyone on here had a picture of how the seat belt hanger fixes to the roof bars..
many thanks
Andy
I'm not sure if I have any photos but on the T6 all the seat belt mounts where already in place. I just had to cut out the panel trim to allow me to secure them metal on metal.

Thanks for the reply.. I need to remove roof panel and side Panels to have a closer look.. I’ve got 2 threaded silver rivets visible in the top roof bar above wheel arch witch I thought at first would be fixing point but they are to small thread for the bolt that came with the hanger.. so just wanted to see if anyone had a picture of that top fixing point to see visually how it attaches..

I'm not sure if I have any photos but on the T6 all the seat belt mounts where already in place. I just had to cut out the panel trim to allow me to secure them metal on metal.

Ooh. That would be excellent. That's the last part of my seating project to complete.

Sorry. I think you are slightly wrong here. VW do not and would not make a completely different chassis for a Kombi, Shuttle, Panel or Caravelle etc.
The chassis will all be the same. What your trying to suggest is the rear cross beam is completely different on a shuttle to a kombi for the rear 3rd row seats. I find that incredibly hard to believe. It would be completely uneconomical for VW to design it this way.
They use the strengthening plates on the 2nd row in a few places both at factory or aftermarket and that is because they cannot use the cross member at that section. Mine had brackets in a few places on a factory shuttle.
The 3rd row uses the cross member and no extra brackets, I expect this is the same on all the models. If you add a bracket and your nuts dont go all the way home it will be weaker. I will say though in all fairness it will probably not make too much difference in an accident if you use an extra bracket or dont but if you add a bracket and lose threads, you wont be all the way home and this could loosen over the years.
However your position/opinion is always welcome but I find it wrong that VW would have completely different chassis's.

Chassis are different, please look at my reply:

Back