AdBlue deal

Nice that you have one local to you. For many though there isn't a pump close enough to make the journey worthwhile. My nearest is 15 miles away, in a direction I almost never travel in.
Me too

Theres a filling station a mile from me and the adblue on the pump is nearly as dear as the diesel!.

12 months from manufacture.
That's a pretty short shelf life! A full tank does 6k miles, so assuming a 12 mth shelf life, what are the implications for someone like @RayF above who does only 3k a year? Assuming the van comes with a full tank of adblue, for the whole of its second year it'll have a tank of past its best adblue....

That's a pretty short shelf life! A full tank does 6k miles, so assuming a 12 mth shelf life, what are the implications for someone like @RayF above who does only 3k a year? Assuming the van comes with a full tank of adblue, for the whole of its second year it'll have a tank of past its best adblue....
I have been thinking that

Nice that you have one local to you. For many though there isn't a pump close enough to make the journey worthwhile. My nearest is 15 miles away, in a direction I almost never travel in.
I used to think that until I realised nearly every hgv pump on a major route has ad blue, it's just not advertised anywhere! I was driving a 12 mile round trip to fill up until I realised my local shell had it on the truck pumps (only took me 18 months to notice :whistle:)

Last edited:
I used to think that until I realised nearly every hgv pump on a major route has ad blue, it's just not advertised anywhere! I was driving a 12 mile trip until I realised my local shell had it on the truck pumps (only took me 18 months to notice :whistle:)
Same, i have just found one of my local garages has it at 69p a litre. Like you say though, not advertised i just stumbled accros it whilst looking for the jetwash :)

Ok, so like most of us always up for a good deal and just ordered the obligatory 3 :). Then reading further down the post and realising that the combination of shelf life and lack of mileage will mean this will be the most expensive 10ltr I've ever purchased :cry: :eek::mad:......

Ok, so like most of us always up for a good deal and just ordered the obligatory 3 :). Then reading further down the post and realising that the combination of shelf life and lack of mileage will mean this will be the most expensive 10ltr I've ever purchased :cry: :eek::mad:......
My thinking too...............or, we will be very popular with our adblue using neighbours?!!!

I tend to ignore shelf life on most things, in the main it is just a ruse to get you to throw it away and buy it again. I am pretty sure that putting out of date adblue into your van will have absolutely no impact or effect on it whatsoever. I only purchased one 10lt though and some screen wash that was on offer because I needed some and it was the brand that that I like to use, just to take me 20p over the magic £15.

I'd be cautious with the ad blue and egr issues to use out of date stuff, not worth it for the few quid it costs could end up costing thousands?

I tend to ignore shelf life on most things, in the main it is just a ruse to get you to throw it away and buy it again. I am pretty sure that putting out of date adblue into your van will have absolutely no impact or effect on it whatsoever. I only purchased one 10lt though and some screen wash that was on offer because I needed some and it was the brand that that I like to use, just to take me 20p over the magic £15.
I should have put the same thought into it. That said, I’m not convinced it “goes off” like that!

Edit: ignore that! Just googled! Think I will be giving away adblue to neighbours as Xmas presents!

Each to their own. I still suspect everything you read on Google about this is only their to scare you into buying more. It is 68% purified water so their isn't much to go off as long as it hasn't been opened. "Urea is a very stable molecule with a half-life (t½) of approximately 40 years at 25 °C, and therefore, it is not spontaneously hydrolysed (degraded) in solution (Callahan et al. 2005; Shaw and Bordeaux 1955)". Quote shamelessly taken from Google also but source verified and yes I was once an industrial chemist.

I have some in the garage that is already 18 months old. It will be going straight into the van when it needs some. Watch this space I guess :whistle:

Each to their own. I still suspect everything you read on Google about this is only their to scare you into buying more. It is 68% purified water so their isn't much to go off as long as it hasn't been opened. "Urea is a very stable molecule with a half-life (t½) of approximately 40 years at 25 °C, and therefore, it is not spontaneously hydrolysed (degraded) in solution (Callahan et al. 2005; Shaw and Bordeaux 1955)". Quote shamelessly taken from Google also but source verified and yes I was once an industrial chemist.

I have some in the garage that is already 18 months old. It will be going straight into the van when it needs some. Watch this space I guess :whistle:
Thanks - I will stop worrying now!

*wonders if it kills weeds/trees!!!

Must admit I was starting to think the same. I’ve still got an unopened 10ltr container in the garage that I bought some time ago.
However, I’m slightly reassured by Tsixty’s post.

Am i the only one who gets through loads of adblu? I get through 10 litres every couple of months. :(

I guess it depends on what sort of driving you do. 10 litres will last me about 5500 miles, whereas our Tig that does shorter journeys will get through that in 3500 - 4000 miles.

Back