Adblue Range Is Increasing ?

Matchwood

I've had my T6 for a couple of months and driven about 1500 miles. The MFD range showed 4000 miles when I got it then it went down to 3500 after about 500 miles now it's saying 5000 miles - I haven't added any Adblue so I can only think it might be a faulty sensor, although I suspect it would probably read 0 miles or the maximum (whatever that is)...?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It could be a faulty sensor, or the computer now know enough about your style of driving and type of journey to have made a recalculation that you're going to use less of the stuff.

It's a bit like the fuel computer in my Volvo. The missus drives like Richard Burton trying to catch the off licence before it closes, but I'm a more sedate motorist. If I drive the car after her the 'range' calculation soon starts to increase with every mile I drive. Adblue is the same, but because it meters out so much less it takes far longer to make a meaningful calculation.

Or it could be the sensor, but in your position I wouldn't be fretting just yet.

How often regens happen (and therefore adblue usage) is based on how the van is driven so it may just be that your driving/usage is different to the previous owner. If it was a delivery van it would have been eating adblue so a low range versus longer distance, A road style driving. Give it time and see if it starts coming down.

I've had my T6 for a couple of months and driven about 1500 miles. The MFD range showed 4000 miles when I got it then it went down to 3500 after about 500 miles now it's saying 5000 miles - I haven't added any Adblue so I can only think it might be a faulty sensor, although I suspect it would probably read 0 miles or the maximum (whatever that is)...?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Driving style affects the ad blue range just as much as it does the diesel range. The "Range" is a prediction, best guess, call it what you like, based on historical driving. For example, If I tow my boat to the coast, the range will drop rapidly, if I unhitch the boat at the campsite & go for a long run in the van, the range will increase from it's previous "prediction". In your case, the previous owner may have driven short distances in a sporty fashion, so the van will base it's range estimate on his driving style. If you start driving like Miss Daisy for long runs, the range will increase.

Thank you all for the replies. I’m stressing less and when I come to think of it, the previous owner lives in a much hillier area than I do and he would have carried heavy tools and materials. I have stripped out the ply lining and drive it empty.
It jumped up to 5500 today.

Is there a way to find out how much Adblue is in the tank?
I will add some and see what happens.

Thank you all for the replies. I’m stressing less and when I come to think of it, the previous owner lives in a much hillier area than I do and he would have carried heavy tools and materials. I have stripped out the ply lining and drive it empty.

The MFD will tell you what quantity you can put in. IIRC the T6 adblue tank is around 13litre capacity. So deduct what the MFD is asking for for the remaining amount.

The MFD will tell you what quantity you can put in. IIRC the T6 adblue tank is around 13litre capacity. So deduct what the MFD is asking for for the remaining amount.
It does but not immediately. It only starts giving the quantity reading once it’s used a reasonable amount. Can’t remember exactly but it’s a litre or so (or 0.25-0.5 of a gallon).

As said, definitely don’t add any at the moment. That will certainly cause you issues if you overfill it. If it doesn’t start giving you a quantity to fill in another 1000 miles then it’s time to start investigating. Or if it suddenly drops to 600-1500 miles remaining.

Back