Adding Charging Capability??

goldeneye243

T6 Guru
I suspect this already covered somewhere but I couldn't find it..

I decided not to go for electric hook up when I got my van converted as I only needed an off grid camper (and wanted to save the money!) - So I went for a solar panel.

I was then thinking that as I already have one of these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004DV6UXS and a ctek smart charger - Is there any (easy) way that I can use them to charge the leisure battery?

I'm not sure that I need it, but If I am on a site with electric hook up I might as well get full advantage!

Edit - Something like this to connect to the 12V socket?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NOCO-GC003...co+genius&qid=1578495135&s=automotive&sr=1-10

That's all you need, but you are right, you need a simple way of connecting it up to your leisure battery. If you have a standard 12v outlet already connected to your leisure battery, then something like that NOCO lead will work. Better to get the CTek equivalent as you know it will connect properly to your charger.
Also check what fuse you have protecting the 12v outlet - obviously it needs to be greater than the current rating of your Ctek charger.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the respone! Yes I have a 12v socket that I can connect to.

Would it be advisable to connect in this manner whilst there is a load on the leisure battery?

That depends on your Ctek charger. I have a Ctek charger for use when on EHU, but Travelvolts recommended it specifically for this purpose.
What model do you have ?

Pete

Thanks @Dellmassive great post! Thanks also Pete for your help!

Seems like mt current charger might be under powered. I'm tempted by the noco genius5 or genius10.

Any thoughts as to which would be more suitable for charging via the 12v socket?

The reason I like the Victron IP65 charger that I have is that the manufacturer explicitly states that it is suitable as a power supply as well as a charger. When on EHU, that’s what we are using it as when we apply a load to the leisure battery. It’s got Bluetooth too, which helps.

Definitely get a 10A charger whatever you go for.

Pete

Back