Advice needed

SuperSonicJay

Hello,

I currently have 16inch alloys on my T32 and I’m wanting to upgrade to 20inch, is this just a straight swap?

I’ve been told from the alloy manufacturers that it’s just a straight swap, new bolts etc will be supplied.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Welcome to the forum.
You can certainly upgrade to 20" alloys, that's the easy part! But there is more to it than that.
Important things you need to consider - are the wheels that you want load rated for a T32? Obviously the manufacturer or retailer should be able to tell you that.
What offset are the wheels? Again, the retailer should be able to advise.
What width are the wheels? Will they be the correct width for the tyre that you aim to fit? Another one for the retailer.
Finding tyres that are load rated for a T32 isn't too difficult but it does narrow down your choices a little bit. As far as I can remember you need a minimum load rating of 103.
Hours spent on here researching the subject is time well spent.

Have a browse through some of these, some will not be relevant but others will be useful;

Last edited:
Hi @SuperSonicJay welcome to the home of relatively combined wisdom!
It would be good if you could post a picture or two of your van so that the gatheration can give you their best advice, albeit potentially many differing points of view!
We do love pictures though...

Do you know if your new alloys are 'staggered'? They will mention 8.5J or 9 or 10 widths, do you know what you are getting?

These alloys say nothing about being staggered, should I ask the question?

20" Aluwerks XT1​

CONCAVEMedium
RIM SIZE20"
RIM WIDTH8.5"
PCD RANGE5X108-5X120
OFFSET+35
LOAD RATE1000KG

It looks like they are all 8.5J. In which case those 'supplied' tyres are tooo wide. If it's not too late see if they will do you a deal for just the wheels, and source better, more suitable tyres rather than what will probably classed as 'ditchfinders'.
When I first had my van it was fitted with exactly those tyres. 2 cracked rims later I realised the issue! 245/255 with the correct load rating would be my choice on 8.5J's.
35 profile is really too skinny, get some more rubber on those rims!

It looks like they are all 8.5J. In which case those 'supplied' tyres are tooo wide. If it's not too late see if they will do you a deal for just the wheels, and source better, more suitable tyres rather than what will probably classed as 'ditchfinders'.
When I first had my van it was fitted with exactly those tyres. 2 cracked rims later I realised the issue! 245/255 with the correct load rating would be my choice on 8.5J's.
35 profile is really too skinny, get some more rubber on those rims!

Thank you for your help, so you’d advise for 245/255 with 35 or 40?

Thank you for your help, so you’d advise for 245/255 with 35 or 40?
I have Michelin Cross Climate 2 suv's. My front wheels are 8.5J with 245/45, my rears are 10's with 275/40 both on 20's but staggered, wider wheels at the back.
Let's see what Oli @BognorMotors would recommend for those wheels... Really nice guy and certainly knows his stuff!
The bad news is that then you may consider the possibility of a suspension upgrade to make your good looking van handle, in a good looking way...
It's only money! Welcome to potential poverty!

Last edited:
For a bit of added protection to your wheels I'd go down the 40 route, plus it'll add a bit more comfort.
When I ran 20's, mine were 255/40's.

Is the van lowered or are you planning on lowering it?
As @Drive Wayne mentioned, 275's could then cause rubbing issues if lowering is on your list of to do's.

Ok so for an 8.5 wheel you can go 245/45/20. Or a 265/40- which is considered slightly oversize(width wise) but actually works really well- Obviously needs to be a 103 rating.
We can supply complete wheel and tyre packages.

Last edited:
As mentioned earlier 275 is too wide for an 8.5j wheel and (as I found out when I ventured into the world of generic 20” wheel packages) will most likely rub on the front on full lock.
I have 245/45//20 on my front 8.5j rims and they are fine.
Circumference is about 4% larger so the speedo will be affected slightly, but it’s a common tyre size and has readily available choice of 103 tyres for our T32 vans.

Ok so for an 8.5 wheel you can go 245/45/20. Or a 265/40- which is considered slightly oversize(width wise) but actually works really well- Obviously needs to be a 103 rating.
We can supply complete wheel and tyre packages.
Do you supply Twin Monotube Projekt?

Back