Alpicool cr50 problem?

Elsonvan1990

Hi guys,

Who has any experience with a Alpicool CR50 fridge? And what settings have you set it to?

I’m having issues with it staying at my desired temperature. For example if I set the freezer to -18 and it sometimes seems to sit below -20 ( saw it at -28 once and it doesn’t even let you set it that cold! ).

When I set the fridge to 4 or 5 degrees it stays around 7,8 even 9. I have put a thermostat in and it recently read about 5-6 which is good enough for me even if the fridge unit says 8 or 9. However, the temperature did go back up to about 9 on the thermostat.

I’m experimenting with different temperatures to see what happens.

Iv never owned one of these fridges so it would be interesting to know anyone’s experiences.

Any advice or tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I can’t help you but I’ve got the THQ one and I’m confused by exactly the same issue! Also the fact that you can remove the freezer section to make it all fridge but don’t seem to be able to turn the freezer off? Worried this will just make it all freezer :unsure:

I can’t help you but I’ve got the THQ one and I’m confused by exactly the same issue! Also the fact that you can remove the freezer section to make it all fridge but don’t seem to be able to turn the freezer off? Worried this will just make it all freezer :unsure:

From what I know they are all the “same fridges” meant to be LG compressors.

Have you tried a thermostat inside to check the temp?

Yeah I thought the same with the freezer compartment too.

As long as the temp remains around 5 I don’t care what it says on the LED unit, the freezer at below -20 doesn’t bother me either.

From what I know they are all the “same fridges” meant to be LG compressors.

Have you tried a thermostat inside to check the temp?

Yeah I thought the same with the freezer compartment too.

As long as the temp remains around 5 I don’t care what it says on the LED unit, the freezer at below -20 doesn’t bother me either.
No I haven’t done anything other than worry and complain :rofl: … as you said though it seems to work fine and it’s not getting crazy icy in the freezer so maybe the display is just nonsense?

It’s very frustrating, I just spent £370 on it. It’s brand new and I was expecting it to perform better. They told me it was reliable too.

Left it for couple of hours and got back to this.

Picture attached - set to 2 degrees and it says 9. Thermostat says around around 8-9… confusing.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Yea I can’t remember the figures but my freezer goes way past the set temperature! Will have to get a little thermostat to keep an eye on it!

THQ one here and same issue with mine. The temp on the led display is all over the place and also still cant get my head around removing the freezer section but not being able to adjust the temperature to fridge temperatures.

Hopefully one of the company’s or the places that sell these fridges can explain further! Would be good to see if it’s happening to other people.

Is your van parked on level ground @Elsonvan1990 ?
Mine isn't, (camber on road means one side lower than other). I know fridges traditionally don't like being tilted. Could this be a cause?

HEllo @Elsonvan1990 . Just been in touch with Jacksons Leisure, where I got mine from. SPoke to Nick in Technical. He suggested there is a user serviceable chip in the back of the fridge that needs swapping. He has a stok of these from the manufacturer. I suggested it sounds like he has come across this before and he said yes, 4 times. 3 tiems this chip has sorted it, the 4th tme a new control board was needed.
HE has emailed me the instructions and is organising the part to be sent.
Extemely helpful and reassuring. Assured me if this doesnt work can always send back as unrepairable for a refund.
Will let you know how I get on....

HEllo @Elsonvan1990 . Just been in touch with Jacksons Leisure, where I got mine from. SPoke to Nick in Technical. He suggested there is a user serviceable chip in the back of the fridge that needs swapping. He has a stok of these from the manufacturer. I suggested it sounds like he has come across this before and he said yes, 4 times. 3 tiems this chip has sorted it, the 4th tme a new control board was needed.
HE has emailed me the instructions and is organising the part to be sent.
Extemely helpful and reassuring. Assured me if this doesnt work can always send back as unrepairable for a refund.
Will let you know how I get on....
Hey!

Yeah please let me know, I purchased the fridge from another place so if it works let me know and I’ll have to try and get hold of one.

Cheers!

Ove had a rant at Jackson Leisure as despite their technical bloke saying he knew exactly what the fault was and he had the parts, they are now asking what size abd length I'd cable was used to connect it (4mm2 x 1m) abd the voltage I am getting at the back of the fridge.
Bizarrely I have had the fridge running most of the afternoon (on mains hook up charging leisure battery) target temp -12 abd +4 abd it seems to have been pretty stable.

When I turned it on both displays showed +16 (ambient temp in sunny scotland). It seemed to take while to start dropping but eventually the freezer started dropping and the compressor stopped at -12. However fridge stayed at +16.

How ongoing should you wait for fridge to start responding?
I have it an hour. I then removed the freezer partition and left it another 30 mins. When I looked at it was showing -12 and +4. Result. It seems to have lingered around that since. Maybe that's why the freezer can be removed, to allow the cold to 'spread' quicker.

Now that i have put the partition back, the fridge display is more around +6 to +8. However when I point the infrared thermometer at various walls in the fridge it ranges from 0.0 (back wall) to 6.0 on the middle shelf. I will have to put some beers in various locations and see how they turn out

Let's see what tomorrow brings

I've emailed THQ and will see what they say. I bought mine last year and didn't start using the freezer compartment until this year for freezing ice packs. Sometimes they freeze in a couple of hours and sometimes they are still liquid overnight. I did notice when using as a fridge water in the bottom in the mornings as if it was defrosting overnight but just thought it was normal never having had this type of fridge before. More I use it now more I am sure something is wrong with it as temps are all over the place and cant understand how when used fridge only there is no way of turning the freezer section down.

Back