Alternative jack storage locations

Pauly

VCDS User
Admin
Just wondering is anyone has come up with any good ideas for jack relocation
I have removed the rear wheel arch mounting point before carpet lining so looking for a new location, under front seats is rather jammed up with sub/amp/electrics etc so wondering if i can lose it under the rear 2+1 seats or even in the engine bay ??

Before i waste a couple hours of my life poking the jack into every crevice i can find to see if it slots in anywhere thought i would ask the hive

I’ve thought about if it would fit in the engine bay or sealed with the spare wheel somehow….I’ll be keeping a close eye on this thread

I ditched the Original jack in favour of a 3 tonne Bottle jack from Screwfix. I do need a bit of timber to lift the jack up to give me enough to get the wheel off, but considering I have changed a flat tyre three times in the last 30 years, it's of little worry.
The bottle jack is smaller (stowed) than the OEM jack too.
It might fit under your driver's seat, if you have a leisure battery under the passenger seat.IMG20230329172623.jpg

All front seats are full for me thats why im looking elsewhere

No room in with the battery.
IMG20230410134325.jpg
But if you could rig up straps to unter the bonnet...
IMG20230410134334.jpgIMG20230410134405.jpgIMG20230410134407.jpg
Obviously this is just tucked u fee my bonnet bra straps. There are two holes at the front of the bonnet, and the strengthening bar at the rear might be somewhere to secure the jack to?

My rear double seat is currently in the house so thought i would see what space it had underneath

IMG_6669.JPG

Used a bit of cable to see what framework had gaps behind

IMG_6670.JPG

IMG_6671.JPG

Three possibilities i think

1 - Find a way of strapping it in a central location (the jack contact point lines up nicely on the seat metalwork)

IMG_6673.JPG

2 - Carpet the rear main circular tube piece of the frame and strap it to that

IMG_6674.JPG

3 - Straighten out the winder handle and push it into the recess at the front edge of the seat, if i can find a decent way to strap it in place ?

IMG_6672.JPG

Option 3 is nice as the jack is nearly fully recessed in and not in the way at all, the only piece that protrudes slightly is the edge of the contact plate on the far right of the picture but its minimal, this is my preferred option at the moment but obviously i need to be 100% that its firmly and very well secured, rear seat passengers are not going to appreciate a rear kneecap job in the event of an accident, the metalwork of the seat is wrapped around three sides of it, it is just the bottom edge that would be open ??

Just wondering is anyone has come up with any good ideas for jack relocation
I have removed the rear wheel arch mounting point before carpet lining so looking for a new location, under front seats is rather jammed up with sub/amp/electrics etc so wondering if i can lose it under the rear 2+1 seats or even in the engine bay ??

Before i waste a couple hours of my life poking the jack into every crevice i can find to see if it slots in anywhere thought i would ask the hive
Bin the OEM Jack, it’s a liability. Pick up a 5tonne bottle Jack from Aldi or Lidl when they are on special. It comes in a tidy plastic case that will sit in a cupboard or under a seat.

Back