Am I expecting too much??

Try Volvo, they still have some decent feeling and looking cars. Although again, probably not as bomb proof as these made over a decade (or three) ago!

I think it could be said for most brands. It seems like as cars have got heavier they’ve looked for areas to save weight. Don’t get me started on these massive touch screens to replace knobs and dials either they look crap.

I’ve got a 10 year old / 78K miles Audi Q5 that I bought when it was 11 months old and I recently looked at a 6 month old demo in the Swindon main dealer while I was waiting for the van to be serviced. The new one just seemed cheaper and flimsier all round and didn’t drive as well (but it was supposed to be 20PS less!). Although I wasn’t really looking to buy, the experience did persuade me to hold on to the old one until it breaks or I can afford a G Wagen (which probably ain’t gonna happen).

Last edited:
Reactions: CAB
PS.Actually, I could probably afford the Merc at a stretch but couldn’t fill it with juice, insure it or take the loss of blood that the Mrs would cause if I did buy it.

Noted your comments on the T-cross. I think the mk2 just out, is supposed to be better than the mk1 in terms of interior finish.
I'm 4 months into ownership of my 2020 T-cross 1.0 tsi 115. I like the familiar VW cockpit feel but agree the plastic on the inside are poor. We have an annoying squeak from the passenger side A Pillar somewhere and a rattle from the boot, which drives me nuts. Looking at forums it appears a known build quality issue, with lack of insulation in those areas.
Yeah, it's a bit gutless especially with a bike and towbar bike carrier, but I'm getting 55mpg. I have LED headlights and I'd say the seats are comfy so far. I've just done 400 miles to Dover with another 800 in France coming up, so time will tell.
I like the chunky styling and higher driving position over a Polo etc.

Reactions: CAB
Noted your comments on the T-cross. I think the mk2 just out, is supposed to be better than the mk1 in terms of interior finish.
I'm 4 months into ownership of my 2020 T-cross 1.0 tsi 115. I like the familiar VW cockpit feel but agree the plastic on the inside are poor. We have an annoying squeak from the passenger side A Pillar somewhere and a rattle from the boot, which drives me nuts. Looking at forums it appears a known build quality issue, with lack of insulation in those areas.
Yeah, it's a bit gutless especially with a bike and towbar bike carrier, but I'm getting 55mpg. I have LED headlights and I'd say the seats are comfy so far. I've just done 400 miles to Dover with another 800 in France coming up, so time will tell.
I like the chunky styling and higher driving position over a Polo etc.
Yes we really liked the look of the T Cross.....looks like a baby Touareg. I really wanted to like it, looked to be a perfect replacement. That why I was gutted on the build quality.
I had a look at the brand new one in the showroom and the quality did look much improved....but they are not cheap.
Think the plan is to keep our current car for a couple of years and wait for the mk2 model to appear on the second hand market.
It's good to hear your experience with one though. I watched lots of videos on them and they mostly do get good reviews.......that's why I thought it was just me :thumbsdown::speechless:

Try Volvo, they still have some decent feeling and looking cars. Although again, probably not as bomb proof as these made over a decade (or three) ago!
I believe several models are made in China.

Back