Anyone Regretted Fiamma type awning? Or the opposite!

Macsurfer

Hi
I don't like the big box, but for a quick shelter from rain or sun they seem easiest/quickest. Anybody had one and regretted it?
Thanks
Hugh

If doing it again, we would consider not having one, and just going for a railsail / Debus type thing. Getting paranoid over putting it out and having it torn up by a gust of wind.

Although with the Graft suction foot grips we have just bought we are more likely to use it now than before.

I installed my Fiamma 2 years ago and used a special kit so it can easily be unbolted from the van.
It's probably off the van more than it's on (save weight) but when out exploring the Fiamma has proven very useful.

more info:

I liked my F45s and once I started using the front sunshade extra, found it very secure and grounded.
Reminded now that I have this in the garage, must put on ebay !!

20230830_130730.jpg

20220906_133106.jpg

Thanks, are they bad in wind then? (Or just your paranoia lol?)
Hugh
They come with pegs for the feet, but they are a very large surface area.

You can get tie-down kits, recommended in anything other than dead calm weather (and even then, there are plenty of stories, especially abroad, of sudden gusts lifting them up and over, causing expensive damage), essentially a big strap with big pegs, but of course this is a faff and tends to discourage us from putting it out.

I wouldn’t want to leave it fully extended if leaving the van for any significant length of time, or overnight.

Yes water pools in them and will eventually break them if you leave them out flat .
Yes they are susceptible to catching the wind and need to be pegged religiously every time you use them to minimise the chance of getting it wrapped over the top of your van.
We have a huge thule version on our motorhome and use it all the while, we also have a little debus type sail on our bus and find this great and for a lot less money....they are both just as susceptible to wind and heavy rain.

I presume that's the weight of pooling water?
Yeah ... schoolboy error. Astounded at the weight of water they can gather. It snapped the cast alloy elbow on the arm and ripped out the leg from it's housing. Luckily Fiamma do spares for MOST (but not all) of the components. If you you ever need spares some of the European camping shops provide a much better Fiamna service than the UK ones.

We have used the Fiamma f 35 awning on various vehicles over the years. From experience 2 ways to use it , 1 minimal set up and if the weather gets too wet/windy put it away. 2 Full set up which copes well with pretty much any weather up to a named storm by which time we’ve gone off the idea of camping anyway. Full set up includes 3 rafter poles and 2 side rails which join the top and sides and prevents heavy rain pooling. 2 storm straps with peg plates at both front corners and roll up the side and front panels when it gets really windy. The 2 bungee bands over the top just stop the top fabric slapping on the rafter poles at night as we sleep in the roof.IMG_0148.jpeg

Just remember to lower a leg if it's going to rain. From bitter experience it's pretty shit trying to rescue the broken pieces at 3:00 in the morning in the middle a thunderstorm
We also use a rafter pro which domes the centre up and helps to shed water. The rafter fits obliquely under a rib bed for storage. We always use the tie-down straps unless there is no wind. On balance, I like the awning and am glad we have it.

Back