Are BFG K02 really Noisy?

Nickmac21

Hi Everyone, I'm looking at buying the Black rhino Warlord wheels and the BFG tyres but I have heard some say they are noisy, and some say they are fine. Any advice from anyone with experience in these tyres? Thanks.

Screenshot_20240808-204442_Samsung Internet.jpg

Hi, BFG’s are certainly noisier than standard road tyres. You can look up their noise rating on most tyre fitters websites. On the plus side mine have just clocked over 40000 miles and plenty left on them so pretty good for wear. However, they are absolutely terrible on wet tarmac ! but then, that’s not what they are designed for is it?

You can look up their noise rating on most tyre fitters websites
That gives a guide but it’s not always the best way to compare. Continentals are generally high figures on the noise rating yet some models are quieter than say a Hankook with a lower rating. It’s not just the decibels that count but the frequency of the noise from the tread pattern. Varying block sizes helps here. It’s the same principle in train tracks - sleepers at an even spacing for huge lengths create a noisier track than a length where the sleepers are at mixed spacings.
Having said that BFG are blocky tyres, with big gaps, large volume (creates some reverb in the casing) and no clever frequency changes in the design. So they are noisy compared to road tyres.

Had them on my Jeep Rubicon for a while, they were loud and had rubbish grip on road. Swapped for some Cooper Discoverers (ST Maxx) and they were really good, still looked very chunky and much improved handling and MPG. And a lot cheaper.

Jeep.jpg

Rubbish in the wet, bit noisy yeah. I had them in both 16" and 17" and for some reason the 16" were really noisy. General Grabber AT3s are good!

If you want 'the look' then Falcon Wildpeak are an option too

Yeah the Wildpeak AT3WA is a good alternative - not quite as chunky looking but much better on road. I was tempted by the KO2'S but went for the Wildpeak in the end.

I drove back in biblical rain the other day (40mph on the motorway level) and zero issues. No aquaplaning, and I can't detect any extra noise over my old road focussed tyres.

And they're a good bit cheaper too!

Had them on my Jeep Rubicon for a while, they were loud and had rubbish grip on road. Swapped for some Cooper Discoverers (ST Maxx) and they were really good, still looked very chunky and much improved handling and MPG. And a lot cheaper.

View attachment 254437

Thanks, After much deliberation and seeing 50/50 reviews, Good and Bad i have gone for Falken AT3W tyres for my wheel choice, the general opinion of these was good looks and handling. Thanks to everyone who answered and helped my decision. Cheers

Thanks, After much deliberation and seeing 50/50 reviews, Good and Bad i have gone for Falken AT3W tyres for my wheel choice, the general opinion of these was good looks and handling. Thanks to everyone who answered and helped my decision. Cheers
Good choice - they're a good looking tyre too.

1000009907.jpg

Yeah the Wildpeak AT3WA is a good alternative - not quite as chunky looking but much better on road. I was tempted by the KO2'S but went for the Wildpeak in the end.

I drove back in biblical rain the other day (40mph on the motorway level) and zero issues. No aquaplaning, and I can't detect any extra noise over my old road focussed tyres.

And they're a good bit cheaper too!
Hi and thanks for your response, After seeing various responses i have also gone with the Wildpeak, i saw no complaints at all for these and i agree, the KO2's look great but i dont want to pay that money and have issues. Thanks for your help

However, they are absolutely terrible on wet tarmac !

and had rubbish grip on road.

Rubbish in the wet,

I regularly use my T6 4Motion on wet fields, but my Michelin Cross Climates usually get me where I need to go. If it runs out of traction nobody gets hurt, or worse, I just use a more suitable vehicle.
What I can't accept is driving a van with tyres that won't grip sufficiently well on a wet road, which is where many serious and fatal accidents happen.

hi @TallPaul_S ,

Nice tyres / wheels. Filling the arch nicely there. What size is that set up? Is your van lowered? Looking at Wildpeak, but can I squeeze them on my current 18” lowered by 45mm…
Thanks
Marty.
They're 245/65r17 - my van was low, it's now been raised back up

1000010011.jpg

I'd recommend 23565r17 - you'll be fine lowered by 50mm, they shouldn't rub and they're only slightly smaller than 245/65 size.

If you're looking at 18" then I think 255/55 is the same size as 235/65 on 17" - or 235/55 in 18" is smaller.

Last edited:
That looks great. Don’t think I can buy another set of alloys back to 17”.
Like you, I don’t want the black van with the black alloys. But the gold looks good.

What wear do you expect to get out of the Wildpeaks. Only got 13k out of my 18” Bridgestone Touranza. Feel a bit hard done by.
Do you think the Falkens will do greater mileage, although a softer tyre?

That looks great. Don’t think I can buy another set of alloys back to 17”.
Like you, I don’t want the black van with the black alloys. But the gold looks good.

What wear do you expect to get out of the Wildpeaks. Only got 13k out of my 18” Bridgestone Touranza. Feel a bit hard done by.
I'd hope to get 20 or 30k at least, they're nice and deep on the tread!

That was my thinking, big deep tread…. Hmmmm.
Yeah, just measured - they've got nearly 9mm of tread! Minus the 1.6mm TWI, and obviously you won't been rubbing these down to the limit.

I only do 5-6k a year tops so these should last 5 years!

Awww man, you have me thinking now…
Gold wheels and Wildpeaks…or stick with 18” and normal road tyres. All about the money…

Last edited:
Back