Benefit to battery under passenger seat

I went under the passenger seat. Wanted the space under the drivers seat for air out let for heater. I did mount the DC-DC under there though. Dead easy cable run through the bulkhead grommet
View attachment 224621
Looks like the Renogy Smart to me.

BT comes from a separate dongle. This one comes with a plug in shelf mode switch.... They also done a heater version.

Cheers dell, ordered the new one with all built in about a week ago but it’s on pre order for release on the 26/06/24, just wondered about laying on its side as the one above is - Renogy say avoid if you can but “shouldn’t do it any harm”, as I couldn’t find any specific data on the new one. I know you can, but depending on the cell structure etc. can reduce life/performance with some.

Cheers dell, ordered the new one with all built in about a week ago but it’s on pre order for release on the 26/06/24, just wondered about laying on its side as the one above is - Renogy say avoid if you can but “shouldn’t do it any harm”, as I couldn’t find any specific data on the new one. I know you can, but depending on the cell structure etc. can reduce life/performance with some.
It's normally to do with the BMS position inside.

The cells are happy any way around.

And the BMS with heatsink is normally at the top.... Heat rises obviously, so they probably just mentioning that upright is the best position.

Got an pic and links to the one your getting?

Renogy are constantly updating the range

I've had a couple of the smart range, And the original BT Inc version.

But I've not tried any of the core or pro range yet.

Hi Mat, is this the new release version Renogy with Bluetooth bms and inbuilt heating? Cheers, Steve.
No it's a couple of years old now. The bluetooth plugs in but BMS etc were built in. Had it on its side for about 4 months before I upgraded to a seatbase battery with no issues. Still using it now in my Portapack

Hi
I've bought a leisure battery and split charge relay from Rayne Automotive, but as a first timer I'm having difficulty fitting in under the drivers seat. My basic question is which side does to relay go? (i.e. facing the cab or facing the back of the van)

And should it sit on the floor, or should I build a platform? Its so tight and I don't like the idea of the battery sitting on the cables under the mat.

Any help and advice from someone who has done it would be really appreciated.
D

Depending upon the type of battery you can sit it upright or lay it on its side. Doesn't matter which way the relay faces. The battery should be secured with a strap / clamp so it can't move about. Maybe screw the relay to the side of the seat base.

On another note, if you have a T6 or T6.1 then using a relay is a no no as your leisure battery won't charge properly. You need a DC-DC charger

Thank you for your reply. I have now managed to squeeze it it, but its very tight. I have the correct DC to DC charger.

Thank you for your reply. I have now managed to squeeze it it, but its very tight. I have the correct DC to DC charger.
Make sure the terminals are shielded to prevent short circuits. Also worth posting a pic so you get a free double check.

That's really kind. Yes, that terminals will be shielded. I have now reinstalled the drivers seat, so a photo will be difficult (should have taken one, but it was such a nightmare I was just glad to put it back), but I have run the cables sympathetically and secured.

I did read that a battery could be installed on its side, but I guess that's a lithium unit, rather than lead acid?

The basic layout is battery to the back (facing the load area) relay to the front, screwed to a board fixed to the seat. All cables running around the side.

Generally Lead Acid can't be in the side as the electrolyte is liquid acid and mist cover the plates. The exception tends to be gel and AGM variants, but only if the manufacturer says it can be as they know the internal construction.

Many lithium can be as the electrolyte is a paste but there are exceptions where it would stop the BMS cooling or similar.

So the general rule is lead acid no lithium yes, but always check with the manufacturer or tech docs are there exceptions in both.

Back