Blackening up my bumper protector

Sorry to restart an old post but I've been trying to find the info on the forum with no luck...
How do remove the OEM bumper protector? Is it glued/taped or fixed with hidden fastenings? Thank you.

When our van was detailed in December,ours was done with Feynlab Plastic and still looks pretty good now although its filthy at the minute! I looked the stuff up because i couldnt believe how good all the plastics on the van looked and if i remember rightly,it wasnt cheap by any means but it is really good

The carbon ones look good, imo, and will be lacquered, so should stay, looking good, with a bit of ‘spit and polish’

Thank you guys, so hopefully I won't wreck the paintwork trying to get it off. Just need to find something we like to replace it with.
It will not come off easily. The genuine kit uses 3m vhb tape with a seperate adhesion promoter.

Bought and fitted a black rear bumper protector the other year which looks great.
However, given various weather conditions it now appears to have become more of a grey colour.
Any suggestions for restoring it to its original black condition please?

A good clean, dry and mask-up around it! Then spray with satin or Matt black. I did a secondhand one acouple of years ago and it still looks new. Also encouraged me to try painting the bike rack!

DB622FB7-FC2F-45DF-A0E6-FB4CCF87C3B6.jpeg

Last edited:
I've got the same problem with a 1 year old dealer-fitted protector. Tyre dressing didn't work, so I'm now thinking of using Owatrol - Black trim restorer.

@Molldog @Bav - I always use Marine Polytrol (Owatrol) to keep the gelcoat on my dinghies looking good and I found out years ago that it is also great for restoring faded plastics to "as new" condition. A 5 minute job to sort a bumper protector - if that!

That said, my Wanderway bike rack is now begging for the all-black @JOG treatment!

Some photos received from my father-in-law after I introduced him to Marine Polytrol:-

Screenshot_20240531_231302_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20240531_231322_WhatsApp.jpg

@Molldog @Bav - I always use Marine Polytrol (Owatrol) to keep the gelcoat on my dinghies looking good and I found out years ago that it is also great for restoring faded plastics to "as new" condition. A 5 minute job to sort a bumper protector - if that!

That said, my Wanderway bike rack is now begging for the all-black @JOG treatment!
Thanks. Seen it used on YT channel "Chops Garage"

I bought one of these in October ‘19.
I then read the instructions and had to wait until around April ‘20 for the weather to be warm enough to fit it.
But, 4 years later, the only ‘grey’ bit is where I bashed it with an overly heavy firewood log.
The rest is as new.
The only attention it’s had is normal washing;
(And my Kombi is Deep Pearl Black)

A lady at work who’s husband work at a bodyshop told me to use peanut oil - did it on my wife’s Corsa years ago (that had car polish stains) and worked a treat - but avoid anywhere with bears :)

It’s a protector, unless you buy and fit a protector protector it’s going to wear. The whole point of fitting one in the first place.

Gtechniq C4 -20201112_121657.jpg
'Meant' to last forever but it doesn't in reality wants doing every 2 years .
A very small bottle goes a long way (which is good cuz it aint cheap) did both bumpers (commercial) on just under half a bottle.

Last edited:
Back