Blue smoke out of exhaust at 2-3000rpm

lunno

Hi all,

Just noticed some blue smoke at 2500 revs. Van had been sat idle for a few days and it was only on a 10 minute drive. Oil level seems fine. Could this be just to a couple of high revs when setting off and it needs a good run out?

Got a big trip coming up next week so feel a bit anxious about engine issues.

It's 2016 t6 TDI 102.

Thanks very much in advance

David

Blue smoke is normally related to engine oil burning.

Does the van use a lot of oil?

Is the dpf and adblue system still intact?

Blue smoke is normally related to engine oil burning.

Does the van use a lot of oil?

Is the dpf and adblue system still intact?
Thanks.

No not really need to top up the oil at all. Dpf system is intact, there is no ad blue system.

Could it be due to being stood idle for a while?

Get a compression test done twice. Mine is not using any oil or hardly any and hasn't lost any power but had a habit of puffing out abit of smoke on set off. First test was decent pressures so we thought it was injectors failing but when he redid the test it failed miserably. The oil residue in the boar had created a seal to give a good pressure reading. Also worth a mention is the pcv valve can cause blue smoke if its knackered. I'll look at this first as it's cheap and easy to do urself.

Sounds like hardened valve seals. Never replaced them on a T6 with the head in place but most auto engines it’s possible.
very possible that,

a small puff of blue smoke after sitting at the lights for a short while - was a sure sign/inication.

lost count of how many i done on old for ecotec engines . . . along with the hydraulic tappets.
++++

and the Valve Stem Seals wouldn't show up on a compression test,

but would show up as med/high oil usage.

or could be seem with a borescope when looking at the back of the exhaust valves.

+++

can you get a video clip of it?

and post a link to that here?

Thanks for replies! Are these a big job to get fixed, timewise?- Just conscious of going away soon.

I will get a video clip tonight and post on here.

Thanks for replies! Are these a big job to get fixed, timewise?- Just conscious of going away soon.

I will get a video clip tonight and post on here.
I guess the question is; can this wait until after your trip if it’s not using a lot of oil? What impact does putting miles on it now have with these possible issues?

I guess the question is; can this wait until after your trip if it’s not using a lot of oil? What impact does putting miles on it now have with these possible issues?
That is what I was wondering, if its not going cause me to break down or damage the engine then I would be happy to wait a few weeks.

i wouldn't be too concerned about a small puff,

but best thing to do is run it passed a local VW indy and ask then to take a quick look,

and see if they offer any advice.

(2016 so well out of warranty, so a main dealer wont be much help. as they just like fitting new engines)

id imagine it may ok to go on your trip, and have it looked at afterwards along with its next service.

+++++

if its anything to do with valve stems, then its a top half strip to get to the head and valves, so a full day job plus just in labour times

if low compression from bores, then thats a different story. - labour wise.

Great thank you, will still post a video later. We do have some warranty on the engine with warrantywise so will contact them when we come back from the trip!

As always replies are very much appreciated .

It seemed like a one off event so haven't got it checked. I couldn't replicate it when I tried to film it.

We just got back from two weeks away in the van and didn't notice anything so assumed it might have been something of a one off?? I hope.

Back