Booking.com scammer seen off.....

Sackmycook

Ex-owner
T6 Legend
Continuing the theme of scammers and scheisters.....

We run a modest Shepherds Hut and Cottage in Northumberland and consider ourselves responsible and caring accommodation providers. But there are so many shits out there who will try and have you over.
Had a 2 night booking at the Hut recently by a chap and his partner. A few day before arrival they started enquiring about extra days outside of the original booking, by text message to Mrs SMC. Fine, she said. Invited to pay by bank transfer, he declined and said he would pay cash on arrival. Alarm activated !
A few days later, they arrived and get shown around as normal and left to start their 2 nights. Notice no luggage, shopping or personal items.
Next morning as I'm out walking the dogs, they drive out of the parking area. No chat, wave or acknowledgement.
Strange I thought. Anyway, no sign of them anymore that day, until we get a message from him saying that 'owing to a family emergency' they have had to leave early. Text back with usual expression of concern and best wishes, no problem.
Next day, we get a message requesting a refund for the 2nd day of their booking !!
Direct them to Booking.com, as usual, and otherwise their travel insurance as we have already lost the chance to re-let the 2nd day, and had already blocked out days 3 and 4 for them.
I'm thinking they only wanted a one night stay, which we don't do and we're trying to take advantage of our good nature.
So after telling him to talk to Booking.com, they've obviously been told they're not entitled to a refund, they leave a stinking Booking.com review of 1.0, our average is 9.6......the review makes many false accusations, some quite personal.

So, if anyone knows the Executive Head Chef at the Mercure Bolton Georgian House Hotel, Preston Road, Bolton give him my kind regards ;)

Last edited:

We run a modest Shepherds Hut and Cottage in Northumberland and consider ourselves responsible and caring accommodation providers. But there are so many shits out there who will try and have you over.
Had a 2 night booking at the Hut recently by a chap and his partner. A few day before arrival they started enquiring about extra days outside of the original booking, by text message to Mrs SMC. Fine, she said. Invited to pay by bank transfer, he declined and said he would pay cash on arrival. Alarm activated !
A few days later, they arrived and get shown around as normal and left to start their 2 nights. Notice no luggage, shopping or personal items.
Next morning as I'm out walking the dogs, they drive out of the parking area. No chat, wave or acknowledgement.
Strange I thought. Anyway, no sign of them anymore that day, until we get a message from him saying that 'owing to a family emergency' they have had to leave early. Text back with usual expression of concern and best wishes, no problem.
Next day, we get a message requesting a refund for the 2nd day of their booking !!
Direct them to Booking.com, as usual, and otherwise their travel insurance as we have already lost the chance to re-let the 2nd day, and had already blocked out days 3 and 4 for them.
I'm thinking they only wanted a one night stay, which we don't do and we're trying to take advantage of our good nature.
So after telling him to talk to Booking.com, they've obviously been told they're not entitled to a refund, they leave a stinking Booking.com review of 1.0, our average is 9.6......the review makes many false accusations, some quite personal.

So, if anyone knows the Executive Head Chef at the Mercure Bolton Georgian House Hotel, Preston Road, Bolton give him my kind regards ;)
What a w@nker

Do you get the opportunity to reply to such comments on booking.coms website like you can on TrussPillock? Fortunately you have excellent feedback and folk should take it with a pinch of salt. Very upsetting though...

You can on Booking.com if they leave a comment, yes. Booking.com say they will remove the review in due course as it breaches their privacy policy as it names Mrs SMC and me in person. Takes a week at least though.
Mrs SMC has taken it worse than me, I've had a lot worse thrown at me, but from someone who also works in hospitality, its especially galling as he clearly knows reviews can matter.

You can on Booking.com if they leave a comment, yes. Booking.com say they will remove the review in due course as it breaches their privacy policy as it names Mrs SMC and me in person. Takes a week at least though.
Mrs SMC has taken it worse than me, I've had a lot worse thrown at me, but from someone who also works in hospitality, its especially galling as he clearly knows reviews can matter.
Should arrange a group meet so we could all go dine at the mercure eat half our meals and send them all back and refuse to pay.
Then leave reviews of how bad the chef is.

I would be pushing them to remove that pronto especially if it breaches their PP.
3 clicks of a mouse? Have a stronger word! I've been told you're far too pleasant!

Theres plenty of chancers out there . Booking are a nightmare, they are painfully slow to sort stuff out .
Keep on at them.

What a knobhead. As said above sounds like you need to keep on at booking.com to get it removed. Hate to think some selfish arse would put others off a booking for you. Let's hope they get it deleted asap.
Reminds me of a checkatrade story from my plumber mate.
He had a call from a lady asking him to price a bathroom for her. He said "of course, but I am very busy and do have a few weeks booked ahead" She said she must have it done the following week??... so he declined.
She then left an awful review on checkatrade calling him a time waster and a rude person etc (he really isn't either of them things)
He contacted checkatrade to get it removed and they said "No".....it's a fair representation of somebody's experience with him?? Obviously he wasn't happy as she wasn't a customer he ever worked for just some cranky old git on the phone making an enquiry.... now having a strop because she wasn't getting her own way.
They wouldn't remove it so he cancelled his membership with checkatrade there and then.......he doesnt regret it, busier than ever and now saving the fees.....crazy people out there!!

Back