Buying T6 - Asked To Pay In Advance?

jacquesy

Hi,

About to buy a T6, and the dealer has requested I pay via bank transfer 48 hours in advance, so they can clear a 'stocking loan' on the van before I drive it away.

Does anyone if thats standard practise, or an acceptable way of doing business?

I've never spent this much cash on a van before, and the last time I brought a car I'm pretty sure I just used a bank card to transfer money straight from the account.

Has anyone had any experience of this previously?

Thanks in advance!

I wouldn’t pay them a penny until you have the vehicle
There are far to many instances of vans being ordered wrong or arriving with the wrong spec or options missing or damage etc etc
Before you pay any problems are there’s to sort out but as soon as you hand over money any probs or issues become warranty claims and are much harder to resolve and often involve lots of tooing and froing to get sorted !!

I wouldn’t pay them a penny until you have the vehicle
There are far to many instances of vans being ordered wrong or arriving with the wrong spec or options missing or damage etc etc
Before you pay any problems are there’s to sort out but as soon as you hand over money any probs or issues become warranty claims and are much harder to resolve and often involve lots of tooing and froing to get sorted !!

Yeah thats a good point, I hadn't considered what happens if it's damaged in between me paying and then taking ownership of the vehicle! Or even them claiming the damage only happened after I'd made the payment.

Thanks for your thoughts. Much appreciated!

They should pay off the stocking loan once you have paid, so it can wait until you are there to pay and collect. But it does mean if you hpi first it will show as having finance on it in the traders name which is perhaps why they want you to pay first so can show it's clear for you. Especially if you are collecting on a weekend when the finance co might be closed?
I would pay when you collect, and maybe see if you can watch them pay it off online while you are there to confirm it has been paid.

They should pay off the stocking loan once you have paid, so it can wait until you are there to pay and collect. But it does mean if you hpi first it will show as having finance on it in the traders name which is perhaps why they want you to pay first so can show it's clear for you. Especially if you are collecting on a weekend when the finance co might be closed?
I would pay when you collect, and maybe see if you can watch them pay it off online while you are there to confirm it has been paid.

I guess that could be the reasoning behind it. A HPI check shows as finance still being in place, my current thinking is to ask for a written guarantee that this will be cleared once payment has gone through, and then for a follow up HPI check to be forwarded on once it's cleared. As yep - it'll be a weekend collection.

Does that offer additional protection then? Any particular amount or percentage I should consider putting on a credit card?
Paying via credit card gives you section 75 protection on single item purchases over £100 and less than £30,000 and would cover you for a full refund should the fan collide with the poop. Just 1 penny paid on a card would give you protection though a retailer might well insist on a higher minimum payment.

The loan has to be cleared first, by them. Technically it’s not there’s to sell until the loan is cleared. Pay on collection. The stocking loan can be cleared by a press of a button anyway.

Enjoy your new van.

Hi,

About to buy a T6, and the dealer has requested I pay via bank transfer 48 hours in advance, so they can clear a 'stocking loan' on the van before I drive it away.

Does anyone if thats standard practise, or an acceptable way of doing business?

I've never spent this much cash on a van before, and the last time I brought a car I'm pretty sure I just used a bank card to transfer money straight from the account.

Has anyone had any experience of this previously?

Thanks in advance!
I checked every inch of my van before they even taxed it as I told them if there was any damage I would not take the van and want my £1000 deposit back. I was happy with the van they taxed it and paid final deposit all this on the morning of collection.

I couldn't bring myself to pay for my van via bank transfer 24 hours before collection from the supplying VW dealer, and that had nothing to do with any stocking finance.

I paid by debit card when I picked it up.

The card payment was declined at the Visa machine due to it being over £30,000.

I quick phone call to the banks number on the back of the refusal slip got the transaction authorised after a couple of security questions.

Good luck.

Examine the goods and THEN pay. I went to collect a new Volvo V70 some years ago and it got through PDI with a big scratch. The dealer missed it, I didn't! I rejected the vehicle and because they had registered it in my name I got an additional hefty discount and three years free servicing and a flawless cosmetic repair. Paying up front sounds highly suspicious! I wouldn't do it! Whatever their financial conditions are, they are not yours! The world is full of cars - even VWs!! If you are not happy, walk away.
Take care

Last edited:
Back