Can I leave my Kombi floor in place when fitting units?

dss123

Hey...

I'm looking to fit some interior units into my T6 Kombi. Not a full interior.. just some side benches that fold into a bed.

I'd like a "non-permanent" fit using the lashing points.

Question is... is it acceptable to place such units straight onto the rubber floor? My fear is that it is quite "squishy" and might not provide a solid base. and the units might cut into the floor over time.

I'd rather not remove the rubber floor and do the whole batten / ply lining thing. Been down that rode with my T5 and would rather not repeat the exercise.

Or can one put a ply floor on TOP of the rubber floor... something with cut-outs for the Kombi Seat and lashing points?

Cheers

Dunc

Hey...

I'm looking to fit some interior units into my T6 Kombi. Not a full interior.. just some side benches that fold into a bed.

I'd like a "non-permanent" fit using the lashing points.

Question is... is it acceptable to place such units straight onto the rubber floor? My fear is that it is quite "squishy" and might not provide a solid base. and the units might cut into the floor over time.

I'd rather not remove the rubber floor and do the whole batten / ply lining thing. Been down that rode with my T5 and would rather not repeat the exercise.

Or can one put a ply floor on TOP of the rubber floor... something with cut-outs for the Kombi Seat and lashing points?

Cheers

Dunc
I have van furniture's kombi units that pull out to make a bed in my van installed on top of the mat, no issue with them cutting into the mat or that squishy feel, they are very stable. If i need to use the van as a van I can whip them out no problem

Some carpet underneath, a couple of strips layered? should absorb any vibrations/shocks?

I have van furniture's kombi units that pull out to make a bed in my van installed on top of the mat, no issue with them cutting into the mat or that squishy feel, they are very stable. If i need to use the van as a van I can whip them out no problem
Thanks Jim.... Good to know that it's worked for you.

You can definitely do this! Because that is what I have!
Well there are cut outs for the seat fixings and the lashing point are replaced and bolt through the ply.
The advantage of keeping the rubber underneath is that is provides an excellent custom moulded insulating layer.
Mine is from The Ply Guys and they fit loads like this.
You can see their 'Urlar' van ply flooring and pics here: https://www.theplyguys.co.uk/product-page/urlar-van-floor-system

Well there are cut outs for the seat fixings and the lashing point are replaced and bolt through the ply.
The advantage of keeping the rubber underneath is that is provides an excellent custom moulded insulating layer.
You can see their 'Urlar' van ply flooring and pics here: https://www.theplyguys.co.uk/product-page/urlar-van-floor-system
Ah - this looks the business!

Thanks very much. Just what I'm after I think :)

The only fly in the ointment is they are collection only...... and they're in Scotland!

The only fly in the ointment is they are collection only...... and they're in Scotland!
Ah indeed… they’re only about 10 mins away from me :)
If it’s really what you want then just plan ahead and make the trip up (and combine it with eg a camping holiday)…?

Ah indeed… they’re only about 10 mins away from me :)
If it’s really what you want then just plan ahead and make the trip up (and combine it with eg a camping holiday)…?
Another trip to Scotland is defo on the cards. Did a wicked trip to Tiree when we weren't allowed to travel overseas a few years back. Paradise. we even had sun for the whole week!

I have this same flooring and an install by the ply guys in my SWB T6 Kombi. It’s fantastic.

I drove up from Swindon, camped locally the night before going to the ply guys. I was at the workshop as they opened the next morning. Everything was installed before close of play.

Last edited:
Back