floor track for motorcycle tie down

ogrodz

Hi - I am new to this forum and new to T6 ownership. I have a LWB 4Motion Kombi highline 2018 and I want to install an E-track in the rear - up the centre of the van - to allow a tie down point in the centre of the van when carrying two motorbikes. I would like to do this so that the E-track is cut into the rubber padded floor mat. The lashing grille will then be flush with the top of the mat. This is not my main concern however, although cutting a long hole in the mat requires a deep intake of breath! Rather it is the various "gotchas" that present when attempting to drill the various holes to bolt the E-track down securely. I assume the spare wheel, a variety of pipes/cables, the 4wd mechanism, the diesel tank all potentially are in my firing line!

Is there an engineers diagram of my vehicle anywhere that I can refer to? Also any advice, been there done it before comments, recommendations gratefully received!

Thanks in advance!

My thoughts would be don't drill through the floor. Mine has loads of damage from the ply lining where it's peppered with self tapper holes. I've a mate that races some classic bikes. When we've discussed using my van to take them places, my favourite idea is to use a wheel chock, the one with the channel that rocks over when you push the wheel into it, mounted on the rear seat floor mounts and then push the back wheel into it. This stops the bike rocking and moving forwards under braking. With it being the rear wheel, the bike can't fall over. Now you just need to pull the front end into compression a bit.

Thanks for the suggestion which would work great for light bikes. However, two of my bikes are heavy (over 200kg) - so they have to go in front first as I use the engine to get them up the ramp.

VanHaven recently completed a couple of builds (one for MotoLegends) where they used the same E-track inset into the rubber padded floor mat. I agree with your thinking about drilling into the floor - it rings alarm bells - but there must be a way!

Anyone done this?

How far forwards do you need to get them? You could put some flat bar or box sideways between the front pairs of tie downs with something running forwards up the middle. Only downside to this is having to roll the front wheel over a lump although you could bury it in the mat.

That's a great idea! Three sufficiently thick pieces of flat bar would probably work brilliantly and be hidden under the mat allowing me to sink the E-track into the mat! I will engage my brain on this over the weekend and report back!

Another option albeit slightly crude and agricultural is to remove both front tie downs and the rear most tie downs, get some spacers made up then bolt a length of Unistrut across both and one length down the middle. You need heavy grade Unistrut to stop it flexing but it takes minutes to fit over the top of your existing flooring, is totally adjustable/removable, and if you use eyelets with a 10mm thread fitted into the Unistrut they can go anywhere along the rails.

So, I procured some square tube from B&Q and set to work to see if I could install an E-track into the rubber padded floor mat.

Here is the process:-

1. Roll the floor mat back to understand the floor pan

IMG_1466.jpeg

2. Cut in a slot for the square tube at the rear and bolt in the square tube to the tie down points using M10 50mm bolts

IMG_1469.jpeg

IMG_1468.jpeg

3. Cut in a slot for the E-track

IMG_1471.jpeg

4. Cut in a second slot mid way and bolt in the square tube to the tie down points using M10 50mm bolts

IMG_1479.jpeg

5. Position the E-track under the square tube midway and rear and mark where the square tube crosses over the E-track

IMG_1477.jpeg

6. Cut slots into the E-track with a grinder, then flatten down the areas cut to allow the square tube to slot in

IMG_1483.jpeg

IMG_1482.jpeg

IMG_1485.jpeg

IMG_1484.jpeg

7. Cut undersides of plastic tie down covers to allow to fit over the square bar in the 4 tie down sites

IMG_1486.jpeg

8. Install the E-track under the rubber mat. Drill 10mm holes in the cross bars and the E-track where both intersect and connect with M10 30mm bolts and locking nuts. Fit all together with E-track accessories

IMG_1488.jpeg

9. Put Kombi seats back and voila, job done!

IMG_1493.jpeg

Not as pretty as I would like, but functional - allowing flexible centre tie down points when transporting two motorbikes.

Hope this is helpful to others. I am sure this install could be improved to get a better finish.

Looks OK to me. I did wonder if the mat would stay down around the cut edges but it looks fairly flush. Is it just sitting there under its own weight?
Have you considered using the rear (3rd row) seat belt attachment points for additional tie down rings?
I only transport a Trial bike which is a lot lighter but also shorter than what you are dealing with so I can keep the middle row of seats in. This makes it a lot easier to secure!

Last edited:
Looks OK to me. I did wonder if the mat would stay down around the cut edges but it looks fairly flush. Is it just sitting there under its own weight?
Have you considered using the rear seat belt attachment points for additional tie down rings?
I only transport a Trial bike which is a lot lighter but also shorter than what you are dealing with so I can keep the middle row of seats in. This makes it a lot easier to secure!
I cut the foam at an angle where the mat meets the E-track so that it lies flat. I am considering sticking it down with carpet glue but this probably won’t be necessary and I like the convenience of being able to easily remove the rubber mat if needed.

Good idea re seat belt attachment points.

A lighter bike is on my radar. I test rode a GasGas E700 last week which was great. I am going to see if it is loadable with the Kombi seats in place. What trial bike have you got?

A Vertigo R3 300 which, at 68 kg doesn't even need a ramp!!
Its way more bike than I need as I only started riding trials last September and that was after about 6 months with a KTM 690 Enduro. I think that the KTM would just about fit diagonally with the seats in but it would require a lot of manhandling in the van to position it. I think taking the seats out would be less hassle! That bike was my midlife crisis purchase after 14 years away from bikes but I soon discovered that I preferred the off road elements of riding.

1000007618.jpg

Last edited:
A Vertigo R3 300 which, at 68 kg doesn't even need s ramp!!
Its way more bike than I need as I only started riding trials last September and that was after about 6 months with a KTM 690 Enduro. I think that the KTM would just about fit diagonally with the seats in but it would require a lot of manhandling in the van to position it. I think taking the seats out would be less hassle! That bike was my midlife crisis purchase after 14 years away from bikes but I soon discovered that I preferred the off road elements of riding.

View attachment 239928
Nice! 68kg is very light!

I too prefer off road riding. On road is mainly defensive riding these days although the idea of “adventure” appeals.

A light bike is definitely the way forward. The GasGas weighs in at around 150kg and has 74hp. There are a number of 400cc bikes coming onto the market soon so hopefully the choice will improve.

Back