Carpet Lining - How hard actually is it?

T6ChrisO

AutoCAD engineer
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Im almost at the stage where im ready to buy ply panels and carpet line the van BUT it begs the question.......

Is it really a DIY job or should it be left to the professionals? Im on a really tight budget at the minute so its obviously cheaper to do it myself but is it a difficult task? Has anyone tried and failed? There cant be just success stories surely :think smile bounce:

Good advice on the clips! 'Easier than you think' was the answers im waiting on ha ha

I recently completed carpet lining after watching every youtube vid I could find from first timers to experienced companies......I found combe valley campers vids were (for me) the best ones to follow. I made the odd error but easily recoverable and generally was easier than I thought it would be.

I recently completed carpet lining after watching every youtube vid I could find from first timers to experienced companies......I found combe valley campers vids were (for me) the best ones to follow. I made the odd error but easily recoverable and generally was easier than I thought it would be.
This is good, this is what I want to hear!

There's no doubt it's stressful the first time you do it, I was panicking that the glue was going to dry too much because I was slow but it doesn't, you really can take your time, there's no rush. Once you have done one side you'll be flying, my second side was almost twice as fast. Only other comment is make sure you get good quality carpet, I bought an additional piece from a different supplier for the rear side panel because I'd ran out and it was nowhere near as nice as the carpet from Kiravans. Slightly different colour as well but it's mainly hidden behind the furniture so it was no big deal in the end. good luck

There's no doubt it's stressful the first time you do it, I was panicking that the glue was going to dry too much because I was slow but it doesn't, you really can take your time, there's no rush. Once you have done one side you'll be flying, my second side was almost twice as fast. Only other comment is make sure you get good quality carpet, I bought an additional piece from a different supplier for the rear side panel because I'd ran out and it was nowhere near as nice as the carpet from Kiravans. Slightly different colour as well but it's mainly hidden behind the furniture so it was no big deal in the end. good luck
Kiravans was my go to should I attempt it myself!

I suppose a good idea would be to start on the kitchen side and learn the arts on the sections that will be mostly hidden!

Chris

I’ve done two now. Best advice I can give is to start with a panel or two to get a feel for the adhesive grab before approaching the long interior runs. There’s a great vid by Kiravans somewhere.

Easy but a small amount of swearing sneaks in.

Good point about the colours.....I stuck to getting mine from Harrisons (which comes with the glue in a bundle) mainly because I bought a set of vanshades window pods about 6 months before which use Harrisons carpet. I even found that as my carpet bundle from Harrisons was the same colour as the pods, it was very slightly a different shade due being bought so far apart and maybe a different batch. Also, carpeting the ply panels is a joy and very satisfying after (or before) doing the main carpeting.....I did a few to practice using the glue etc before taking on the inside.

Last edited:
Just take your time. The sides are the worst but use some market tarp clips to hold it in place. Make sure you degrease everything 1st and use the proper high temp adhesive. Sharp blades too.
It’s easier than you think. Good luck!
Absolutely agree here. It’s all about patience and thinking everything through before you commit to cutting.

I have done all of my van and as much as it’s a daunting task it’s fairly simple.

My advise don’t buy cheap glue, it unsticks and you are back to square one. Also when you spray the glue on both surfaces wait until it dries and only then bring the surfaces together.

Good luck with it. You can do this !!!

Im almost at the stage where im ready to buy ply panels and carpet line the van BUT it begs the question.......

Is it really a DIY job or should it be left to the professionals? Im on a really tight budget at the minute so its obviously cheaper to do it myself but is it a difficult task? Has anyone tried and failed? There cant be just success stories surely :think smile bounce:
It is a DIY job. All good advice above & watch the vids too. Be careful with the "nap" as our 4 way silver stretch from Harrisons looked different when turned the other way around - hope that made sense. In other words check to see if the carpet has a "nap" and if so keep it going the same way otherwise you may get an annoying variation of shade.

Reactions: CJW
We did ours ourselves, as previously said do the ply panels first. They are flat and give you a good feeling for the carpet and the glue.

Then start at the top front on one side and work all the way along. We did the top rail first on the flat, then under, then the top half of the window panel part, then bottom half of window panels moving downwards slowly.
Watch the kiravans and coombe valley videos to give you a good inside to it.

We have seen DIYers do professional jobs and I've also seen it stuck on backwards
I'd say it's a little bit like wallpapering, or at least if your good at doing this then you stand a chance of it going well.
Prep is key too. Empty van, bulkhead fitting frame removed, B pillors removed, paint work preped and degrease, door seals removed and any holes in body not being used, cover in tape to stop dirt staining from air circulation.

We have seen DIYers do professional jobs and I've also seen it stuck on backwards
I'd say it's a little bit like wallpapering, or at least if your good at doing this then you stand a chance of it going well.
Prep is key too. Empty van, bulkhead fitting frame removed, B pillors removed, paint work preped and degrease, door seals removed and any holes in body not being used, cover in tape to stop dirt staining from air circulation.
Well I can wallpaper so maybe I stand a chance. I still need to call by once its insured and collect the ply lining and floor

I took my van to you to convert because of the neatness of the carpet lining on the wheel arches and I knew they'd be exposed as I had no furniture, so very noticeable. :)

It was easy but horrible. Just due to the bulk of the carpet in one massive piece.
I got myself set up and drew a straight line in sharpie on the INSIDE face of the carpet near the top then I sprayed the top metal frame and the carpet along the drawn line. It’s easy to go offline with such a big piece. Then I attached that top edge keeping the line along the top. It just ensures that you don’t end up with it out of square.
As you go along the roof line sticking it on be careful not to stretch it.
Then I just got underneath it with my glue can and began working my way down from the top. Press it onto the flat areas of the van-don’t be tempted to pull it-it stretches easily and you’ll end up with excess carpet very quickly in corners and edges. It doesn’t shrink back easily.
Use the stretch feature to get into all the nooks and crannies and window edges and stuff.
Hope that makes sense.
That’s how I did it. But I’ve not watched any of the videos so I might be way off what’s best lol.

It was easy but horrible. Just due to the bulk of the carpet in one massive piece.
I got myself set up and drew a straight line in sharpie on the INSIDE face of the carpet near the top then I sprayed the top metal frame and the carpet along the drawn line. It’s easy to go offline with such a big piece. Then I attached that top edge keeping the line along the top. It just ensures that you don’t end up with it out of square.
As you go along the roof line sticking it on be careful not to stretch it.
Then I just got underneath it with my glue can and began working my way down from the top. Press it onto the flat areas of the van-don’t be tempted to pull it-it stretches easily and you’ll end up with excess carpet very quickly in corners and edges. It doesn’t shrink back easily.
Use the stretch feature to get into all the nooks and crannies and window edges and stuff.
Hope that makes sense.
That’s how I did it. But I’ve not watched any of the videos so I might be way off what’s best lol.
Thank you mate. As long as it worked for you thats all that matters!

Back