Certificate (electrical)

razza8711

VIP Member
Hi all

Have had a look around but came up blank. I’m currently in the process of converting my van.
My question is once done, do you get it certified for the electrical work. While I’m happy with the work, accidents happen and wondered would the insurance use this as a reason not to pay up, fingers crossed I’ll never have to find out.
Where would you go/recommend for electrical sign off

Thanks in advance

Reactions: CAB
So a EICR for a motorhome/caravan/ campervan? For a habitable space.

Good question that.

Any sparks to offer any advice?

I've heard of the Gas safe test...etc.

Yes essentially EICR for the van, I’ll give my insurance a buzz when I get a mo and update back here as mag be of use to others, I’ll ask vw on Friday as it’s booked for a mot then

It’s an interesting question:
From an insurance perspective, in the event of a claim, it’s possible that you might have to prove the install was done by a competent person. That’s obviously open to interpretation, but relevant background, experience and qualifications could be argued to prove competency, although there are “professional” converters that don’t know what they are doing.
If you are unsure and you want your installation checked then an AWS (approved workshop scheme -NCC accredited) should be able to inspect and test for you, but they might know less than you!!!!

Some insurers only insure professionally conversions from a list of recognised companies.

Personally I find the certification schemes cause as many issues as they solve. Take "PAT Testing" for example - the legislation is actually about everyone looking after and inspecting equipment but it's turned into "oh everything is safe so long as it has the sticker I don't even need to look at it"

If I was doing a full conversion and was concerned about that I'd just do what I would expect from anyone I had paid to do the work.
  • Have a decent design diagram
  • Show that the design is in line with good practice (18th Edition is the monster here, but I'd reference something like the Victron paper)
  • Record the installation in some photographs
  • Dare I say it have a sheet of paper to record that once a year you've had a good look at the condition and list items to check
I'd expect that if I paid for a van, it's what I'd want to give to someone who bought my van, and I'd argue it would be harder should the worst happen for an insurer to suggest it was your shonky wiring

Reactions: EAN
So I just spoke with Howdens (previously A Plan) insurance, the lady confirmed if a claim was made due to electrical e.g. a certificate of completion is required, I asked her to expand she spoke with her supervisor who said NICEIC would be required.

So I just spoke with Howdens (previously A Plan) insurance, the lady confirmed if a claim was made due to electrical e.g. a certificate of completion is required, I asked her to expand she spoke with her supervisor who said NICEIC would be required.
they'd stand no chance against enforcing that for the majority of their customers unless it was clearly defined as a requirement in key features when the policy was taken out or maybe like you you have called and there is a record.

A couple of years ago I came across a cattle truck that had just caught fire on start up, almost certainly an electrical fire. After emptying two powder extinguishers at the point of the fire it burnt the whole truck out. I hung around with the driver to try and round up the freed cattle.
I have to say that any fire investigator would be hard pressed to find the cause in a serious fire. That said I’m sure they’d try it on.

A couple of years ago I came across a cattle truck that had just caught fire on start up, almost certainly an electrical fire. After emptying two powder extinguishers at the point of the fire it burnt the whole truck out. I hung around with the driver to try and round up the freed cattle.
I have to say that any fire investigator would be hard pressed to find the cause in a serious fire. That said I’m sure they’d try it on.
This is why I was curious in the first place. I’m a ff and an often complete fdr’s (fire damage report), which can be requested by loss adjusters. All this said is exactly why I have overrated my wiring etc

I used to work offshore at sea and periodic thermographic surveys were normal on electrical systems. Many fires were caused by personal low voltage portable charging devices, the stuff people take for granted in everyday life. The stuff with CE on it (can explode)!
It’s easy to make a van electrics function, more involved to make it reliable and even more involved to make it safe.

I've seen some really thought provoking figures on the rise in office spaces for similar reasons.

They're the kind of device people buy for the cheapest price and then leave on our of the way all the time.

If you've seen BigClive strip down a genuine premium brand charger and the aftermarket equivalent the difference in the level of engineering and safety approach is very marked.

Back