CFCA Anxiety

BDKinder88

Morning All,

I've got a T5.1 T32 180 (2012 -70k miles), all was right with the world until I started chatting to a mechanic while we were both waiting for a tyre change. I've never heard the word "engine" and "hand grenade" used in the same sentence so frequently. As a result, I now assume the van will explode in a style fit for a Hollywood action movie each time I turn the key.

I've done some research and know that the EGR cooler is problematic to say the least, I know the EGR was replaced on mine about 10k before I bought it, and it's since done 9k with me with a service every 4/5K miles. I've got no idea which cooler revision was fitted as it's been stickered over.

Based on the resources in the forum I believe the best thing to do is blank the EGR and fit a Tafmet to keep the ECU happy, but I've got a couple of questions.

1. I've seen multiple blanking kits, some with 4 blanks and some only 2 - which kit is right?
2. If 4 blanks, where do the other 2 go?
3. Anyone had any issues at MOT time with the Tafmet fitted?
4. Is it really as simple as blanks and a cheater box to fix this potentially collosal problem?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and impart knowledge1000017010.jpg

Not specificity to this motor, of which I have little personal knowledge as yet, but it must be remembered that mechanics only get to mend engines when they're broken so they get to see the worst of everything all the time.

MOT purely comes down to how diligent and knowledgeable the tester is. I've got away with such wheezes in the past on cars, but others haven't been so lucky. That being the case someone elses personal experience is sadly of no bearing to you on MOT day. You can only suck it and see. Done skillfully you'll likely get away with it, but that's never a guarantee.

I'd be more worried about VOSA checks. Having worked with them on stops over the years I know how knowledgeable and pernickety they are and they will beyond a shadow of a doubt spot it. The odds of being stopped at one are incredibly low so you'd probably be fairly safe.

So, yeah, you'd probably be OK but with some caveats.

Last edited:
The biggest issue with your engine and its very well documented and is that the egr allegedly can break down and send metal particles into the engine causing excessive bore wear. This then leads to large oil consumption like litres between oil changes and eventually engine replacement at significant cost. However whilst there is lots about the issue not all are affected by it. I would suggest get an oil analysis done which you can buy a kit for kit cheaply and also look at the Darkside Developments website as they have extensive knowledge on the subject and can give you some good advice

Looks like you have the new style egr which is good, but I would still get it blanked and mapped out. If you are not experiencing any oil loss or occasional smoke when setting off you have gotten away with it. I was not so lucky, but my only show was the occasional puff of smoke on set off. This lead me to get a compression test done which showed my engine was buggered. Now I have a new engine from vw fitted which I'm really happy with, but I will be deleting the egr once I'm happy everything has settled as I can't afford to spend the cost of a small car again.

The biggest issue with your engine and its very well documented and is that the egr allegedly can break down and send metal particles into the engine causing excessive bore wear. This then leads to large oil consumption like litres between oil changes and eventually engine replacement at significant cost. However whilst there is lots about the issue not all are affected by it. I would suggest get an oil analysis done which you can buy a kit for kit cheaply and also look at the Darkside Developments website as they have extensive knowledge on the subject and can give you some good advice
Good shout on the oil analysis, i'll get that done to see the state of play. Luckily I live close to Retro Resus who I gather is an expert on all things VW but will also do some digging on Dark side Developments.

Looks like you have the new style egr which is good, but I would still get it blanked and mapped out. If you are not experiencing any oil loss or occasional smoke when setting off you have gotten away with it. I was not so lucky, but my only show was the occasional puff of smoke on set off. This lead me to get a compression test done which showed my engine was buggered. Now I have a new engine from vw fitted which I'm really happy with, but I will be deleting the egr once I'm happy everything has settled as I can't afford to spend the cost of a small car again.
So far the car hasn't shown any issues, it starts well and drives nicely so fingers crossed. It only gets used for the school run a couple of times a week (5miles) and camping trips in the summer so relatively light use.

Out of interest, how can you tell the EGR is a new style? I was looking for the letter suffix but I gather that's under the second sticker on the cooler.

Be careful with the short school runs as they won’t help in the long term, certainly every few weeks give it a good run and preferably at motorway/dual carriageway speeds for a few miles to get the engine revving and everything up to temperature properly as the school runs will not help the egr valve

With it being a pierburg after market replacement, they were meant to be the one with the coating on the fins (revised because of the known issue). Even though they are originally made by them for VW themselves, they are not allowed to sell with their own stamp for a certain period. Hope that sort of makes sense. As airhoguk said try and get the engine hot ie engine oil over 100° so it can boil water vapour off as they don't like short runs and start to cause problems further down the line.

Every couple of weeks it has a run down the motorway so the wife can go shopping if the I'm at the office with the other car so hopefully that does the trick to keep other issues at bay.

Makes total sense B.different, does that mean the after market is less susceptible? It'll still be getting the EGR blanked just to save any worries, but good to know if I can be a little less paranoid :laugh:

Just to add to the anxiety, the van gave me a 'Low oil pressure, Engine off!" Warning for a split second on the dash. I'm sure it's just messing with me now :laugh:

Get the Tafmet simulator and blanking plates. Job done. I've been running one for a couple of years now. It drives better and no anxiety :)

If you put the effort in to think about the routing of the wiring and use some Tesa loom tape, it's possible to install so no-one would ever know.... at MOT mine shows virtually no difference to before on the emissions test

Get the Tafmet simulator and blanking plates. Job done. I've been running one for a couple of years now. It drives better and no anxiety :)

If you put the effort in to think about the routing of the wiring and use some Tesa loom tape, it's possible to install so no-one would ever know.... at MOT mine shows virtually no difference to before on the emissions test
Yeah I will, it seems to get universally positive feedback. Is it sufficient to just use blank off the two EGR pipes? I've seen some kits with 4 blanking plates and some with just two.

Yeah I will, it seems to get universally positive feedback. Is it sufficient to just use blank off the two EGR pipes? I've seen some kits with 4 blanking plates and some with just two.
Yes the two blanking plates fitted as per Tafmet instructions stop everything so it's all good

Thanks, will contemplate whether to blank it off or replace the whole unit

kc
By all accounts the new replacements suffer the same problem so it's a lot of money for a new EGR and still a (high) chance of wrecking your engine. Your choice but I wouldn't personally.

Back