Charging the ignition battery whilst connected to a T6

I've just realised that my ignition battery needs charging due to very little use in the lockdown. My van has a tracker and Adrian Flux insurance tells me my insurance is void if I take the battery off the van to charge it and also, if the battery goes completely flat the tracker won't work and my insurance is void. I need to charge the battery whilst still on the van. Any advice please?

No issues, connect your charger +ve terminal on the battery and the -ve to a suitable earth point on the vehicle. Do NOT connect the -ve to the battery.

No need to remove the battery or disconnect it in order to charge it.

If you don't have a charger there's plenty on amazon, for example;

Or a solar charger to keep it topped up;

Thanks - I've got a charger. Optimate - not sure of the charging rate but I think it's a trickle charge. So positive red to positive on battery but negative on the bodywork not on the black negative on the battery. I've heard doing that - putting the black lead on hte charger on the negative on the battery causes major problems with the computer. Someone's just told me too - from Volkswagen that if you take the battery off - it messes with the functionality of various things on the van such as window winder stitches etc.

Also been told there might be a post on the engine compartment to put the black lead from the charger on. Anyone seen this or know where it is please?

No issues, connect your charger +ve terminal on the battery and the -ve to a suitable earth point on the vehicle. Do NOT connect the -ve to the battery.
Thank you. Been told there might be a post in the engine compartment to use as the negative for charging.

I don’t think there is one on a T6. There are 2 bolt heads just to the right of the battery on the wing, or the bolt which secures the battery holder at the base of the battery.

Pete

There is a main earth point just to the left of the battery left of the engine bay fuse box. Just follow the main cable from the neg on the battery it will lead you to it.

It is tucked away and a bit awkward to access, easier if you take the battery divider out.:thumbsup:

There is a main earth point just to the left of the battery left of the engine bay fuse box. Just follow the main cable from the neg on the battery it will lead you to it.

It is tucked away and a bit awkward to access, easier if you take the battery divider out.:thumbsup:
20200428_113327.jpg

My charger an Optimate is on 0.6amps. Can't I use the negative terminal on the battery? The charge rate is so low shouldn't it be okay?

Yeah as @Dellmassive says there are quite a few issues to be looking at there.

The earth point is directly under where the interesting looking relay is on the left. Undo the large plastic cross head screw on the top of the grill to get the front divider part out of the way.

Sounds like you have a poor contact to earth, make sure it is clean before you clamp on.

Don’t forget folks, he said it‘s an Optimate trickle charger.

Pete

Don’t forget folks, he said it‘s an Optimate trickle charger.

Pete

Yes you are right @Pete C depends on which optimate it is. If it’s an Optimate 4 for example 0.6a will be the highest level it will get to.

I run one on another car but just as an optimiser and it’s only looking after a tiny gel motorcycle battery.

It may work but depends on how low the battery has got. Even then it may take a while if it does work.

And it’s a MOLL battery. I’d call VW assist. There’s a recall on those @ShazzatheChef

Looks like something funky going on here too. Nothing should be connected to the -ve terminal of the battery that wasn’t put there by VW

9B9DCC8A-0F17-4423-A957-20DC3C05CB4F.jpeg

also . . . .

what this black doing on the battery, it shouldnt be there? (green)

ill assume its to do with that relay as its the same tubing? - what the relay for DLR`s, lights, hope its not a SCR =[

2_LI.jpg

Back