Charging the ignition battery whilst connected to a T6

I used my oxford oximiser (similar battery charger for looking after my motorbike battery), but only to just make sure the battery is topped up after sitting for a while and doing local journeys. Put in a max of 0.85A through the cigarette lighter. It's not really a charger, it'll work as one but will take ages

Typically I read this post after having my battery on charge for 10 hours yesterday, connected directly to the battery terminals.

I don’t appear to have done any damage, the Ctek manual does show connecting it to the terminals unless charging a battery that’s inside the vehicle.

I don’t think there is one on a T6. There are 2 bolt heads just to the right of the battery on the wing, or the bolt which secures the battery holder at the base of the battery.

Pete
I connected the black wire to one of the bolts near the bonnet hinge. Seems to be okay.

I used my oxford oximiser (similar battery charger for looking after my motorbike battery), but only to just make sure the battery is topped up after sitting for a while and doing local journeys. Put in a max of 0.85A through the cigarette lighter. It's not really a charger, it'll work as one but will take ages
My charger is 0.6Amps - so okay.

This is more of a theoretical question. If you were able to start the van with a jump start (or a Noco pack), how long would it take the alternator to charge the battery?

Is there any advantage to driving as opposed to just leaving the engine idling?

Just remember a 0.6A charger will take a long time to actually charge the battery, fine for a top up

If the battery was flat it would take approx 100 hours minimum to fully charge it !
I have charged it off the van from really low and it took three days 3 x 24 hours

time for a charger upgrade me thinks . . .

Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread
Kit List And Stuff -- How I Done It & What I Use --

This is more of a theoretical question. If you were able to start the van with a jump start (or a Noco pack), how long would it take the alternator to charge the battery?

Is there any advantage to driving as opposed to just leaving the engine idling?

"how long would it take the alternator to charge the battery?" - The alternator could deliver 140A, but the battery would only accept a max of say 20A which would reduce as the battery SOC increases (due to internal resistance and battery chemistry).

Absortion time should be taken into account "C rate" , so you would still need to drive for 10 hours or more to fully charge a flat battery.

"Is there any advantage to driving as opposed to just leaving the engine idling?" - EU6/5 van with stop start have an energy management system that controls the alternator output and charge rate. . . . . so yes and no. The ECU will raise the RPM at standstill if a high demand is required, but the engine is more efficient at higher revs.

a 90Ah van battery would take a 5A charger 18hrs to charge fully (90ah / 20A = 18hrs (theoretical))
a 90Ah van battery would take a 10A charger 9hrs to charge fully (90ah / 10A = 9hrs (theoretical))
a 90Ah van battery would take a 20A charger 4.5hrs to charge fully (90ah / 20A = 4.5hrs (theoretical))

a 90Ah van battery would take a 0.6A charger 150hrs to charge fully (90ah / 10A = 150hrs (theoretical)) - that 6.25days or a week !!!!

have look here for more:

Battery Chargers - How I Did It -
Which Jump Starter?
Lithium Lifepo4 12v Batteries - - - Time For An Upgrade ? - - -
Battery Charging - Main Battery Earth Point -
Dc-dc Charger (for Leisure Battery) -- How I Done It --
Stop/start...regen...smart Alternator... Dc-dc Charger For Leisure Battery Or Not?
Battery Monitoring -- How I Done It --

Last edited:
Back