Clunk clunk clunk

Yeah, but you can't get into 2m carparks if you have roof bars :)
This was exactly my motivation - retaining my roof bars and still getting under the work car park barrier!! Plus it looks cool and drives much better (the upgraded RAC T32 springs I had were overkill without all the RAC gear in the back)... when it's not making unwanted noises that is!! :oops:

I'm now wondering if it's the brakes making the noise

The noise is the higher pitched clunk/click on this video - it happens as I press the brake. Haven't been able to record the rattling as I go over a bump yet, but it's similar and I get an additional metallic jangling noise - very odd - or is this just normal for a T6?

Someone needs to take the Up out of Upgrade, leave it as stock and it’s keeps on rolling.
Mostly we agree !! , we like to use Genuine VW parts where ever possible BUT the reason everyone is scrambling to make better rear mounts is because the standard springs are made with tapering wire , and all the after market springs are constant diameter wire , They simply dont fit well in to the rubber and we believe this causes excessive wear .
The reason we dont agree with the Powerflex design is that they havent recessed the rubber where the spring seats and we experienced the springs slipping off the mount while fitting them , too hit and miss for our liking and as you can see our new design has a deep dish suitable for the thicker diameter after market spring .

The noise is the higher pitched clunk/click on this video - it happens as I press the brake. Haven't been able to record the rattling as I go over a bump yet, but it's similar and I get an additional metallic jangling noise - very odd - or is this just normal for a T6?
definitely not normal , it sounds more like a shock to me from your video ?? The lower rubber normally is noisy at parking speeds and on curbs etc

definitely not normal , it sounds more like a shock to me from your video ?? The lower rubber normally is noisy at parking speeds and on curbs etc
Yeah, having had a closer look at rubbers I think they're OK. Have you had any issues with ST-X shocks? Been on about 18 months / 10k miles

Yeah, having had a closer look at rubbers I think they're OK. Have you had any issues with ST-X shocks? Been on about 18 months / 10k miles
The rear shock on the STX kit is actually an Alcon part ( Not KW ) . considering how many kits are out there , there isnt really a lot of problems .. we have had 2 that were leaking but none making a noise

The rear shock on the STX kit is actually an Alcon part ( Not KW ) . considering how many kits are out there , there isnt really a lot of problems .. we have had 2 that were leaking but none making a noise
That's good to know. I'll get it checked out anyway - I'd def head your way if I wasn't so far away and I had the time to get up to you!

Cuiken- sincerely hope your perseverance pays off . I had a clicking noise coming from front of my van, local garage suspected driveshaft issue so had this and top mounts replaced- had the van back 2 days and now I hear this intermittently is this anything like the noise you have??? Thoughts on what it might be?

Turns out this was an aftermarket brake pad rattling - Delphi pads aren't quite the same size as OEM, so they periodically just rattle around - FFS!

Cuiken- sincerely hope your perseverance pays off . I had a clicking noise coming from front of my van, local garage suspected driveshaft issue so had this and top mounts replaced- had the van back 2 days and now I hear this intermittently is this anything like the noise you have??? Thoughts on what it might be?

Nothing like that on mine I'm afraid. More of a single 'clunk' when slow manouvering over bumps (dropping off a curb for example) or a percussive rattle when going over uneven road surfaces at ~20mph.

Your's sounds like something rubbing maybe? Certainly, it appears to vary with wheel speed.

Updates on my issue:

1. New spring seats turned up from @CRS Performance . Thanks Steve, these look great. We were away camping for two weeks so I've not done anything with them yet. Additionally, despite doing 1000 miles over the last fortnight with the van very heavily loaded, the 6 year old, re-used, spring seats that I fitted three weeks back are still squeak free! It was a very wet fortnight so I can't believe much of the grease I used during installation is still present, so maybe it is just a matter of very careful installation? Either way, should the squeak return, I have the new spring seats ready. Really grateful, thanks again.

2. The 'clunk' from the front of our van persists. I'd have thought a heavily loaded 1000 mile trip over badly surfaced single track roads would have caused it to deteriorate further but no. While we heard plenty of noise from the front of the van during our travels (20mph on uneven surfaces pretty much characterises the driving experience in parts of the Outer Hebrides) it got no worse or no better and remains a mystery. Quite distracting and even worrying on the small roads but, on a smooth road above 40mph, you'll never hear it.

I keep thinking the only thing that is left to change are the CV joints but the noise is just as likely to occur when 'freewheeling' down hill or under heavy load climbing a steep hill. It's also no more likely to occur when driving in staright line of cornering. So, I don't think it has the signature of a CV issue.

Last gasp would be to strip the front struts back out of the van and fully inspect the garage's install. Is it possible they somehow messed up one/both of the top mounts? Would this even create a clunking/rattling sound?

Question, how hard is it to strip the front struts out of a T32 model? I gather it's easier than the T28 and T30 ones? With all the work done recently, at least all the nuts and bolts should move without too much difficulty.

Cheers,

Cuiken

Last edited:
This was exactly my motivation - retaining my roof bars and still getting under the work car park barrier!! Plus it looks cool and drives much better (the upgraded RAC T32 springs I had were overkill without all the RAC gear in the back)... when it's not making unwanted noises that is!! :oops:

Yep, the van is our only vehicle and daily driver so it needs to be able to do everything and go everywhere. Lowering it to get below 2m was this only option to be able to use car parks that we occasionally need to access.

Nothing like that on mine I'm afraid. More of a single 'clunk' when slow manouvering over bumps (dropping off a curb for example) or a percussive rattle when going over uneven road surfaces at ~20mph.

Your's sounds like something rubbing maybe? Certainly, it appears to vary with wheel speed.

Updates on my issue:

1. New spring seats turned up from @CRS Performance . Thanks Steve, these look great. We were away camping for two weeks so I've not done anything with them yet. Additionally, despite doing 1000 miles over the last fortnight with the van very heavily loaded, the 6 year old, re-used, spring seats that I fitted three weeks back are still squeak free! It was a very wet fortnight so I can't believe much of the grease I used during installation is still present, so maybe it is just a matter of very careful installation? Either way, should the squeak return, I have the new spring seats ready. Really grateful, thanks again.

2. The 'clunk' from the front of our van persists. I'd have thought a heavily loaded 1000 mile trip over badly surfaced single track roads would have caused it to deteriorate further but no. While we heard plenty of noise from the front of the van during our travels (20mph on uneven surfaces pretty much characterises the driving experience in parts of the Outer Hebrides) it got no worse or no better and remains a mystery. Quite distracting and even worrying on the small roads but, on a smooth road above 40mph, you'll never hear it.

I keep thinking the only thing that is left to change are the CV joints but the noise is just as likely to occur when 'freewheeling' down hill or under heavy load climbing a steep hill. It's also no more likely to occur when driving in staright line of cornering. So, I don't think it has the signature of a CV issue.

Last gasp would be to strip the front struts back out of the van and fully inspect the garage's install. Is it possible they somehow messed up one/both of the top mounts? Would this even create a clunking/rattling sound?

Question, how hard is it to strip the front struts out of a T32 model? I gather it's easier than the T28 and T30 ones? With all the work done recently, at least all the nuts and bolts should move without too much difficulty.

Cheers,

Cuiken
I would say , if you remove the front struts a tell tale sign of movement is always shiny metal ,, Have you checked the top retaining washer ( the big one inside the scuttle area ) Its metal one side rubber the other , make sure that hasn't been put on upside down . that will make odd noises. We have only seen this twice in 4000 vans so its not a common problem , but needs to be checked .

I would say , if you remove the front struts a tell tale sign of movement is always shiny metal ,, Have you checked the top retaining washer ( the big one inside the scuttle area ) Its metal one side rubber the other , make sure that hasn't been put on upside down . that will make odd noises. We have only seen this twice in 4000 vans so its not a common problem , but needs to be checked .
Yes, checked this before. It was here that I found (despite instructions not to) that the garage had used the smaller nuts (that come packaged with the shocks) on the top of the strut assembly rather than the ~16mm deep VW ones.

As a result, the top washer/plate was clamped down hard against the top of the wheel arch. This was only for ~100 miles or so but I just wonder if the resultant pressure on the top mount might have somehow seperated the metal portion from the rubber. Grabbing at straws frankly but can't think of anything else.

Cheers.

Okay, a final (and possibly unsatisfying) outcome update:

Two weeks ago I decided to just go for it and remove and reinstall the front struts myself. For those not following this saga, they are a set of shocks/springs/anciliaries provided by @CRS Performance and fitted by a local garage.

I jacked up each side and removed the strut (dead easy on a T32) then dismanteled the strut using spring compressors etc and then reassembled carefully. It really was a piece of p!ss and I only wish I'd done it myself in the first place.

What did I find? Well, that is the unsatisfying part. Not much. Everything appeared fine.

After reassebly though, the clunk was gone. What did I do? Who knows, but the van is now back to being as quiet as a van is ever going to be with no percussive knocking coming back through the floor.

I guess you could argue that the garage I used to do the initial install must have messed it up but I could not find any issues with any of the install as I removed all the parts. Everything was as it should be with no incorrectly installed or tightened nuts/bots etc.

So, what can I say? Great to have the van back to normal. We've done 1000 miles since I reinstalled the shocks and all remains well. The rear creaking is also gone (on it's original 6 year old spring seats, again, carefully reinstalled be me). However, I have no idea what I actually did to fix it which, as a forum post, has next to no value :)

as a forum post, has next to no value :)
Hi @Cuiken
I’m at the stage of having very occasional clunks when first pulling away after reversing.
Also noting mine pulling slightly in direction of camber.

I would say your posts, including and especially this one, will definitely have value to others suffering similar issues.

You may not have noticed anything, but it appears something must’ve been not quite right. Your dismantling and careful reassembly had sorted it. Well done you and thank you for posting.
Andy

By jove, I think I have finally figured it out!

Before I go into this, I want to assure you there is a happy ending (for those suffering PTSD from this sorry tale).

So, the noise came back. I was dissapointed (understatement). I had another look underneath and spotted something.

When I removed/refitted the front shocks I spotted that the clips that attach the wheel arch liner to the front bumper were missing. These guys:

1724060966340.png

Odd, I thought and found a set of clips in my box of bits that I could use to replace them. Why they were missing at all is a bit of a mystery. Did the garage who fitted the shocks feel the need to remove the liner when doing the job?

So, when I reported that the clunk/rattle was gone, I omitted to say I'd replaced these clips while I was underneath the van. I just couldn't believe they would be involved.

When I noted the sound had come back, I looked underneath and spotted that one of the clips had fallen out again (they weren't the right ones for the job). Upon finding a bettter replacement and fitting that, the sound has, once again, gone!

Is this really what it was? A slightly loose bumper/wheel arch liner? Seems too good to be true but, so far, we're back to serene, clunk free driving.

To be clear, there were other culprits along the way. The lower ball joint replacement made a big difference as did my refitting of the rear spring mounts. This was just the last, irritating, sound that I couldn't find.

I'm hoping this is the issue resolved now but I'm confident enough to suggest that, should you have a clkunk/rattle from the front of your own van, that these clips are worth checking.

Hopefully that will help somebody out.

Back