Coil overs... I think

Badjamin

Live long and camper!
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi Guys. I noticed that my near side ride height is about 20mm lower than the off side.
Just wanting to see if anyone can confirm these are adjustable coil-overs please?
They're pretty caked so I was thinking I could take the wheel off and jet wash them, is this a bad idea?
Also I seem to be rubbing on full lock by the looks of it :-/
I have access to a steam cleaner but it's not a pressure one so probably would shift much.

1717859506971.png1717859879800.png

They appear to be adjustable, based on the double (locking) rings on the shock body.
Check the position of the rings on each side first to see if it is similar. If they are, and assuming that you dont carry loads of weight on one side, it may be a broken spring so check all of the components for damage too.
If you do need to adjust them, I would try soaking in a degreaser and a toothbrush in the threads first. You'll need a pair of suitably sized C spanners/ hook spanners for the rings.
Remember to reprotect any bare metal afterwards too.

They look like Bilsteins B14's at a glance but yes they are pretty cacked up .
Give them a good scrub, clean the threads up and see if you can free the adjusters is the first step .

I would bet that those adjustable shocks ( B14 ) are shot that mess looks like oil and the dust covers are missing and the bump stops look like they have been cut down or swapped for something non standard. This will cause the shocks to fail for sure .

I would bet that those adjustable shocks ( B14 ) are shot that mess looks like oil and the dust covers are missing and the bump stops look like they have been cut down or swapped for something non standard. This will cause the shocks to fail for sure .
Yeah I did wonder about the significant oil and muck. A friend had a look yesterday and said they look like cheap coilivers - the previous owner looks to have done a lot to the van but definitely on the cheap. Cheap roof rail rhat looks to be letting water in, cheapnside bar brackets that are rusting too.

I will be cleaning the shicks up this week and will post some more pics. the van is lower front and back on the near side so I'd thought I'd try adjust the coilivers myself but am wondering if the shocks themselves are shot, that that's why it's got the lean on one side...

Jo-lean has yet another problem for my wallet...

I was all ready to get wheels off for adjusting but I'm guessing it's normal for ride height to lift and drop dependant on where parked. Mine seem lower on one side sometimes and level at others with the rear offside being 10mm up consistently. I'm thinkin I'll leave the suspension alone. Every time I do something another issue comes up! :D

I got drips in driver footwell to figure out. Gonna have a look at the roof rack fixings and possibly try get behind the skuttle mesh and check for blockage. I'm praying it's not the windscreen letting water in

Screenshot_20240610_161927_Photos.jpgScreenshot_20240610_161857_Photos.jpg

Back