Conduit in poptop strengthening frame possible?

4motion man

Hi everyone,

I’m off to Skyline next week for a standard SWB poptop roof install.
I have a t6 twin slider and my question really is, will say 20mm outside diameter flexible conduit fit inside the strengthening frame down the near and offsides?
I’m having led down lights put in there (location to be decided but I can have up to four) and so wondering if there is a natural channel into which this conduit could go.
I’m really hoping it can be done and also threaded with fish tape or similar so I can feed or pull cables/wires through later on.
I suppose the crux of the matter is, is there room for it or maybe smaller conduit and where would it exit, especially where the B pillar is; I can see where it would come down the D pillar.

I'm investigating similar currently. Have a westdubs roof and can definitely get a cable down the strengthening frame as I've been on there with an endoscope. Finding the opening to the top of the D-pillar is another matter however!

I would just ask for a spare bit of cable to be run in each side of the frame.
Held in place with a few small bits of tape. This will stop it getting trapped on anything when being fitted and easily pulls away when you need it.

Use this to then pull through what you need. You will most probably struggle with 20mm. But may get a few 10mm conduit through.

Sorry, I only just saw your comments today, my notification emails keep going into Spam for some reason. Anyway, in the event, Skyline talked me out of the conduit idea, seemingly because of the risk of a Tek screw going into it during installation of the frame and also, being quite hard plastic, the conduit could rattle against the metal when driving, which would be annoying.
So, instead, they ran my 3 core for the two way switching from B to D and my reversing camera wire, tied to the existing loom, which they then re-attached to the van before fitting the frame.
In terms of future wiring, I do have cables already in two lengths of conduit that run between each rear quarter panel and through the metal section along the roof line at the back doors.
I was keen to especially protect the 240v cable that I have run to the n/s C pillar and also protect the 12v cable from potentially picking up any disturbance from the 240v. Separated as they are by their own conduit I have achieved this.
Thanks for your comments guys.

Last edited:
I would just ask for a spare bit of cable to be run in each side of the frame.
Held in place with a few small bits of tape. This will stop it getting trapped on anything when being fitted and easily pulls away when you need it.

Use this to then pull through what you need. You will most probably struggle with 20mm. But may get a few 10mm conduit through.
I’m glad you have suggested this as I still have the opportunity to do this but seeing as the frame is already in, by using the 3 core mentioned earlier, to pull through 2 spare lengths and then using one of them to pull the 3 core back through.

Back